Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Brake lines

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lines

I just had the r/r brake line replaced, told a hole had rusted in it...anyone else had this problem?

Old 02-12-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Brake lines

No, but I don't drive in snow down here. Haven't heard of any one else with that problem either.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtimer48
I just had the r/r brake line replaced, told a hole had rusted in it...anyone else had this problem?
Just had mine replaced, nearside and offside. one of them midway along the car behind a cover actually burst leaving me with a brake pedal that went fully down and very decreased braking pressure. had to have both pipes replaced from midway along the car, over the back axle and out to the flexible hoses. Bit scary that they had gone to that and not picked up on annual MOT.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Everytime I replace hard brake lines I use aluminized copper, never have to worry about rust again
On brake lines anyway.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Everytime I replace hard brake lines I use aluminized copper, never have to worry about rust again
On brake lines anyway.
I thought it was a copper nickel alloy that was used. Good idea though.
The brake lines running under the car body just have all the road crud sit on them and that leads to corrosion. I have had it happen twice to cars I have had.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 PM

Can buy it in stock at any autoparts store.
I have never had a problem picking it up.
Have to ask for it and say how many feet you want. Can buy per foot or get a coil of it.
If the bad brake line has good ends, then I get my length and bends on line then cut the ends off the old line and flare on the new line.
the aluminized copper bends and flares alot easier than steel also.

DO NOT use normal copper from a hardware store, it is to soft, will work but under hard pressure like a emergency stop, can rupture the line.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

I must have a bad search engine but nowhere does aluminized copper brake line appear, there is aluminized steel line.
As I said the line to use is the copper nickel alloy that is used by Volvo in its cars.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I must have a bad search engine but nowhere does aluminized copper brake line appear, there is aluminized steel line.
As I said the line to use is the copper nickel alloy that is used by Volvo in its cars.
Could be it, I haven't bought any for awhile, still have abunch coiled up in my shop.