Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Trans Connector Socket Leaking Again

Old 10-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Connector Socket Leaking Again

Trans on my '04 coupe (32,000+ miles) went into limp mode two years ago. Put in a new hydro-electric connector plate and electrical socket, replaced the fluid with Shell 134, got the trans re-flashed (County Transimission, Fairfax, VA - great shop) and everything was fine. Last week I noticed that the front passenger side of the trans was leaking fluid. Looks like the electrical socket I installed is leaking. I'm sure I installed it correctly (I'm an ex-Porsche-Audit tech) because it didn't leak for two years, and quality shouldn't be the issue because it's an MB OEM part. Has anyone experienced an electrical socket leaking after two years and only 500+ miles of driving? Comments appreciated.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Trans Connector Socket Leaking Again

yes they are failure prone, replace the data cable seal again

Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
yes they are failure prone, replace the data cable seal again
Thanks for your reply. Seems that O-rings alone aren't available, but a new OEM socket with O-rings is only $14.00.

Last edited by crymar; 10-19-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by crymar
Thanks for your reply. Seems that O-rings alone aren't available, but a new OEM socket with O-rings is only $14.00.
O-rings are available off the shelf at many places, they come in a variety of sizes. You need ones that can take the heat and the tranny oil over extended periods. O-rings made from fluorocarbon (Viton) would be fine.
Easier to buy the whole assembly though.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-20-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Easier to buy the whole assembly though.
That's the main point...those O-rings alone aren't available from dealers or MB parts houses anymore. With the OEM socket available online for around $12, no sense in searching for generic O-rings.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:28 AM

That's the main point...those O-rings alone aren't available from dealers or MB parts houses anymore. With the OEM socket available online for around $12, no sense in searching for generic O-rings.
I was making the point that they are just O-rings and are easily available at the right places.
Just like the O-ring on the throttle body you can buy them for peanuts if you know the right places, no need to pay the dealer price, but it is more convenient just to go to the stealer. You may have to wait for them from the dealer whereas it will probably be sitting on the shelf at the O-ring supplier.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I was making the point that they are just O-rings and are easily available at the right places.
Just like the O-ring on the throttle body you can buy them for peanuts if you know the right places, no need to pay the dealer price, but it is more convenient just to go to the stealer. You may have to wait for them from the dealer whereas it will probably be sitting on the shelf at the O-ring supplier.
I appreciate your input and advice. I understand the advantages of saving money and realize the availability of O-rings. It's just a personal decision. I'd rather save time and spend a few bucks online ordering an OEM socket (from the comfort of my home) than spend an afternoon driving around trying to save a few pennies on generic O-rings. I'm not trying to be contentious, it's just that I've got nothing better to do here at work than argue on the forum. When I get home I'll argue with my wife. Thanks for bearing with me. Best regards to a fellow Crossfire owner.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 345 Likes on 305 Posts

What it the part number for the socket kit?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have an automatic, but if the O-rings are a weak point, I would try alternative ones, other than the ones provided. Are they plain rubber or nitrile?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
What it the part number for the socket kit?
I believe the MB number is 2035400253, and the Mopar number is 68021352AA. It's not really a kit, but a single piece with O-rings attached.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 PM

I appreciate your input and advice. I understand the advantages of saving money and realize the availability of O-rings. It's just a personal decision. I'd rather save time and spend a few bucks online ordering an OEM socket (from the comfort of my home) than spend an afternoon driving around trying to save a few pennies on generic O-rings. I'm not trying to be contentious, it's just that I've got nothing better to do here at work than argue on the forum. When I get home I'll argue with my wife. Thanks for bearing with me. Best regards to a fellow Crossfire owner. [/SIZE]
I am not arguing, but you initially said that the O-rings were not available. I just made the point that they are.
I was just answering your post.
The O-rings in the initial OEM units appeared to be not up to the task, I thought that they had upgraded them.

Electrical connector shell
MB #203 540 02 53
Chrysler #68021352AA

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-21-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

i took a new oem benz data cable plug/o-rings in to the local o-ring experts last week. they confirmed that the o-rings that mercedes/Chrysler are supplying are made of a very cheap rubber material. I was able to source replacement Viton rubber o-rings and will be offering them up once i get a few sets installed and tested here.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:33 PM

I too just replaced mine, about two weeks after doing a tranny hardline replacement and a full flush. Didn't have any signs of leakage. Got the part at the local Benz dealer, it's a known problem, he had it off the shelve almost sooner than i had finished telling him what was leaking! He mentioned they've been through several types of o-rings to no avail. My car is a daily driver with 113,000.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Default Re: Update on Trans Connector Socket Leaking Again

Trans on my '04 coupe (32,000+ miles) went into limp mode two years ago. Put in a new hydro-electric connector plate and electrical socket, replaced the fluid with Shell 134, got the trans re-flashed (County Transimission, Fairfax, VA - great shop) and everything was fine. Last week I noticed that the front passenger side of the trans was leaking fluid. Looks like the electrical socket I installed is leaking.
I ordered a new OEM electrical socket that for some reason didn't fit. It wouldn't insert completely to a point where I could get a bite with the small bolt with the 7mm hex head that secures it to the trans. I tried rubber lube on the O-rings but still no go. I put the new O-rings on the old socket and it still wouldn't fit which indicated an O-ring problem. Cleaned and lubed the old O-rings, put them back on the original socket and it went back in with no problem. Frustrated, I buttoned everything up and returned the new socket with a note explaining the problem. This was about two months ago. To my surprise it hasn't leaked since. Looks like re-seating the O-rings did the trick. All I can surmise is that I received an OEM electrical socket with out-of-spec O-rings. If that's the case, it's not a common occurrence with MB parts.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:18 PM

I believe if you search ebay that you can find the o-rings 2 to a package for $3.99 with free standard shipping.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:30 AM

I can tell you that MB went through at least 3 different styles of seals on the pilot bushing (what MB calls the connector) because of leaks. Each revision was a new color. I don't remember exactly but I think they were white/clear, then blue, then black. I did mine maybe 20-30k (@40k miles) ago and it's still dry.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scirocco16v
I can tell you that MB went through at least 3 different styles of seals on the pilot bushing (what MB calls the connector) because of leaks. Each revision was a new color. I don't remember exactly but I think they were white/clear, then blue, then black. I did mine maybe 20-30k (@40k miles) ago and it's still dry.
So which one did you install; the blue or the black? I think the replacement I put in was blue. So far, so good.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too replaced mine with a dealer part several years ago and haven't had a problem. I know there was a TSB on it as I found out later. The one I replaced as I can remember was a different color o-ring then the original, that I remember.