Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Has anyone heard anything about a recall of the Crossfire?

Old 07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone heard anything about a recall of the Crossfire?

I saw this question came up under a different thread "New to forum" by fogrun5234 and at once I realized it needed it's own thread...

So I outlined what i could find concerning how a recall is started and why one would be started on a line of automobile... here it is:

A variety of engineering errors can cause a defect in a car. Usually, the problem is concentrated on models that were produced during a certain time period at one specific plant. Consumers who encounter such problems can report them to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) by calling their safety hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT. Complaints can also be waged online at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (the NHTSA's website) or by filing a petition. When enough reports are compiled, the NHTSA will begin to investigate the issue, and determine the root of the problem. Then, the findings are made public. If a manufacturer does not force a recall, the government, through the NHTSA, will initiate one instead.

The NHTSA lists the following as typical safety-threatening defects:

Wiring or leaks that cause fire.
Accelerators that break or freeze suddenly .
Steering parts that break, causing a loss of control.
Air bags that deploy late or for no reason. Any widespread vehicular problem that results in a risk for those in the car will be closely scrutinized by the NHTSA. Therefore, the safety hotline will not help you out if your air conditioner doesn't work or there's routine wear and tear on your car.

I do not think the Crossfire will come under a recall due to small window glass... hooah

Last edited by FirebaseD; 07-31-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone heard anything about a recall of the Crossfire?

The crossfire did have a recall. They replaced the radiator cooling fan. Pending on when you bought your vehicle this may have already been done. What would happen is the fan would stop working causing the car to possibly (probably) overheat. This was issued sometime earlier this year if not late last year.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The E19 customer satisfaction update was NOT a recall.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Forum Regular

I don't think it was considered a recall, but there was something about getting the radiator hose checked. It had something to do about rubbing on the fan shroud or something.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Forum Regular

I'm sorry folks. I was not clear on the subject line... the question was concerning a recall due to the Crossfire not being safe to drive, something about poor visibility to the rear of the car...

This is the question I read that was posted by fogrun5234 under the thread "New To The Forum":

"Just a quick question to all.
I was talking to the dealership where I purchased my Crossfire and they told me that a recall was being considered. I asked why and I was told that the bad publicity from such magazines as consumer reports on the problem of "blind spots" had already caused the discontinuance of production of the vehicle and that there was litigation pending concerning the "blind spots" issue. I sent an e-mail to Chrysler asking for all the public information concerning litigation against them concerning the Crossfire and "blind spots" and asked about the recall issue. As expected I was told in my answering e-mail that they would get back to me."

So that is the question... hooah?

Last edited by FirebaseD; 07-31-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Forum Regular

I don't have any problems with blind spots. Come to think of it the blind spots have not gotten any worse than when I decided on my own to buy the car.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Re: Has anyone heard anything about a recall of the Crossfire?

consumer reports published data for how far directly behind various vehicles the top of a 28" cone would be visible. this might simulate a small child standing behind the car. for a 5'8" driver, the top of the cone isn't visible until it is moved 18 feet behind the crossfire. while not quite as "good" as the 2 foot measurement for the porsche boxster, the crossfire data isn't as "bad" as the 34' for the Ford F150. in fact, all the full size pickups have larger blind spots to the rear than the crossfire. so do many suvs and a few cars as well. so based on blind spots directly to the rear it is highly unlikely there would be any recalls.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ents/index.htm

as far as blindspots caused by the wide 'C' pillars that support the roof, they shouldn't be a problem to an experienced driver. the crossfire mirrors, if adjusted properly, eliminate these so-called blind spots while the car is moving forward. however, there will be some blind spots while backing which require extra care to avoid hitting children or even telephone poles since height isn't an issue because you can't se through the pillars.

i would be amazed if there was any recall. how would they fix the issue? cut our roofs off or maybe give a voucher to exchange for an amc pacer?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FirebaseD, This thing smacks of "urban legend" to me. It sounds like something invented by someone with an axe to grind.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:27 AM

Yes there was a recall. It was for the water hose at the top of the radiator. It was too close to the fan shroud, only a little twist did the job.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:04 PM

What would they recall? The whole design?

Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that pressing harder on the gas pedal when in D (Drive) increases the FOV (field of view) out of the rear window.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Idaho
I have found that pressing harder on the gas pedal when in D (Drive) increases the FOV (field of view) out of the rear window.
Wow, what do you have in that thing? It sounds like you are hitting warp speed?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 AM

Ok... I really gotta say something about the whole "let's sue" b.s.

Only in the U.S. can anyone, with or without, a valid reason, sue a company... If you really think the field of view is that sh*tty, then why did you buy the car in the first place? Did the window shrink after the first few washes?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but come on... Welcome to the real world... It's like spilling hot coffee on yourself, then suing starbucks...

If you really have too much money, donate it to a cause...
If you're just greedy and want to take someone for a ride, Karma will get you in the end...until then, get a job...

My 2 cents.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
that there was litigation pending concerning the "blind spots" issue.
What a load of crap. A judge or jury would have to be a TOTAL MORON to make any sort of award to someone who bought a Crossfire and THEN claimed they can't see out the back. Sheesh.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 AM

Peter, Hot Coffee, McDonalds, remember. I do agree with you though!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of coffee my cup holder sucks, can I have the name of a good lawyer and how bout a class action?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM

There should be a recall because Chrysler can not or will not provide the service promised by the warranty. The rear vision problem is not worthy of recall because it's not worse than several other cars and you knew about it when you bought the car.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John Webster
There should be a recall because Chrysler can not or will not provide the service promised by the warranty.
What does poor service have to do with the cars performance? If you find the right dealer with the right mechanic, then poor service is a moot point. Trust me, I know. But just because I got bad service from one location did not make me wish for a recall - for what? I found someone that could work on my car and its all been just fine. Sure some of us have had issues with this car (some more then others), but who hasn't had issues with other cars in the past??

My only comment? Whatever...

And that, people, is my two cents...

Old 10-14-2006, 04:12 AM

I've been to all six local dealers.

My impression is that the dealers aren't able to service the car as required by the warranty and don't feel the need to do so because Chrysler doesn't.

And Daimler doesn't give a damn because bad publicity for Chrysler doesn't reflect on them.