Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

ALL who have had new SKREEM Modules

Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ALL who have had new SKREEM Modules

Location of Skreem module: If my recollection is accurate, (behind the instrument panel) the instrument panel has to be pulled because the module is located in that area. As for returning the part to Chrysler, yes, the requirement was that the part had to be returned. As for symptoms of a failing Skreem module (my experience), the engine would turn over but not catch on the 1st attempt. This occurred in several instances until one day, the engine tuned over 1 time and then nothing. Had the CF towed to Chrysler. They diagnosed the Skreem module (one parts manager referred to it as an ignition module when I was calling around to gain info on the failure) but all stated that it was a Skreem module. The original part per their repair manual or requirements by Chrysler was such that I never requested or suggested that the part be returned. The part is specific to each CF, no cross overs from CF to another CF, they say it won't work. Anyway, the repair was successful and I am now sensitive to see that the engine turns over AND starts. I had one occurrence, 1 time where the engine did not start. Hope all this helps.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Add another to the list of skreem module failures. An 04 with 18,000 miles. Same symptoms as described. Eliminated all other known easy fixes (also helps to have a second Crossfire to swap parts with). Called the dealership, skipped the 1/2 dozen services advisors and talked directly to the service manager, told him what I thought the issue was and that I wanted to come into town (Anchorage about a 50 mile drive) and meet with him and their certified XF tech. An hour later after talking with the tech who appeared to be a nice older guy who has been with the dealership forever and was originally trained on the XF back in 2003. I went over everything with him, RCM, CPS, batteries, etc. I believed it helped that I had the knowledge and information from this forum that I kinda sounded like I knew what I was talking about. The dealership ordered the module and it came in on Friday and I had an appointment for 7am the following Monday. I followed the flatbed in to town and helped off load the car in their shop. Talked with the tech again, went over everything I had done to the car, and when he said something to the effect that he had be looking into the R&R of the module over the weekend, I had a good feeling this guy was a dedicated mechanic. Long story short- at my first meeting with them the tech said it would take about 2 hours to remove the dash and replace. I got a call at 3pm that it was fixed and everything was working as it suppose to. I was out the door with a $425.00 bill for parts and labor.
In addition I believe it helped that I was able to meet one on one with the tech multiple times so he could get to know me and I him. I also know that there is no way he did this job in 2 hours. It was in his bay at 7 and he was just finishing up the paperwork at 3. I felt somewhat vindicated before I left in the morning when he hooked up the DRB III and it came up with "skreem module not communicating ----". I told him that fancy diagnostic tool he had was telling the same thing I was trying to tell him.
I like most on this forum cringe when considering taking our cars to a mechanic or "the" dealership and while I think I can do most things on these cars this was one that I didn't think I should try and tackle.
To conclude - yes - I know others have done this themselves by buying a used module, having it sent away and programed to their VIN. However, for $425 out the door, I couldn't be happier. Not to mention the 50 mile drive home from the dealership was priceless.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindin
Add another to the list of skreem module failures. An 04 with 18,000 miles. Same symptoms as described. Eliminated all other known easy fixes (also helps to have a second Crossfire to swap parts with). Called the dealership, skipped the 1/2 dozen services advisors and talked directly to the service manager, told him what I thought the issue was and that I wanted to come into town (Anchorage about a 50 mile drive) and meet with him and their certified XF tech. An hour later after talking with the tech who appeared to be a nice older guy who has been with the dealership forever and was originally trained on the XF back in 2003. I went over everything with him, RCM, CPS, batteries, etc. I believed it helped that I had the knowledge and information from this forum that I kinda sounded like I knew what I was talking about. The dealership ordered the module and it came in on Friday and I had an appointment for 7am the following Monday. I followed the flatbed in to town and helped off load the car in their shop. Talked with the tech again, went over everything I had done to the car, and when he said something to the effect that he had be looking into the R&R of the module over the weekend, I had a good feeling this guy was a dedicated mechanic. Long story short- at my first meeting with them the tech said it would take about 2 hours to remove the dash and replace. I got a call at 3pm that it was fixed and everything was working as it suppose to. I was out the door with a $425.00 bill for parts and labor.
In addition I believe it helped that I was able to meet one on one with the tech multiple times so he could get to know me and I him. I also know that there is no way he did this job in 2 hours. It was in his bay at 7 and he was just finishing up the paperwork at 3. I felt somewhat vindicated before I left in the morning when he hooked up the DRB III and it came up with "skreem module not communicating ----". I told him that fancy diagnostic tool he had was telling the same thing I was trying to tell him.
I like most on this forum cringe when considering taking our cars to a mechanic or "the" dealership and while I think I can do most things on these cars this was one that I didn't think I should try and tackle.
To conclude - yes - I know others have done this themselves by buying a used module, having it sent away and programed to their VIN. However, for $425 out the door, I couldn't be happier. Not to mention the 50 mile drive home from the dealership was priceless.
That is a good story with a happy ending.
All is not gloom and doom at the dealers.
Bit of a drive from Ontario for good service though. LOL

Old 04-16-2015, 02:28 PM

If you came up in the summer months the drive back through the heart of Alaska, down the Alcan into the Yukon Territory then on through northern British Columbia would be considered by some people to be on their "Bucket List". And to do that road trip in a Crossfire, oh my! Keep in mind the Mounties are pretty few and far between in that part of the country. No harm in dreaming.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hindin

If you came up in the summer months the drive back through the heart of Alaska, down the Alcan into the Yukon Territory then on through northern British Columbia would be considered by some people to be on their "Bucket List". And to do that road trip in a Crossfire, oh my! Keep in mind the Mounties are pretty few and far between in that part of the country. No harm in dreaming.
Back in 1968 a friend drove his three year old car from Vancouver up to Alaska and that Hwy ruined his car, he got back with dents everywhere, an engine compartment with 1/4" of dust all over and the third windshield since he left Ontario. That Alaska Highway was car killer, he got back and purchased a new car.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Back in 1968 a friend drove his three year old car from Vancouver up to Alaska and that Hwy ruined his car, he got back with dents everywhere, an engine compartment with 1/4" of dust all over and the third windshield since he left Ontario. That Alaska Highway was car killer, he got back and purchased a new car.
Well, maybe the winter time (before breakup) would work best when the road is still frozen like a concrete highway and the dust is covered by snow. Joking aside, sometimes that road is in better shape when it's frozen. Another option is to take the Alaska Marine Highway ferry from Bellingham Wa., to Whitter AK. You can take your car and cruise the inside passage on the way. Absolutely spectacular.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Re: ALL who have had new SKREEM Modules

What a skreem repair story. Based upon forum members experience with dealers, it's good to have some knowledge of the CF so that the service manager at Chrysler takes "us" seriously. I would like to think that the service departments WANT to fix our cars even though they don't like or see CF often. I think if your nice, they will be nice. If your an *******, they will treat you, as such. I have had 3 repairs at Chrysler dealers in 2 years owning the CF, each with many discussions, opinions, etc. as to how to repair and what has to be repaired. I'll print out forum discussions and show detail if necessary, but that has not been necessary, yet. With any fussy car, failures occur. If the CF gets to the point that repairs are painful and a distraction, then I'll sell it. Up to now, it's been a fun car, a unique car so I'll keep driving it. My son says. "never sell it". Like he says about everything else I've owned since grade school. Whatever. Glad to hear that the skreem was successfully replaced. btw way 180- the leather seats (in my opinion) have tremendous more back support than the cloth seats. No comparison! If my wife says so, it has to be true. Right?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BisB
What a skreem repair story. Based upon forum members experience with dealers, it's good to have some knowledge of the CF so that the service manager at Chrysler takes "us" seriously. I would like to think that the service departments WANT to fix our cars even though they don't like or see CF often. I think if your nice, they will be nice. If your an *******, they will treat you, as such. I have had 3 repairs at Chrysler dealers in 2 years owning the CF, each with many discussions, opinions, etc. as to how to repair and what has to be repaired. I'll print out forum discussions and show detail if necessary, but that has not been necessary, yet. With any fussy car, failures occur. If the CF gets to the point that repairs are painful and a distraction, then I'll sell it. Up to now, it's been a fun car, a unique car so I'll keep driving it. My son says. "never sell it". Like he says about everything else I've owned since grade school. Whatever. Glad to hear that the skreem was successfully replaced. btw way 180- the leather seats (in my opinion) have tremendous more back support than the cloth seats. No comparison! If my wife says so, it has to be true. Right?
No question about, she has to be right.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
My 2007 crossfire with 12,000 miles..just stopped.. was told it was the skreem module...if i had been in traffic..this would have been disasterterous. Is chrysler doing anything about what i consider a safety issue..besides expense...

I noticed it's been exactly 1 year since jerseygirl made her post on the car stalling and nothing since. Maybe she traded the car in.