Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

UPDATE! These are now available and the price is $219.99. We need 10 people for the next go around.

************************************************** ************************************

The solution that everyone has been looking for will soon be available. You'll be able to control your iPod from your factory Nav radio. You will be able to control the iPod just like the radio was designed to use it. Forward and reverse, next and previous track, random and repeat, it all works perfectly! You'll be able to control up to 5 playlists by turning the right ****. The Radio thinks you are changing CDs but the iPod thinks you're telling it to load the next playlist. This lets you controll 495 songs directly from the factory Nav radio. In addition to this, you can select the 6th CD and it hands off complete control to the iPod so you can access the rest of your music library. This will be completely plug and play. Just pull out the radio, plug in the adapter, hide all the wires, put the radio back in and start enjoying your iPod with your factory Nav radio. You may be wondering why I'm placing emphasis on the factory Nav radio part and that is because the factory Base and Infinity radios do not support CD-changers and therefore I have no way to interface this adapter with them. Believe me, I tried to make it work with all of them. I should have the first units available before Christmas. As for a price, I'm going to try to hit a $200-$225 pricepoint. I know a lot of people are interested in these but pricing will depend on how many actually commit to one.

For your viewing pleasure.

Note: Song was chosen on purpose. Thought it was rather fitting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0161.jpg (26.5 KB, 696 views)
IMG_0162.jpg (75.3 KB, 779 views)
IMG_0163.jpg (155.6 KB, 689 views)
IMG_2517.jpg (304.7 KB, 880 views)
IMG_2521.jpg (87.5 KB, 4170 views)

Last edited by rcompart; 03-06-2010 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gdurquhart@hotmail.com (01-24-2021)
Old 11-14-2009, 01:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Wow, looks awesome.

Wish I could say i'd order one.. but well, my in-dash provides a little more functionality

Old 11-14-2009, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by nox1s
Wow, looks awesome.

Wish I could say i'd order one.. but well, my in-dash provides a little more functionality
And that is fine. I personally haven't found a radio that I felt was a good enough match to our lovely silver dash so I went about things backwards. LOL Being totally honest, the best stereo bang for your buck mod and this just totally transformed my factory Nav radio from something I despised because it looked so good but didn't do what I wanted it to do. Now it does and it looks like it belongs in there...because it does.

BTW, not downplaying your radio by any means, just stating my reason for this module.

The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (04-23-2022)
Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by rcompart
And that is fine. I personally haven't found a radio that I felt was a good enough match to our lovely silver dash so I went about things backwards. LOL Being totally honest, the best stereo bang for your buck mod and this just totally transformed my factory Nav radio from something I despised because it looked so good but didn't do what I wanted it to do. Now it does and it looks like it belongs in there...because it does.

BTW, not downplaying your radio by any means, just stating my reason for this module.
To be honest, I completely agree.

Although, my Garmin nav with my kenwood unit kicks the crap out of the old outdated nav..something i rely on frequently (although the iphone does have gps now..!)

If I didn't drop so much $$$ on my setup (bluetooth, XM, ipod, nav) i'd buy a nav radio and this in a heartbeat because well, nothing beats factory. It's a shame it took so long for this to become available, but i'm glad it did.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:00 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great job Rudy. You just made my phatbox obsolete. Maybe I'll move it to the Beetle, and get this one for my XF.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Thumbs up Re: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!

Nicely done!! We should start a list of all people interested in buying one. What connectors are there? The standard white iPhone one? On the pic it says it disables the iPhone (puts it in airplanemode) that is amajor drawback or not?any warranty on the product? How many ppl you need in order to drop towards amore linient price?

Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by FUBU
Nicely done!! We should start a list of all people interested in buying one. What connectors are there? The standard white iPhone one? On the pic it says it disables the iPhone (puts it in airplanemode) that is amajor drawback or not?any warranty on the product? How many ppl you need in order to drop towards amore linient price?
It works just fine with the iPhone. You don't have to put it in airplane mode, it's just asking if you want to since it's not a signed by Apple accessory. I only posted that so people see it's not just a stereo input. As for connections, plug one end into your radio and the other end into the iPod. The dock connector is actually black instead of white but pretty much the same as any other one out there. Yes, it will have a warranty. As for numbers, I'd like at least 20 people for sure. Won't have an idea on price until I'm finished with everything so I should have that figured out in a week or two but it will be in that $200-$225 range.

Thanks

Last edited by rcompart; 11-14-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

This explains why you could answer my questions about the CD changer's interface so quickly the other day.

I suspected you were onto something, and I see I was right.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice, and "oh crap" at the same time. I'd hoped and hoped something like this would come along but many months ago I broke down and installed an aftermarket HU to handle my iPod. Oh well. Nice job though!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Rudy, whats with the black emergency flasher switch? Is that he one outa Deb's car? BTW, like the ipod adapter......now if I only had an ipod.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

all this while shooting deer....you are talented...now, go dress bambi....

Old 11-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Deer hunting was last week Doc. So yeah, this has been something I've been working on since I got this car. I can't take all the credit since I've been working with a couple people on this. As for how I've figured out what I've figured out, it was many many hours of hunting for things online, reading manuals, looking in books and good old fashioned tear into and see if you can break it, then figure out why it broke and then figure out how to fix it. LOL

BTW, if you guys look closely, you'll notice that your ages are logarithmic in that it goes 49, 50, 52, 56. LOL +1, +2(1+1), +4(2+2). Sorry I broke the chain. Yeah, That's the kind of stuff I see. Sorry to go off on a tangent like that.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would consider selling my silver Alpine for this.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

BTW, if you guys look closely, you'll notice that your ages are logarithmic in that it goes 49, 50, 52, 56. LOL +1, +2(1+1), +4(2+2). Sorry I broke the chain. Yeah, That's the kind of stuff I see. Sorry to go off on a tangent like that.
And if YOU look closely, you will see I'm the young one in the bunch.

Speaking of a "mind of math"... do you ever play chess?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this work with the standard Infinity unit in the Crossfire ie non GPS Navigation model?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
And if YOU look closely, you will see I'm the young one in the bunch.

Speaking of a "mind of math"... do you ever play chess?
I'm always up for a friendly match.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bodog
Will this work with the standard Infinity unit in the Crossfire ie non GPS Navigation model?
Sorry but it does not.
You may be wondering why I'm placing emphasis on the factory Nav radio part and that is because the factory Base and Infinity radios do not support CD-changers and therefore I have no way to interface this adapter with them.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Hey Rudy, whats with the black emergency flasher switch? Is that he one outa Deb's car? BTW, like the ipod adapter......now if I only had an ipod.
Yes it is. I haven't swapped it out from when I was at the Dragon. Kinda low on the priority list.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 AM

$200 sound like a hefty sum. What exactly will be included in the package? Season tickets ?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBU
$200 sound like a hefty sum. What exactly will be included in the package? Season tickets ?
I don't think it's bad, If you buy the Link for the I-pod for any other car, it's $300+

Quick Reply: iPod Control with Factory Nav Radio is Here!