Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)

Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)

Does anyone occasionally have a problem getting the car in gear when your foot is on the clutch? For example: those times when your running late to go somewhere (lol) and you start the car up and put it in reverse and the stick is sliding in that position, but it just wont click and you let the clutch out to see if you got it and you get that terrible grinding noise. This happens in reverse and second gear for me occasionally and I didn't know if this is a common thing. The way I fix it is putting it in neutral (while parked with foot on clutch) then shifting to first and second, then it will work afterwards but I feel this shouldn't be happening regardless. Thanks

Old 01-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Default Re: Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)

I have always put it in a forward gear before going for reverse in all vehicles. I have never had a problem.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Default Re: Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)

I have had this happen two or three times -- but since I hate that grinding sound if I am not in the gear intended - - I am purpose-full in taking my time getting into reverse especially !!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Yes, I have the problem in first and second when the box is cold. First improves fairly quickly, but second takes longer as the fluid heats up, but second is never as smooth as the remaining gears.

The BMW boys over at BMWCCA swear by Red Line for improving shift quality in their boxes. Anyone here ever tried it?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 AM

haha ok so I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted by Rblakeney
Yes, I have the problem in first and second when the box is cold. First improves fairly quickly, but second takes longer as the fluid heats up, but second is never as smooth as the remaining gears.

The BMW boys over at BMWCCA swear by Red Line for improving shift quality in their boxes. Anyone here ever tried it?
Do you mean red line the car before you put it in gear?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aeroxfire
Do you mean red line the car before you put it in gear?
lol, I hope that's a joke

Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try a synthetic oil in the tranny. I switched mine over to Amsoil 0W-20 last Fall with good cold weather results. However, the notchy shifting is just a characteristic of this vehicle.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Never have a problem going straight into reverse (clutch in, then up/back) in either stick Crossfire. On both of them the 1->2 shift is sticky. The 2005 seems to be breaking in and that shift isn't as bad as it was when the car was new...or I'm just finally finding the groove.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=28237

Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM

I have about 4500 miles on my 06 and it is a little better at going in to gear compared to new. Also, I noticed that the 1-2 shift seems smoother if done between 3000- 3500rpm. That seems to be kind of a "sweet spot" for the upshift.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I keep the revs up properly (whether shifting up or down) it's smooth as butter.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Life is random...so am I.

At lower speeds / RPM's the shifter is a little clunky.

I have found that at the dragstrip it shifts pretty smooth, granted, I shift it at redline and don't lift off the gas.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
lol, I hope that's a joke
lol not exactly, I meant rev it a bit to warm it up or something then put it in gear, but now that I look at what I wrote it does look like a joke

Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM

Red Line gear oil.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...p?categoryID=7

Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeroxfire
lol not exactly, I meant rev it a bit to warm it up or something then put it in gear, but now that I look at what I wrote it does look like a joke
it's not good to rev a car when its cold. the engine then has to not only speed itself up, but also slow itself down. It's better to warm up a car with a light load on the engine (driving relatively slow) as long as their is enough oil pressure.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM

I had it hard to get into reverse a couple of times... just throw it to neutral and try it again and it is fine. Second gear still sucks though. I now have a bad habit of shifting so slow into second... because if I jam it and miss then it will go grind on me. I hate second gear! Did anyone figure out what the actual cause of it is? Synchros?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any issues with my gearbox at all. The 1-2 upshift felt a bit balky at first but I was coming out of a Miata and they are known for excellent gearboxes. The car now has just a bit over 8000 miles and the 1-2 shift feels fine now. Taking it easy or slamming it on the track, no issues. I don't even have a problem selecting 1st when the car is moving slowly forward, like when approaching a stop light that turns green just before coming to a complete stop. I've heard of others not being able to select 1st at that point, but I don't have that problem either.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
I don't have any issues with my gearbox at all. The 1-2 upshift felt a bit balky at first but I was coming out of a Miata and they are known for excellent gearboxes. The car now has just a bit over 8000 miles and the 1-2 shift feels fine now. Taking it easy or slamming it on the track, no issues. I don't even have a problem selecting 1st when the car is moving slowly forward, like when approaching a stop light that turns green just before coming to a complete stop. I've heard of others not being able to select 1st at that point, but I don't have that problem either.
Ya, I was going to say... I could never get it into first while moving. What have you done to your gearbox?? I am jealous. I do not slam my gears or anything... but sometime it is smoother than other times.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
it's not good to rev a car when its cold. the engine then has to not only speed itself up, but also slow itself down. It's better to warm up a car with a light load on the engine (driving relatively slow) as long as their is enough oil pressure.
Ya I hear ya, I don't really ever do that, I'm quite gas conscious lol

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 AM

I have the same problem when it cold, somewhat stiff going to 1st, 2nd or reverse. These gears are not syncronized and I go into a higher gear stops the transmission movement and allows you to get into the gear easier works for me. When the outside temperture reaches 60 plus or transmission gets to noraml temp. its longer a problem.

Last edited by DMS Xfire; 01-27-2009 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Occasional problem with getting the car in gear (manual transmission)