Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New XF owner

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XF owner

Hey all, I've been on the board for a little while and getting a feel for the XF community. I'm a VW guy (mostly sciroccos) but I've had pretty much everything. I recently decided I wanted a sports car and I had narrowed my search to the XF and the Z4. From there it came down to value for dollar and nicest example. I ended up with an '05 Limited in Sapphire Blue Metallic, AT, with gray/dk gray seats and 34k on the ODO. I must say I'm super pleased with the car thus far. While the AT and 215hp isn't exactly a rocketship, it makes more than adequate power and looks amazing. (also, little know fact, the VW Scirocco was also built at the Karmann factory, so next to the C230 Coupe, the XF is like a relative). I've just bought a stack of maintenance parts (all German) and I'm likely going to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses (a little squishy for my liking). Unfortunately, it appears as though they are only dealer items and I'm looking at close to $150 for the set. Is there a better deal out there or do I just grin and bear it (along with the 12 spark plugs and 9 quarts of Mobil 1 0W40)?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Default Re: New XF owner

Always check MoPar first for cheap parts. One thing you will realize quickly with this car- sometimes you will eat a lot of money for seemingly basic parts. Welcome to the board and to the ranks of Crossfire owners, if you take care of it, she will be kind to you.

9 quarts of oil is a bit excessive. 8 will do just fine.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to check with a Mercedes dealership. Sometimes the exact same part there is way cheaper. I guess you don't pay the middle man bump for Chrysler having to buy it from them. You should check with Mr.Mopar on this forum as he parts out many XF's that have been wrecked. There are also aftermarket parts & upgrades available from several folks on the forum. Needswings is excellent and I have a new set of brakes on the way from freakingfastsrt6. Look around - you don't have to break the bank to keep these guys in good repair.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome aboard, and congrats on the new ride....

Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard! I went from my nicely modded VW GTI to my Crossfire 4 years ago, and haven't looked back. Belonged to the VW clubs up in Minnesota and have been around some great Sciroccos and Carrados. Just love the heck out of this car I have now. I've always replaced my oil with only 8 qts, and I change it the old fashion way through the drain plug. I'm a die hard AMSOIL guy and use the 5w40 in my baby. Of course the Mobil 1 0w-40 is a proven good quality oil and you can't go wrong with that either. So enjoy the forum and especially your new ride! Neal

Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome congrats and good luck..

Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 PM

Hey all, thanks for the warm welcome. I just washed the car for the 1st time yesterday and gave it a decent waxing today. I'm in Portland, OR so dry days are something of a commodity over here. So far I still love the car. MIMI05SRT6: My daily up until the purchase of the XF was a (mk4) 99.5 Jetta GLS VR6 with a stick. I just changed the oil and you all were right about 8 quarts. I bought 9 but I didn't need the last one. I bought the spark plugs as well....then I read about the interval being 75k under "severe driving" and I decided to hold out until 50k. I also dropped in new air filters and cabin filter. Also, I pulled back the seal on the driver's door to look for rust and there's not a spot there. I'll hit the pass side soon just to make sure. BTW, here's a pick of the car while it was on the dealer lot before I drove it home.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
xfk.jpg (103.4 KB, 11 views)