Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Michelin Pilot All-Season 3

Old 01-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin Pilot All-Season 3

I am on my second set of AS3s that have only lasted 10,000 miles. They are now basically click on the rears. Has anyone else had this experience?

Old 01-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Pilot All-Season 3

Originally Posted by smokey847
I am on my second set of AS3s that have only lasted 10,000 miles. They are now basically click on the rears. Has anyone else had this experience?
Is it just the rear tires? When I owned a Corvette in my early twenty's the rear tires only lasted 6 months of ownership.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a little over 12000 miles on mine, rears are shot, fronts still have about 1/3rd left. I wont be replacing with the AS3 again...

Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

In Feb 2014 I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 (285/30ZR-19 98Y) on the rear of my NA coupe. They have 27,775 miles on them and have a good deal of tread remaining. Five months earlier I took the car to a Mercedes dealer for an alignment. I've been very happy with the A/S3 and will probably buy the same come time for replacement. I run between 28 and 33 psi in the rear.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey847
How are they wearing?
Center edge etc. ?
What area do you live in?

Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts

The Michelin Pilot A/S 3 should get pretty good wear based on its UTQG rating of 500. But another factor in wear is the AA/A rating for traction/wear. This tires was designed by Michelin to really grip the road. Info from Tire Rack site stipulates:

"The Pilot Sport A/S 3 includes a W- and Y-speed rated Ultra High Performance All-Season tire member of Michelin's Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires developed for the drivers of high-end sports cars, sporty coupes and sedans looking for total performance. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire is designed to provide Michelin's highest level of ultra-high all-season performance, emphasizing dry road handling and wet road grip while retaining all-season traction for occasional light snow."

Any tire with that much grip is going to wear. Curious that Michelin rated the tire life as 500 (which in any case is a dubious ranking) and said the tire would also have significant grip.

And based on feedback, wear on these tires is widely varied by XFire owners.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323

Any tire with that much grip is going to wear. Curious that Michelin rated the tire life as 500 (which in any case is a dubious ranking) and said the tire would also have significant grip.

And based on feedback, wear on these tires is widely varied by XFire owners.
Same with the continental dws and gmax.
Both are all season tires.
I have ran both of those, on 275 gmax's I got over 30k miles and did better that I thought they would in light snow, the wet traction was great.
Put on the 285 dws in November and happy so far, have not had to put them in snow like I did the Gmax but are supposed to be better, I think the Gmax is better in rain.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

My opinion these cars just eat rear tires. MB's are like that as well do to the rear camber setup. I'll be putting on my 3rd set of tires for the rear since ive owned this car, had some BFG's sport comp 2's first they lasted a year, put on some conti's and they are bald now after 1.5 years. Since ive had my car ive put about 40k on it in the 3 years ive owned it.

My current set are conti's dws all season at 285, ill be going back to stock size since the car is going to eat up the tires in year anyway. The front dont wear out as fast as the rear.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular

I also will be going back to stock sizes, it just isn't worth the price premium. This isn't the only thread here that concludes that these cars go through rear tires quickly.

It may also have something to do with driving style....

Old 02-22-2016, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Thornh
I also will be going back to stock sizes, it just isn't worth the price premium. This isn't the only thread here that concludes that these cars go through rear tires quickly.

With rotating the Gmax I was glad with the milage I got out of them.
I use the wider tires for the better grip in winter, more contact patch, can't rotate the dsw though.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Thornh

Well your prolly right there, im putting down much more power then stock and I did use to burn them up when I first got the car, but I dont do that anymore. Stuff breaks and everything on this car is priced at the MB prices that it shares its platform and parts with so you learn quickly enough.

As I DD this car though it is a tire eater even if your not hooning it. Mine wear down the middle.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:57 PM

My friend with his Clio Sport RS have this, same tires but he changes them every 20/25k km thats about every 12/15k miles so i guess its normal.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:24 AM
Forum Regular

I tried the AS3 on the black one and also experienced early tire wear. Went back to the PS2. No complaints and now run PS2's on both cars.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I do love this tire. I have them in the rear to balance out how my front tires last too long. It was rated best in braking on the car and Driver magazine.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:26 PM

I was just shocked to get a good look at my rear tires that have only 10,000 miles on them and see they are down to the steel belt on the inside edge. The outside edges are basically bald too. The fronts look less than 50% used. I realize these are performance tires but c'mon.

How much of this is inherent to the design of the suspension and how much can I ascribe to bad alignment?

But in the meantime I'm replacing these with a tire I found at Discount Tire, the Barum Bravuris 3. Apparently owned by Continental, they are $111 each vs $275 for the Michelins. I'm fullu aware of the old saw that "you get what you pay for," but I'll be honest, I have not been a fan of the Michelin premium price vs. performance and life for a long time. The Barum Bravuris 3 have some good reviews, but not many of them. But $600 for two identical replacements means the convertible sits in the garage for a few weeks. We only drive it during the nicest weather about 3000 mile a year anyway.

If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

If both inside and outside edges are worn down, but not the middle, then your air pressure is too low.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by patrickjherbert
But in the meantime I'm replacing these with a tire I found at Discount Tire, the Barum Bravuris 3. Apparently owned by Continental, they are $111 each vs $275 for the Michelins. I'm fullu aware of the old saw that "you get what you pay for," but I'll be honest, I have not been a fan of the Michelin premium price vs. performance and life for a long time. The Barum Bravuris 3 have some good reviews, but not many of them. But $600 for two identical replacements means the convertible sits in the garage for a few weeks. We only drive it during the nicest weather about 3000 mile a year anyway.

I put a complete set on back in FEB. So far, I'm pleased with the tire ride & performance. Tires reviews on the Barum Bravuris 3M in Europe are very good. Excellent tire value vs. cost. Continental is the leading tire seller in Europe - outsells Michelin! There are several of us running these tires on our Crossfires.

Later,

Old 06-18-2016, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
If both inside and outside edges are worn down, but not the middle, then your air pressure is too low.
Agreed - This wear pattern is a "dead give-away" to low tire pressure. If you're running the factory recommended pressure, you'll probably get this tire wear. Strictly a matter of grip vs. wear.

I've got 36 psig in all my tires, and quite a few Crossfire Owners run similar pressures (35-37 psig).

Old 06-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickjherbert
I was just shocked to get a good look at my rear tires that have only 10,000 miles on them and see they are down to the steel belt on the inside edge. The outside edges are basically bald too. The fronts look less than 50% used. I realize these are performance tires but c'mon.

How much of this is inherent to the design of the suspension and how much can I ascribe to bad alignment?

I have the same tires from discount Tire and I so far I'm very happy with them they are quiet and responsive as far as handling I definitely will be buying another set and by the way I run 36 pounds all the way around and so far perfect wear. But let's keep this our secret or else they will be jacking the price up LOL! 😉 PS ; they have a ( Y ) speed rating.

Last edited by kingdavid54; 06-18-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yep, $480 delivered for a full set is a GREAT price !
Let us know if they prove to be a good tire.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot All-Season 3