WTB - Items/Parts Wanted to Buy - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

WTB - Windshield Wiper Grommet

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default WTB - Windshield Wiper Grommet

Looking for the black grommet (also referred to as a seal or isolator) for my driver's side wiper arm.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WTB - Windshield Wiper Grommet

I just went to my local Chrysler dealership and was able to order one. The cost was under $5.

Part #'s

MB1708240098
DC 5101283AA

Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 PM

Thanks jv.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it doesn't fit well, I got mine at needswings.com - cheap!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneRaider
If it doesn't fit well, I got mine at needswings.com - cheap!
The PDF on the isolator install.
CLICK
I'd get two of them and replace the existing one as well so they match.
Also clean out the area under the cowl if you decide to take the cowl off, you might as well with the wiper arms removed, just a little more work.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-08-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to carve out some of the plastic that is misaligned around the driver side wiper arm so that the rubber grommet will fit. I did this after I read on the forum that some others did this. It kind of bugged me that the grommet was missing. Would you believe the gas mileage improved and so did the pick up…………kidding of course. All the Crossfires at the MI Woodward show had missing grommets, except for the few that replaced them. Chrysler should have had a recall, very dangerous, lives could have been lost………...

Old 10-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BisB
You may need to carve out some of the plastic that is misaligned around the driver side wiper arm so that the rubber grommet will fit. I did this after I read on the forum that some others did this. It kind of bugged me that the grommet was missing. Would you believe the gas mileage improved and so did the pick up…………kidding of course. All the Crossfires at the MI Woodward show had missing grommets, except for the few that replaced them. Chrysler should have had a recall, very dangerous, lives could have been lost………...
You will definitely need to open up the existing hole as it is way too small.
The PDF gives the size of the hole.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-08-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What exactly is this piece?
NVM, I think I figured it out. I am pretty sure I have the nut caps, never looked for that grommet. Obviously not a "missing" piece, more of a "never installed" piece, not like they can fall off.

Last edited by pioneer4x4; 10-08-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:49 PM

Ordered an isolator from dealer for $2 (employee price) and put it on today. Not to over simplify, but I just enlarged the driver side cowl hole, lubed up the isolator with 303 and slid it in place over the wiper arm after removing the wiper blade.
Appreciate the input guys.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Re: Windshield Wiper Grommet - Driver Side

I got the grommet from Jim and took the easier way to make it fit
I simply cut a V section out of the grommet so it would come together enough to fit in the existing hole in the cowl.
I also placed the spot that was cut under the wiper arm to make it fit best where the post is close to the cowl and it cant even be seen
This method was much easier than cutting the hole in the cowl too
Now I just need to coat the cowl with a product to bring back the rich black look

Grommet Installed

Last edited by Valk; 04-05-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I use Meguires Tire Gel, lasts about a year.
It's better if you take the cowl off, then you could do the grommet properly too

Old 05-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default DS Wiper Arm Grommet

I took the time this morning to remove the DS Wiper Arm and remove the rubber grommet I installed last fall. Due to the misalignment between the cowl opening and the DS wiper arm spindle, I wanted to open up the hole more than I did last fall (didn't want to remove the cowling) to allow the grommet to fit & look better. I used a small linoleum knife (had to sharpen it up some to cut thru the cowling) to open up the hole. I followed onehunder80's lead and used a fender washer positioned over the wiper arm drive spindle to draw an outline of the required opening (or something relatively close). I then slowly worked my way around the outline slicing out small sections to produce the required opening. Had to check fitment & appearance as I got close to finishing up the hole enlargement to make sure I didn't remove too much cowling material. Final hole wasn't the most round-looking result, but once the grommet was installed, one would never know that fact. Re-installed the DS wiper arm and re-torqued nut to 19 N-m per Shop Manual.

Piece of advice, when removing the wiper arm using a small puller, make sure the hood is in the extended vertical position so you have ample room to raise the wiper arm. With the wiper arm raised, the fastening point is aligned perpendicular to the spindle shaft (no side load from the wiper arm pressing down against the windshield). That way when you apply pressure with the puller, the wiper arm will lift straight up and comes off really easy. Reverse this when re-installing the wiper arm. After making sure the wiper arm will rest in the location you want, and installing the nut just enough to keep the wiper arm from coming off the spindle, slowly raise the wiper while holding the mounting point to prevent it from moving. Tighten up the nut and torque to spec. That way when applying the required torque, the wiper arm will be perpendicular to the spindle shaft, avoiding any side load as you tighten down. Lower the wiper arm first & then lower the hood (imperative to do this in this sequence!- don't ask how I know!! ). Check the wipers for proper operation. I always recommend lowering the hood before checking wiper operation & place something over the hood's back edge on the DS (I use a small drying towel to provide protection not only along the edge but also covers the rear section of the hood on the DS). If the wiper arm isn't secured properly, it gets "real ugly" quick when the wiper arm tries to come off the spindle!

Final check - With the hood lowered & secured, raise the DS wiper arm and make sure there is clearance in the raised position between the wiper arm & the hood.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 05-12-2018 at 06:47 PM.