Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Just Did Throttle Reset - WOW!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
CDT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just Did Throttle Reset - WOW!

After 3 months of ownership I was a bit disappointed with pickup and the lag in throttle response. I had read on this forum about Throttle Reset and the Sprint Booster, but I was reluctant to try either. Well, I finally decided to try the Reset. I did as the instructions said (courtesy for an Forum member) and WOW - what a difference! Why didn't DC set the car like this during Prep? The car is sooo much quicker and I have zero throttle lag. It's like driving a different car. If anyone hasn't done the Throttle Reset yet, do it NOW!!! You will be amazed.

Last edited by CDT; 08-07-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Just Did Throttle Reset - WOW!

Copied from here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/131929-post17.html

The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving
style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaptation.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter
turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back
to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas
pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the instructions -

Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2 minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing.

If this doesn't work, disconnect your neg. battery cable for 20 minutes. This will re-set the parameters in the drive-by-wire... Unfortunately it will delete your pre-set radio stations, clock etc. as well...

Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did this the other day as well since the ridiculous throttle lag was driving me nuts!! On downshifting there was no way to blip the throttle - unless you like to push a long travel pedal all the way to the floor just for a "blip". After a quick reset the car is almost transformed!!! I think I'll save the Sprint Booster money for a while now!!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:37 PM

After having the car about a month I thought I would give the adjustment a try. WOW! it feels like a bought a different car. I think it even sounds better.
Amazing how much difference this simple task can make.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep in mind that this throttle reset will only work until the car 'learns' you're new driving habits... then the lag will start to come back.

I'd reset it every week or sooner if you can't even stand a little lag.

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:15 PM
CDT

Does anyone know what exactly is causing the lag and why does it exist? Can a dealer permanently address the lag?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I tried the reset and noticed no difference at all. Do you have to count to exactly 120 seconds (2 minutes)? I think I went a little over that...

Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
Hmmm, I tried the reset and noticed no difference at all. Do you have to count to exactly 120 seconds (2 minutes)? I think I went a little over that...
I think the only critical part about that last step " 5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment." is that you wait at least 2 minutes. The other steps are probably more critical that the be followed to the letter. I say this because I did the whole process but did not the drive the car for a few hours after doing it, and the change in throttle lag was dramatic.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CDT
Does anyone know what exactly is causing the lag and why does it exist? Can a dealer permanently address the lag?
I know there is an explanation for this, as I've read it somewhere (yea, I know.. .big help here)... This is considered a 'feature', but I'm clueless as to why...

I would also like to know.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Electric Messiah
I know there is an explanation for this, as I've read it somewhere (yea, I know...big help here)... This is considered a 'feature', but I'm clueless as to why...

I would also like to know.
I also cast my vote for wanting to know why.

Regarding the reset process, who came up with this procedure? Is it in some manual, and why is it only temporary? In other words, how does the vehicle "learn" your driving habits and adjust to them?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:32 AM

The vehicle was designed to learn the individual habits of it's driver as a safety measure. In the event the driver does something out of the ordinary (mash the pedal to the floor), there is about a second for the driver to recover so the vehicle doesn't go out of control.

It also allows the vehicle to learn more aggressive driving habits, but those are harder to be consistent with.

The reset was most likely designed so as to allow a new owner to quickly wipe the learned data or if there were two drivers sharing the car. This way the learned data does not interfere with the next driver's habits.

The reason we find it so detrimental, is that once in a while we want to 'get on it' and there is that annoying lag. Why? Because during every day traffic driving we have been conservative... easy on the gas in crowded freeways and slow braking in city traffic. The car learns the majority of your driving style... so when you 'get on it', it's outside of that normal learned data and the car believes it is not safe to let you do so right away, giving you that safety margin.

My Sprint Booster permanently removed this 'lag'. Some people don't like the Sprint Booster, but most love it.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 AM

So, I take it that this "learning process" is constant. No matter how many times you reset, it will eventually reset again, on its own.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Copernicus
So, I take it that this "learning process" is constant. No matter how many times you reset, it will eventually reset again, on its own.
Yes. Its a bit sketchy on the details of the number of response curves but the manual states:
The PCM recognizes how the accelerator pedal is being pressed and switches between a few characteristic curves.
Eighty percent of the engine’s power is achieved for a pedal travel of about 50% for an aggressive driver and about 40% for a conservative driver. There is no further difference felt above a pedal travel of about 90%.
The characteristic curve for a conservative driver is active after a long drive. Then the accelerator pedal must be pressed down unusually hard to obtain a higher acceleration level.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Forum Regular

Does this work on the six-speed?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 PM

ANY crossfire has the drive-by-wire system and will also have the 'learning' part that can be reset.

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gwetoe
Does this work on the six-speed?
As MMZ_TimeLord has said, all Crossfires use the same drive by wire system but I can tell you definitively that it works great on the 6 speed, having done it to my car twice now.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Forum Regular

I gave this a try Saturday and it seemed to give my car a jolt of caffeine.

One bit of weirdness. This may only be coincidence but after I did the reset the spoiler didn't deploy on the freeway. I had to open and shut it twice by hand to get it to beep and then it was fine.

Is that crazy? Surely that didn't have anything to do with it but I had not moved it with the switch in a long time. I know that can make the auto-deploy not work occasionally.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 PM
CDT

Now I'm depressed - the Throttle Reset only lasted 7 days. I noticed degradation in performance last night and did a reset again this morning to see it there was a difference, and yes there was. I don't want to have to do this weekly.

Ok, can someone explain this to me... it's a computer that is doing a reset - imposing the lag - why can't the computer be reset to permanently eliminate the lag?

I don't want to use an after market product (Sprint Booster) as it fixes the problem but I want to eliminate the cause.

Comments?

Also, HDDP, where did you get the Throttle Reset info? You can't make this stuff up... i.e. Stop the Car, leave key in ignition, put right finger in left nostril, close left eye, turn lights on, cough, count to 30, your car should now be a Ferrari and you should look like Brad Pitt (but it will only last 7 days - which would probably be OK).

Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM

CDT that last comment almost made me pee my pants thanks for the laugh...

Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm not sure were the throttle reset instructions came from, but I'd bet it was from a Mercedes owner or mechanic.

Quick Reply: Just Did Throttle Reset - WOW!