Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

For those of you yearning for bolt-ons

Old 09-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default For those of you yearning for bolt-ons

Someday, I will probably see a Crossfire with big giant chrome wheels, and that will make me want to puke.

This is just my opinion, and I HOPE that the majority if Crossfire owners would agree, WE DO NOT WANT to see aftermarket bolt-ons on our cars. It is refreshing for me to see that you can't "trick-out" the Crossfire. Leave the "tricking-out" to other cars like the Eclipses, Integras, Civics, Supras, TTs, 350zs, etc.....

No big giant chrome wheels, no loud farty sounding mufflers, no crazy stripes, strange stick-on shapes, lettering, or other assorted graphics. No neon lights, ground effect kits, or "slamming it". No "double sided sticky tape" accessories.

All of this new pop-culture sort of stuff applied to car bolt-ons makes my stomach turn.

I hope it never happens to the Crossfire.

No bad feelings intended towards aftermarket bolt-on yearners, but I think most Crossfire owners are of an older and more mature crowd, and the bolts-on you so desire will hopefully never materialize.

I feel that all of that sort of stuff can dilute the value of ownership of a car, especially if it happens to the Crossfire.

I saw a 350z recently with a big giant wing, big giant chrome wheels, and a ground effects package on it. Y-U-C-K. Cheesy and embarrassingly adolescent. Actually not a surprise since the owner looked very young.

Again, I hope it NEVER happens to the Crossfire.

Ok, I'm done!

Old 09-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately it will. We can look the other way and say "Oh well, To each his own". I can't even understand why anyone would want to change the wheels. The stock whells are reminiscent of the Bugatti .One of the first cars to have alloy wheels, and Very hard to improve on. I guess some of these guys would be putting wings and stickers on a Bugatti or an Auburn.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my .02‘ for what it's worth. I agree 100 gazillion %. This is one car I told my wife she didn't have to worry about me running out and buying new wheels etc as I've always done in the past. To me the XF is perfect just the way it is with it's factory chopped roof and all.

However, as the saying goes: "different strokes..." Some of the mods you mentioned have already begun to appeared in this forum i.e. the neon lights, lowering the car, aftermarket wheels etc. While many of us feel this car is already a classic and should be left alone, there are others who want to take the XF in a different directon. One thing in our favor, I don't think you'll ever see many mass produced ground effect kits and other stick ons.

And for those that don't agree, that's okay too... go for it, it's your car and you are the one driving it.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:18 PM

Bolt on's are known as performance part such as cat-backs, headers, etc. I have never heard of anyone calling stickers as bolt ons. :lol: Yes thats what they mean when they say they a mustang with bolt on's IT has stickers. We all want go fast parts those are bolt on's and the crossfire would definetely benefit from such. Just my .02

Old 09-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

do you think my car is ricey? i have made some modifications...but i feel they are very tasteful, subtle and clean...a tad different from other crossfires i pass on the road. it's personalized imo.

Old 09-03-2004, 01:51 PM

Andrew... no, it looks good and yes very subtle. Nothing extreme. I took the original post to mean qwady, well you know.... sorry if you took my post to imply anything personal. For me and some others we're happy with the way the car is straight out of the box.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:14 PM

Hey Andrew, I love the look of your car. Not sure I could handle the lowered ride in these parts, but if it works for you that's cool.

Bolt-on's are one thing, Stick-on's yet another. I'm in the anti-stick-on crowd myself. When I make mods to my Crossfire, I don't WANT it to stand out from the crowd. I yearn for a stealth supercharger and some other non-visual mods. NOTHING would make me happier about my car than to have an SRT-6 pull up next to me with their ugly wing and think they're gonna stomp me, and I dust 'em off the line...

Old 09-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: For those of you yearning for bolt-ons

Originally Posted by pelked1
Someday, I will probably see a Crossfire with big giant chrome wheels, and that will make me want to puke.

This is just my opinion, and I HOPE that the majority if Crossfire owners would agree, WE DO NOT WANT to see aftermarket bolt-ons on our cars. It is refreshing for me to see that you can't "trick-out" the Crossfire. Leave the "tricking-out" to other cars like the Eclipses, Integras, Civics, Supras, TTs, 350zs, etc.....

No big giant chrome wheels, no loud farty sounding mufflers, no crazy stripes, strange stick-on shapes, lettering, or other assorted graphics. No neon lights, ground effect kits, or "slamming it". No "double sided sticky tape" accessories.

All of this new pop-culture sort of stuff applied to car bolt-ons makes my stomach turn.

I hope it never happens to the Crossfire.

No bad feelings intended towards aftermarket bolt-on yearners, but I think most Crossfire owners are of an older and more mature crowd, and the bolts-on you so desire will hopefully never materialize.

I feel that all of that sort of stuff can dilute the value of ownership of a car, especially if it happens to the Crossfire.

I saw a 350z recently with a big giant wing, big giant chrome wheels, and a ground effects package on it. Y-U-C-K. Cheesy and embarrassingly adolescent. Actually not a surprise since the owner looked very young.

Again, I hope it NEVER happens to the Crossfire.

Ok, I'm done!
talk about calling the kettle black...i found this picture in "pelked1" photo album...and it states, "i traded this in for the Xfire". :? (click link below)

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...hp?pic_id=1936

i guess we all have different definitions of...

Old 09-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Banned

You can't screw up crappy rice burners !

But his taste in dog's shucks too.

Nothing personal Pelk,can't stand the little yappers.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:10 PM

Thanks for making that picture insanely huge. Please edit it so it will fit on the page without scrolling.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:37 PM

Andrew,
Thanks for the glamour shot from my photo album. Damn, that is a large picture! I was shocked to see it directly on the forum. I am not going to sleep for a week after seeing that :? .

Yup, I call that an adolescent boy, japanese import, racing scene car. That is exactly why I got rid of it. TOOOOO many on the road as well there towards the end......before the trade-in, or trade-up in my opinion, for the Crossfire.

So anyway, what is your point? Pot calling the kettle black? If you look at my Crossfire pics, you will see no bolt-ons. In fact, the picture you posted has not bolt-ons either. Those are stock rims powder coated black, and the 350Z emblem on the door was the one on the hatch lid. See, no bolt-ons!

Well, actually there were a few. I added that black pinstripe around the roofline (look for the black line that extends the gap between the door and the fender), and I painted the door handle black to match the rims.

My point is: No ugly wing on the back, no big giant chrome rims, no ground effect thingys, and no japanese symbology or other weird graphic stickers.

Not on my ex-Z, and not on my Crossfire.

Dan- It is ok you don't like my little Shih-Tzu's. What is ironic is that they are a very well behaved breed and do not Yap at all. They'll lick the hell out of you, but they never Yap .

Old 09-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Banned

Not the ones living in California they yip all the time.They do a good baby scream too .I used to have one 10 years ago.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by pelked1
Dan- It is ok you don't like my little Shih-Tzu's. What is ironic is that they are a very well behaved breed and do not Yap at all. They'll lick the hell out of you, but they never Yap .
Consider the source pelked... ops:

Old 09-04-2004, 10:38 AM

I think the stock Xfire will become a classic.

To quote a review by Autobytel:

"In the car-a-minute culture of the 21st centry, it is rare to find one that gives pause. ... Nowadays, it is rare to find a vehicle that deserves the honor of even a die-cast salute, which is quite probably why makers of die-cast statuettes continue to make their living in the 50s and 60s.

There aren't that many current model cars out there worth preserving, even as 1/16th scale model.

Except maybe the 2005 Crossfire. With its Mercedes' guts and Bugatti-inspired American design, the Crossfire looks nothing like what it is: a compromise car between two very different automotive companies, a merging of sorts between two cultures.

... the suberb 215 hp V6 engine, combined with its creative design, gives the Crossfire panache of its own."

So, if you want to... go ahead and modify to your hearts content.

Just don't expect me to....

If you want to read the entire article you can do it here:

http://www.autobytel.com/content/sha...icle_id_int/17

Old 09-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Banned

BIG DITTO !

Old 09-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are different style of modding a car.

Andrew's style of modding is the European type which is is subtle but with a real purpose.

Ricer mods are out to get attention. Gawdy stickers and tails and goofy gadgets like outside tachs on the hood or fire extenguisher mounted next to the windshield (where everyone can see it). Also those buzzy exhaust pipe cans and other loud junk (Both visually or hearing).

Homeboy mods: What are these people thinking. Do they think its really that cool to sit at a light and have their chrome still spinning? It looks so dumb and brings down their percieved mentality. Those drivers of SUVs with large chrome spinner wheels aren't impressing anyone but themselves. And why the chain around the license plate? What is up with that.

Bobafettm mods: While many would call it ricer, he hates ricers. His Crossfire looks stock till its night. Then you will see a glowing blue like a space craft. Here it is:

So far the only changing ive done to my Crossfire is replace the CD Player to JVC that plays MP3's and tinted the windows. I love the wheels like they are. If I was going to do any more it would be the European style like Andrew does. Im condidering changing the front brakes to stop brake dust. Replacing headlights to get the euro blue style. and maybe even lowering like Andrew (if its not too hard or cost too much) Does lowering cause your tires to wear wrong? Just wondering if it puts the tires at the wrong angle? Hope not because it looks nice.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Banned

The springs I have found eibachs now say they only lower the car 1 inch,you have to align all 4 after.Also one XF owner said they settle after driving a while.Then you may have to realign again.Total cost is $700-800.Unless you can do yourself .The car looks good a little lower.I just got another XF and it rides different than my other one even though it has the same tires.It just seems smoother.The stock springs will settle also after afew 1,000 miles.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:25 PM

Bobafettm-

I didn't like your neons at first, but at least you hate the ricers and what they stand for, and I like your stand on keeping the rims stock.

Your cool with me! (like that really matters to anyone anyway).

Old 09-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's part of being human to not get SATISFIED in everything. That's part of our intelligence and from where we have evolved. If the Bossei apemens in Africa only improved their granite axe...we could have been in the space age now but they kept their axe for 2 MILLION YEARS. They didn't even bother put a wooden handle on it :lol:

Others used their imaginations and create....we owe them for doing it because that's what makes us all what we are now.

Modding is intellectual and can make future supercars

Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Banned

I thought we got space travel from Startrek !

Quick Reply: For those of you yearning for bolt-ons