Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rim Offset Question

Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rim Offset Question

I ordered rims custom sized for stock sizes for the crossfire.. but the offsets received are 29mm and 37mm in the rear.. would this cause a problem?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rim Offset Question

I believe that is the correct stock offset for the Crossfire. As long as your new wheels clear the brake calipers you're O.K.
What wheels are you getting?

Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock Wheel Data:

FRONT:
18x7.5"
5x112
ET 35 (offset)
225/40/18

REAR:
19x9"
5x112
ET 22 (offset)
255/35/19

37mm in the rear seems like its in there quite a ways. I would maybe want to consider a spacer back there. 29mm in the front pushes them out there quite a ways. If those offets were reversed, you would be sitting pretty good with 37 in front and 29 in the rear.

Last edited by AtomHeart; 12-19-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 PM

are u sure i thought that the stock offset was 35 both front and rear.. I don't really understand how that offset stuff works... what I want to know is that should I contact the manufacturer or should I do something else...?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidez
are u sure i thought that the stock offset was 35 both front and rear.. I don't really understand how that offset stuff works... what I want to know is that should I contact the manufacturer or should I do something else...?
Not a big problem but trying to find aftermarket wheels with the same offset as stock which is 35mm front and 22mm rear will drive you insane. The closest I came was OEM type MB wheels with 32mm offset front and rear. I used a 12mm spacer in the rear and everything turned out perfect.

I think you will want 15mm spacers in the rear at the very least, which will position the wheel in the stock location. Your new front will be pushed outward about 6mm from stock. I don't know if it will work but a 20mm spacer in the rear would get the wheels all looking right. One issue you may want to check is see if your front wheel will mount with the center cap installed. Some aftermarket wheels have trouble clearing front bearing cap on the hub. To get around this some guys have installed spacers on the front. but at 29mm offsett you are already pushing the wheels out 6mm. Spacer aren't a problem as long as you get hub centric spacers and the right length wheel studs. Hope this helps

Last edited by LantanaTX; 01-03-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Not a big problem but trying to find aftermarket wheels with the same offset as stock which is 35mm front and 22mm rear will drive you insane. The closest I came was OEM type MB wheels with 32mm offset front and rear. I used a 12mm spacer in the rear and everything turned out perfect.

I think you will want 15mm spacers in the rear at the very least, which will position the wheel in the stock location. Your new front will be pushed outward about 6mm from stock. I don't know if it will work but a 20mm spacer in the rear would get the wheels all looking right. One issue you may want to check is see if your front wheel will mount with the center cap installed. Some aftermarket wheels have trouble clearing front bearing cap on the hub. To get around this some guys have installed spacers on the front. but at 29mm offsett you are already pushing the wheels out 6mm. Spacer aren't a problem as long as you get hub centric spacers and the right length wheel studs. Hope this helps
hm... are there any negative effects to using spacers?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 AM

There is no negative effect as long as you are using hub-centric spacers with the correct length wheel studs. Just don't even think about using universal ones from Pep Boys.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 AM

There is no negative effect as long as you are using hub-centric spacers with the correct length wheel studs. Just don't even think about using universal ones from Pep Boys.
thanks for your input I appreciate it is still a few months away till I mount those bad boys and Ill have some pictures up by then too heh

Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Forum Regular

[quote=Sidez]I ordered rims custom sized for stock sizes for the crossfire.. but the offsets received are 29mm and 37mm in the rear.. would this cause a problem?[/quote

I run 35mm offset after market wheels on front and rear with stock OEM size tires and there are no problems. I don't use spacers and there is no rubbing or other problems.

If the stock front has a 22 mm offset and my 35mm offset wheels work, then a 29mm offset should work without a spacer.

I don't know how much impact the 2mm more offset than I have on my rear wheels would affect the wheel/tire fitment.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 AM

[quote=woodlands1]
Originally Posted by Sidez
I ordered rims custom sized for stock sizes for the crossfire.. but the offsets received are 29mm and 37mm in the rear.. would this cause a problem?[/quote

I run 35mm offset after market wheels on front and rear with stock OEM size tires and there are no problems. I don't use spacers and there is no rubbing or other problems.

If the stock front has a 22 mm offset and my 35mm offset wheels work, then a 29mm offset should work without a spacer.

I don't know how much impact the 2mm more offset than I have on my rear wheels would affect the wheel/tire fitment.
you have it backwords. stock rear is 22mm and front is 35. The spacers in the rear may not be needed but it does look better when the wheels are postioned in the stock location closer to the fender lips. In my case I went with a 265 wide tire on the 9 inch wheel and had a rubbing issue besides the fact the wheels loooked pushed in too far.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Forum Regular

[quote=LantanaTX]
Originally Posted by woodlands1

you have it backwords. stock rear is 22mm and front is 35. The spacers in the rear may not be needed but it does look better when the wheels are postioned in the stock location closer to the fender lips. In my case I went with a 265 wide tire on the 9 inch wheel and had a rubbing issue besides the fact the wheels loooked pushed in too far.
I didn't check into the OEM wheel offset, I just told the dealer I ordered the wheels from what I had and what I wanted and they sold me the Mandrus Wheels they said would work. It happens that both front and rear wheels have the 35mm offset. The Mandrus wheels come in several offsets (all for MB cars), so the dealer had options on what to sell me.

The dealer had previously supplied wheels for XFires. The guy I dealt with knew exactly what was needed as soon as I asked him about the wheels (including the correct bolts/lugs) without any references or hesitation. He was confident, so I felt pretty good.

When I took the new wheels and tires to a local Discount Tire to have them mounted, the tech said they wouldn't work because of clearance problems. He didn't want to mount the wheels/tires because he said they would rub, etc. I told him to put them on and I would take responsibility if they didn't fit properly. He put them on....I drove the car out of the shop and everything has been fine since. And, Discount Tire sells the same Mandrus Wheels, so I'm not sure what offset wheel they would have tried to sell me if I had bought from them.

Sometimes the people who sell a product actually know what they are talking about. It was pretty refreshing for a change.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 AM

From this thread I have understood that a 20mm hub centric spacer for the rear would allign the wheels perfectly... my next question is does it have to be specific for the crossfire? I was offered hub centric wheel spacers today and the instalation the guy told me that both spacers for the rear would run 150$ and brought me a box with 20mm spacers that said mercedes on it? what do you think?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM

If you check e-Bay, they usually have spacers/adapters of many different sizes for sale. This might give you a clue as to price etc.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:18 PM

[quote=woodlands1]

I didn't check into the OEM wheel offset, I just told the dealer I ordered the wheels from what I had and what I wanted and they sold me the Mandrus Wheels they said would work. It happens that both front and rear wheels have the 35mm offset. The Mandrus wheels come in several offsets (all for MB cars), so the dealer had options on what to sell me.

The dealer had previously supplied wheels for XFires. The guy I dealt with knew exactly what was needed as soon as I asked him about the wheels (including the correct bolts/lugs) without any references or hesitation. He was confident, so I felt pretty good.

When I took the new wheels and tires to a local Discount Tire to have them mounted, the tech said they wouldn't work because of clearance problems. He didn't want to mount the wheels/tires because he said they would rub, etc. I told him to put them on and I would take responsibility if they didn't fit properly. He put them on....I drove the car out of the shop and everything has been fine since. And, Discount Tire sells the same Mandrus Wheels, so I'm not sure what offset wheel they would have tried to sell me if I had bought from them.

Sometimes the people who sell a product actually know what they are talking about. It was pretty refreshing for a change.
I'm looking to get the Mandrus wheels as well but in black. So to clarify you got 35mm offset both front and rear?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Forum Regular

[quote=doublediz]

I'm looking to get the Mandrus wheels as well but in black. So to clarify you got 35mm offset both front and rear?
That is correct. 35mm offset front and rear and running the OEM size tires front and rear. No problems.

The silver Mandrus Millenium wheels in a 35mm offset were on national backorder. I have no idea if that has changed or not, or if there are backorder problem with the black wheels.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM

You know this is all worthless without PICTURES. Lets see'um.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 PM

[quote=woodlands1]
Originally Posted by doublediz

That is correct. 35mm offset front and rear and running the OEM size tires front and rear. No problems.

The silver Mandrus Millenium wheels in a 35mm offset were on national backorder. I have no idea if that has changed or not, or if there are backorder problem with the black wheels.
Yeah the black ones are pretty hard to find but I did find some on Ebay of course. I don't plan on getting them till the summer so will have to see how they do in price then.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by strupgolf
Here is a link to eBay auction with a Mandrus Millenium silver wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-9-...2em118Q2el1247

Last edited by woodlands1; 01-09-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by strupgolf
A link to my car with Mandrus Millenium wheels -

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...1/ppuser/16590

Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 PM

[quote=doublediz]

My wheels were actually 32MM which is just about the same as 35mm I you want to maintain the stock track width in the rear you will want spacers which isn't a problem at all. Since my car is lowered and I went with 265 wide instead of the stock 255, I had rubbing and needed the spacers.

Quick Reply: Rim Offset Question