Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

brake comparison

Old 02-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default brake comparison

Gentlemen - This is just a point of information for everyone. We've all had some complaints about our XF's brakes at one time or another. I just purchased a Jeep Compass model, and I have to tell you, it has the finest brakes that I have ever had the pleasure of using. They are activated the moment you start just a little pressure on the pedal. Just a little more pressure and they are noticeably stopping the car.

My point is, if we could find a way to get these brakes on our XF's we would all be very happy - I promise you. I've never felt brakes like this in my 80 years. I don't know what Chrysler/Jeep did to get this kind of superb brake, but it is great. No pushing the brake half way, or more, to the floor, and NO SPONGY brake feel. About a 1/4" of pedal movement and you have firm, positive brake feel.

If anyone has any ideas on how this is done, please let all of us know. Is there a Chrysler/Jeep mechanic or engineer on this site?

Jim

Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: brake comparison

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Gentlemen - This is just a point of information for everyone. We've all had some complaints about our XF's brakes at one time or another. I just purchased a Jeep Compass model, and I have to tell you, it has the finest brakes that I have ever had the pleasure of using. They are activated the moment you start just a little pressure on the pedal. Just a little more pressure and they are noticeably stopping the car.

My point is, if we could find a way to get these brakes on our XF's we would all be very happy - I promise you. I've never felt brakes like this in my 80 years. I don't know what Chrysler/Jeep did to get this kind of superb brake, but it is great. No pushing the brake half way, or more, to the floor, and NO SPONGY brake feel. About a 1/4" of pedal movement and you have firm, positive brake feel.

If anyone has any ideas on how this is done, please let all of us know. Is there a Chrysler/Jeep mechanic or engineer on this site?

Jim

Me thinks it is a factory defect. FCA will be issuing a recall on this and any other car/truck that works as expected.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Jim
With the ignition OFF the brake pedal movement is much less than when it is on, you would really have to push hard to stop the car though. With the engine running the pedal gets soft. Maybe the ABS system gets working and the oil moves around in a larger circuit. I often think my ABS has air in it and bluecoupe says my pedal travel is more than his in his SRT, I do not think my NA had this much travel but ...?
There is a gap between the pedal lever plunger and the rod in the power brake vacuum gizmo and that will take some pedal movement to overcome. I am at a loss for the reason for the excessive travel though.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:50 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave (180) - Hope I got your name correct. Anyway, some time ago I think you had a posting with a diagram showing the brake push rod, master, and booster. Am I correct? I would like to see that again but not sure what to look under.

What I'm getting at is: #1 would a longer push rod solve the brake travel problem, #2 Does anyone make a longer push rod or is there an existing push rod that can be adapted, #3 Could the problem with travel and soft pedal be related to the brake booster. If the excessive travel is inside the brake booster, can it be modified or replace with some other booster that is better? I would NOT want to remove the existing push rod, cut it, weld in a matching piece thus giving me a longer rod. I don't want any welded part's in the brake system. Weld's are not foolproof. Another thing I noticed, before starting the engine I can press on the brake pedal, force of habit, and it has very little travel and is hard as a rock. Start the engine and the pedal goes down and gets spongy.

If you have any idea's I'd love to hear them. I'm sure we'll never get brakes as good as the Jeep I mentioned, but any improvement would be welcomed. I've been to two shops that I trust completely. They've checked everything, ie. master cylinder, calipers, brake lines, bleeding several times, and neither shop can find anything wrong. I've put on new rotors, ceramic pads, stainless brake lines with very little, some, but very little improvement.

Everyone's thoughts are welcomed. GraphiteGhost - I bet your right, Chrysler/Jeep will issue a recall because something does work properly.

Jim

Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Dave (180) - Hope I got your name correct. Anyway, some time ago I think you had a posting with a diagram showing the brake push rod, master, and booster. Am I correct? I would like to see that again but not sure what to look under.

What I'm getting at is: #1 would a longer push rod solve the brake travel problem, #2 Does anyone make a longer push rod or is there an existing push rod that can be adapted, #3 Could the problem with travel and soft pedal be related to the brake booster. If the excessive travel is inside the brake booster, can it be modified or replace with some other booster that is better? I would NOT want to remove the existing push rod, cut it, weld in a matching piece thus giving me a longer rod. I don't want any welded part's in the brake system. Weld's are not foolproof. Another thing I noticed, before starting the engine I can press on the brake pedal, force of habit, and it has very little travel and is hard as a rock. Start the engine and the pedal goes down and gets spongy.

If you have any idea's I'd love to hear them. I'm sure we'll never get brakes as good as the Jeep I mentioned, but any improvement would be welcomed. I've been to two shops that I trust completely. They've checked everything, ie. master cylinder, calipers, brake lines, bleeding several times, and neither shop can find anything wrong. I've put on new rotors, ceramic pads, stainless brake lines with very little, some, but very little improvement.

Everyone's thoughts are welcomed. GraphiteGhost - I bet your right, Chrysler/Jeep will issue a recall because something does work properly.

Jim
I read somewhere that there has to be a gap between the push rods t allow for the expansion of hot brake fluid. I cannot quite get a grasp of it though.