Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Want a smoother ride, suggestions ?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a smoother ride, suggestions ?

I've got a 2005 N/A Coupé. I live in Iceland, the roads here are pretty bumpy, i can feel every bump from under the car right up my ***!

What would you guys suggest in terms of making the ride better ? Koni's ?

I had a BMW 325i 2005 wich i traded in for this car and driving the bimmer in iceland was like
driving on cloud compared to the Crossfire...

Any suggestions ?

Regards
-Jónas

Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Want a smoother ride, suggestions ?

Your BMW had a longer wheelbase, and had tires that were not as low profile as your Crossfire.
The BMW is a Sports Coupe, Sports Roadster, or Sports Sedan. Your Crossfire is a Sports Car. That alone means it's probably going to ride a little firmer.
Get some Mercedes SLK wheels, and get some 50 series tires, it will ride better.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM

You could get a Caddilac.... Kidding... The Xfire just rides tight.. Not much room for wheel travel, so ... it's a rough ride.. but it sticks to the road, and that's what it's all about...

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Your BMW had a longer wheelbase, and had tires that were not as low profile as your Crossfire.
The BMW is a Sports Coupe, Sports Roadster, or Sports Sedan. Your Crossfire is a Sports Car. That alone means it's probably going to ride a little firmer.
Get some Mercedes SLK wheels, and get some 50 series tires, it will ride better.
I had it on 19inch M6 wheels with 265/30r19 in the back and 235/35r19 in the front so i doubt it is the tires or wheels.

Are you telling me (i know very little about cars in general) that there is nothing i can do to soften up the ride of the XFIRE ? New aftermarket springs, damper or something?

Regards
-Jonas

Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bear505
You could get a Caddilac.... Kidding... The Xfire just rides tight.. Not much room for wheel travel, so ... it's a rough ride.. but it sticks to the road, and that's what it's all about...
Hawhaw !

There's actually hard to find a Caddy in Iceland, except for an Escalade.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the BMW's I see around here have higher profile "stock" tires than the "stock" tires my Crossfire came with. That's what I was talking about.
Just going from a series 35 to a series 45 you would probably feel a difference. But obviously it wasn't the tires on your Bimmer since they're as low or lower profile than what came from the factory on your XF.
If you have an NA Crossfire, that's the softest springs you're going to get. The SRT's have stiffer springs. Maybe better shocks will help a little, but I doubt if it's going to make much, (if any) difference.
Most aftermarket spring are usually stiffer, because there really isn't that much demand for "softer" springs for sports cars in general. But maybe there is a compatible Mercedes "family" sedan spring that may interchange with the springs that are currently used on our cars, and that may be something for you to check out.
The reason I suggested a higher profile tire, is because the taller sidewall on a high profile tire will absorb more of the shock you get from road's irregularities, than what the lower profile tires will.
If your roads are plagued with pot holes, there is a very good chance you will soon discover cracks in your "stock" wheels.
Stiff suspension, short wheel base, and rotten roads do not add up to a pleasant driving experience, that's for sure.
Good Luck Jonas

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Theres not so many potholes, just allot of speed bumps (bad ones, big and chunky) everywhere, and the straight roads have patches in them everywhere and it seems that they cannot make these patches align with the road, so it always sticks a little bit up, thats why it's so bumpy.
Driving at 50mph on my way to work can be challenging sometimes, trying to avoid these patches on the road ! Haha.

But anyway, thanks for your help fireamx, i'll buy some winter tires next week, so i guess i'll be look into buying some 45 - 55 profile winter tires.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

the konis set to soft will be softer than the srt6 oem shocks

Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM

today I changed the wheels on my CF, i have installed for a test 17" rim and higher tire to bring it to the normal, or close to normal position, what a diferent in the ride WAW, the car rides still like a sports car, but it "shaved" off all the little unplesant harsh jump over the little bumps on the road, and it makes the car much quiter.I love it. my dentures do not fall off any more....