Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rain Leak / Passenger Side

Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Rain Leak / Passenger Side

Originally Posted by rekcah
I had this problem awhile back. It comes from the air inlet. Look at pictures. It looks like there should be some kind of cover but there wasn't one. So I made one and it solved my water leak problem. And yes that's black duct tape. Duct tape fixes all.
So how does the heater and A/C work these days?
You are missing a cover that goes from one side of the windshield to the other, I'd get one and fit it ASAP.
What about windshield washers?

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-21-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what cover? do you have a photo?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM

what cover? do you have a photo?
The cover shown goes from one side of the windshield to the other and the upper portion of it diverts water to the sides and the drains.

You should be able to find out the parts you are missing from the following diagram.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-21-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Forum Regular

I know what you're thinking now. I have the cowl thing and windshield wipers. These pictures are from September 2008 when I had everything apart, that's why it looks like that cover and wipers are missing.

Sorry for confusion.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM

I know what you're thinking now. I have the cowl thing and windshield wipers. These pictures are from September 2008 when I had everything apart, that's why it looks like that cover and wipers are missing. Sorry for confusion.
I could see the wipers were missing, I thought those were parked out of the way. I'm glad you have the parts, but how does the heater and a/c work?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Forum Regular

I dont know if you can recall my post back in 2008 but here is link
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...did-about.html

The heater and AC are both working great. I still have the condensation problem in the cold months, but not in the warm months. All I have to do in the cold months is make sure to press the REST button after car is parked and there wont be any condensation. I could probably redesign the plexi-glass cover to allow more air flow, but I'm too lazy. So long as there isn't a swimming pool in the foot well, I'm happy.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now here's an interesting twist. My PAssenger side is perfectly fine. No issues what-so-ever, absolutely dry. The driver's side on the other hand is a different story. Under my seat is almost always soaked. It seems to be a little damp in front of the seat where my feet are but nothing compared to directly underneath or behind (whatever behind the seat on these cars means I'm not sure lol.) Is this the same problem or what is going on here?!? Where should I start?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

No, not the same problem at all. I'd check to see if your window is going up all the way.

Other than that, pull trim and carpeting from the pedal area and see if the water is coming in from up by the windsheild and traveling under the carpet to the seat.

In fact, it almost has to be from under the dash or around the windsheild.... if it was your driver's side window leaking, I think you'd see evidence of that.

Time to start investigating... then come back and tell us what you find! Taking the trim from above the pedals (in a roadster, anyway) is easy... then take the cover off the side wall ahead of the door and pull the carpet back and see what you find.

I bet its WET under there and the water is coming from around the windsheild.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 PM

I guess I'll just have to go into Sherlock mode and do some sluething. I'll post my findings when I conclude my search.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

That's what I did when my Roadster's trunk locked itself and it would NOT unlock! (Forgot I had an extended warranty to cover such things.)

Old 08-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Walters5507
Now here's an interesting twist. My PAssenger side is perfectly fine. No issues what-so-ever, absolutely dry. The driver's side on the other hand is a different story. Under my seat is almost always soaked. It seems to be a little damp in front of the seat where my feet are but nothing compared to directly underneath or behind (whatever behind the seat on these cars means I'm not sure lol.) Is this the same problem or what is going on here?!? Where should I start?
You start by finding where the water is coming in. Sit in the car and have someone spray the car with a hose.
In the bottom corner where the rear glass meets the door glass looks a likely area.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:08 AM

I know there is a drain on that side, if that drain i plugged up that could be the reason you are getting water on the inside. Do you know to replace cabin filter? Open the passenger side door and peer into the area between the fender and inner wheel well area. You might notice some screws that had a sealant applied from the factory. Try to recoat those screws with some type of sealant.

Last edited by firemen; 08-27-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Just purchased my 05 crossfire coupe and this is happening, i am over joyed that their was a thread about this once i get out of work i will most def inspect. I did open up the Air filter it was wet but not as bad as the motor like previous poster, but i will clean up any gunk in there.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Well removed the cowl and yep a lot of gunk will be investing in a car cover i have a lot of trees in the area and dot want this happening again.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Well it rained pretty bad today and yep water still coming in the water is definitely coming from ac motor, once i opened up bam water was just pouring out. will call the dealership to see what the issue can be since i have other things to work on like the windshield wipe fluid reservoir and i need a new filter since this one is soaked

Will give a update with any findings

Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM

When you remove the cowl and see that there are leaves a such over the drain on the passenger side you should be aware that some small leaves may have passed through the drain hole and may be found behind the windshield washer tank.
When I removed my windshield washer tank to repair it I was amazed at the amount of debris and leaves sitting
between it and the frame. I washed it all down and sprayed some stuff similar to WaxOyl in that area.
Water passes through this are easily but leaves and such cannot and will filter more and more leaves and dirt as it accumulates.

I can only see one drain on the passenger side, some threads on this thread says there are two.
There are drains on each end of the cowl that have rubber fingers on them and this has direct access to the area behind the fenders, maybe this is what they mean. Leaves and such can get easier access to the WW bottle area through these gaps. I check the area of the rubber fingers frequently for leaves.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM

I know this is a old thread but I have noticed a small amount of water on the passenger side floor recently. I am going to try checking a few of the things mentioned on here tomorrow when its light. I was wondering could this have anything to do with my AC not working and blowing hot air when I put it on cold? Onehundred80 - is this why you asked a member about whether there AC was working, just sure if its related but was curious after I saw you ask this? Cheers

Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM

For what it's worth on my 06 limited coupe when doing a fine cut polish on the clear coat, I noticed that the rubber seal for the rear passenger quarter window was not positioned correctly. The body radius is quite pronounced where the seal interfaces , and my seal was laying on top of this radius, it looked supisious so I looked at the driver side. This seal was neatly rolled toward the downward side of the body window radius , thus keeping the seal tight and any water that contacts the seal has to stay on the outside and not work its way under the seal. It was easy to fix, using my thum finger nail starting from one end I gently pushed the seal down and in.
Hope this helps someone
Cheers
Mongoose57

Old 06-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Well just got her back and it was 2 issues seems i had a bad seal and i had some gunk in the other drains it seems, thought i cleaned it well enough but guess not, good thing it has been resolved and they fixed my washer fluid issue wasn't the reservoir but the hose to the motor ....all in all i am happy and will def invest in a car cover (even though i have a car port but me and ms takes turns parking our vehicles in it ....

FYI cost me 150 for leak repair and another 120 for the windshield wiper repair BLEH

Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 PM

I just troubleshot this issue on my '06 Coupe that I bought last fall. My blower stopped working so I removed it to see what the problem was. When I removed the bottom toe plate behind the glove compartment door, I discovered that the last owner placed some paper towels on top of the padding to soak up any water and stuffed a lot of deodorizers in the net pocket to get rid of any odor from moisture sitting there. I had left the car out in a couple of rainstorms and the towels and padding were soaked as well as some of the carpeting. The blower motor was wet too. I cleaned it up and lubricated it and dried everything out. Now it works just fine, but on to the next problem: where did the water come from?

I had to fix my windshield washer system too, so I removed the channel cover. Here is what I think is happening here: With a heavy rain, water floods around the cover windshield molding and drips directly into the air intake port, through the blower motor and onto the floor.

There is a metal mounting tab located over the port just under the cover where there should be some kind of baffle to divert water away from this area, but it does not exist. Either this part was omitted on the assembly altogether or was skipped on a production run due to supply issues or a lne supervisor drank too much Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier over lunch. I fashioned a baffle out of a stiff mylar bubble envelope I had and secured it to the empty hole with spare xmas-tree plug.

Sorry no pics because I'm sick of messing with this cover after spending two evenings trying to figure out why my washer fluid is flaccid. After fixing a cracked hose fitting and I still have poor spray.

My suggestion is to make a baffle out of something stiff and water proof that will act as an umbrella over the air intake port and fasten it to the existing metal tab. Keep the drain channel and drain tube free of debris so you don't get water backing up and overflowing into the port. If you cover the port with tape or plastic its a lot like having the internal air circulation button on all the time. There is an actuated door that blocks the intake port when you press that button. When you turn the car off, it retracts to the open position.

I can't guarantee this will fix the problem but it makes a lot of sense to me after looking at the situation......and I am an engineer. I keep my car garaged so I will have to wait for when I have to put my outboard back on the boat so that the crossfire has to stay out in the next big rainstorm.

Quick Reply: Rain Leak / Passenger Side