Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Enhancing the exhaust note

Old 09-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enhancing the exhaust note

I love the sound of my Crossfire. I have been telling my wife that the car needs a catback Borla exhaust system to make it sound better and, of course, add a few HP. I had a Borla exhaust on an older VR6 Jetta some years back and enjoyed the sound.

I noticed in a post by crossfirefun (Phil?) that the signature said "Borla exhaust - (removed didn't like sound)."

I would hate to spend $700 and use-up a spousal spending favor just to install it and not like the sound...

Any comments from other forum members about enhancing the sound quality of your Crossfire - especially those that you DIDN'T like?

Old 09-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Default Re: Enhancing the exhaust note

Dude I just got the Borla back in July. I LOVE it!! It's not an overwhelming sound, but it is noticeable. I would say it sounds more European. Yes, the price is a bit expensive ($635), but well worth it for me. Plus it looks great (see pics).

Old 09-27-2006, 05:56 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Does it add horsepower?

Old 09-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
Does it add horsepower?
nope, just for sound.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular

Steenport567,

Any way to add the Borla without changing the exhaust tips? I prefer the stock ones.

Kevin

Old 09-27-2006, 08:00 PM

Everybody has different opinions so here's mine...

Borla exhaust sounds great if you drive a bit aggressive. This way you don't hear the drone as long. When you get above 4k rpm's then, from the interior, the exhaust sounds like OEM.

If you drive a bit more casual then the Borla has a very loud drone from 2.5k to 3.5k ish. Hard to ignore as it fills the whole cabin. This is a problem for daily drivers in the city where you hardly go above 3.5k rpms (traffic). I know I paid below $500 after shipping for mine, the link is on this site somewhere. I want to say it is closer to $400.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by kjmurphy
Steenport567,

Any way to add the Borla without changing the exhaust tips? I prefer the stock ones.

Kevin
Uhhh, I am sure you could get the system and then cut off the ends (then sell the ends on ebay or something). Then add the stock tips to it. But, I don't know for sure man.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the replies! Is Borla the only one out there with a bolt-on solution? If it doesn't add horsepower, could sound be enhanced by replacing only the back muffler?

Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 AM

what i did was went to a local muffler shop and me and the muffler man (haha don't know what else to call him). but anyway i order from him a magnaflow with one inlet and two outlets and he cut the factory tips off my stock muffler and welded them to the magnaflow. sounds really good, not real loud but noticeable and looks completely stock which is what i was going for. and it only cost me the price of the muffler because he said it was the only crossfire he has ever had in his shop, so he did the labor for free.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You could check this link ... http://www.slk32.com/pages/resremoval/resremoval.html

It was posted in another thread. Basically we have an SLK, so perhaps some of the mods for it would work for us.
I'm debating this one myself.

adoni

Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 AM

Has anyone noticed a difference in sound between the 2004 and '05 when we were shopping we drove both The white '05 and our aero blue '04. We noticed a big difference but these were the only two we checked the white '05 limited was a better deal but My wife liked the sound and color of the '04 so she won! Maybe this '04 has a mode on it that I am unaware of but it looks stock.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by former NXMX5
nope, just for sound.
I find it hard to believe Borla would sell a product that adds zero horsepower.

Unless that was sarcasm...

Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 PM

I agree. On the borla sight they say it does increase HP a certain percentage. Now, I don't think anyone here knows EXACTLY for sure. So, I would guess it would. I'm not saying that just because I have one. Maybe someone can find out. Or, maybe I will just call them and ask.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Steenport567
I agree. On the borla sight they say it does increase HP a certain percentage. Now, I don't think anyone here knows EXACTLY for sure. So, I would guess it would. I'm not saying that just because I have one. Maybe someone can find out. Or, maybe I will just call them and ask.
Since it is impossible to get a good dyno read on this car even Borla won't be able to help you with +/- HP numbers.

Honestly, with a catback you can except a small increase in HP, but not a huge amount. Chances are it won't even be noticeable. I'm just going to get one for the sound.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:50 PM

I added a Borla system part number 140083 to my 2005 crossfire. I am a little disappointed. I didn't want it to be annoyingly loud but I did hope for more than I got. I am considering taking out the 1st muffler, that being the one nearest the cats, and installing a straight pipe. This in an effort to get a little more noise and attention. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Old 10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_rtd
... Anyone have any thoughts on that?
RTD ... check my post above, #10. The website shows how to remove the 'resonator' and replace it with straight pipe. This way you don't remove the cat or the muffler. Sounds simple.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by adoni
RTD ... check my post above, #10. The website shows how to remove the 'resonator' and replace it with straight pipe. This way you don't remove the cat or the muffler. Sounds simple.
That link you posted is for the SLK32, as in AMG32, not the SLK320.
So unless you have the SRT-6, you don't have the same system as the one in the link.
Do the regular Crossfires even have a stock resonator before the muffler?
I don't think they do.
I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures here on the forums of the underside of a regular Crossfire and it didn't have a resonator from the factory.

The Borla system adds a resonator to the regular Crossfire though, in the same spot the stock SRT-6 has one.

If Borla would make a system for the SRT-6, I'd buy one!
The only option SRT-6's have are to go custom, like removing the resonator, which I may do soon.

Last edited by Eracer76; 10-06-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 PM

No the regular Crossfires do not have a resonator before the muffler. I am not sure why Borla puts one in their system for this car. As stated in some of the previous postings this system sounds okay at lower RPM's but when you get on it the exhaust sounds OEM. So again I think removing the resonator and installing a straight pipe to the muffler would be an improvement if a person is looking for a little more noise. I am gonna give it a go but probably not till next spring. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of months ago I drove behind a Crossfire with the Borla exhaust. I spotted the exhaust from over 300 ft away just because it looks so different. I was able to even play some cat and mouse with the Borla person. Basically, it sounds a little richer, every so SLIGHTLY louder at the lower rpm's, but at higher rpms, it makes basically the same sound. The owner is a Chrysler mechanic, and he thinks he lost power AND torque. I absolutely think this exhaust is not worth any money. Furthermore, when side by side at full throttle, I could NOT hear him at all in my car, with all my windows down and about one yard away from the car! Lastly, a mechanic who works with Mercedes tells me that this engine is very picky when it comes to getting an exhaust. The naturally aspirated nature depends heavily on back pressure to maintain the torque band of the engine. Many of my friends tells me the Crossfire sounds great stock, especially at midrange. I love the sound too! The only time that I will think of an exhaust is when the engine gets boosted. Just my 2-cents.