Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Interior Ergonomics

Old 02-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Interior Ergonomics

Wildbill,
Congratulations on your new car and on your graduating in May. Spring is really going to be a great time for you! I hate winter too, and it's worse now that I have a convertible! I can't wait till spring also. it's 18f outside here today, and last week they said it was going to warm up this week! I guess I'm not too fond of weathermen, either! Haha! At least it's not snowing here.

Cybergreg,
I think I took offense at Bradlock's post because it seems as if he only joined to express his negative feelings about the car, which isn't a crime, but he's never said anything else since, which seems to make that even more apparent. I wish he would come back and let us know what he thinks of the car now that he's had it a few months! Hopefully some of those things on his list may have become less of a safety issue.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we hurt Brads feelings; he's either taken his Xfire and gone to play with someone else or just plain sold the monster.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:37 AM

Hi

I thought the silver looked a bit micky mouse inside, so the dealer colour co-ordinated it the same as the exterior in classic yellow so no glare here.. oh..and i also coloured the interior central mirror yellow to......it looks cool..yet sunny..also they tinted back n side windows darker tint so the only glare i get is from other road users ....i feel rude when i dont drive it...if i had a complaint i would be lying
vern

Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up Re: Interior Ergonomics

Okay, I'll try and be as "PC" as I can... I've found that older, less experienced people (Internet and forum paticipation that is and even in emailing) can have a fairly thin skin. In addition, the older generation and I know I'm gonna take crap for this, expects to be treated with respect because that's how they treat others.

Now everyone, please I am not pointing any fingers... this was a normal forum discussion. He posted his opinion and others posted their reactions and opinions... hey its all good, that's what we do here!

It's just too bad that with this one post Brad got soured on the experience. In fact I'll go on to say that it is his loss for not getting to know MI and everyone else better.

MI - I completely understood your post - no worries...

Edit: Oh and vernon - you better post some pictures of this yellow dash!!!!

Old 02-01-2005, 11:17 AM

I'd just like to say - at the risk of getting flamed by the majority - that i LOVE the CUPHOLDER! It draws attention from new passengers when its folded down - "Hey what's this? WOW Cool". Its kinda cute. Admittedly it may have some drawbacks, for instance it caused the following converstation to occur when giving a first ride to a friend:

Friend: "Why do you have a box of straws in your glove box?"

Me: "Umm, heh, heh, well you see, er, the cup holder is a little cumbersome, so I stick my cup in it and leave it there and use a straw to drink it."

So you see - its a conversation starter too!

Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 AM

I must admit that I'm not excited about cupholder location (although I have gotten used to it) but there's not a whole lot of room in there to put it anyplace else unless they had a pull out one.

About Brad, I think he took Sandman's advice and traded it in for (or is looking for) a Gremlin. Now if you want to talk about junk, the Gremlin (and it's cousin the Sportabout) was it. I had a Sportabout and it was the worst piece of junk I ever owned - and the dealer was terrible to boot.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 AM

Hey...I learned how to drive on a Hornet Sportabout wagon....three on the tree...what a blast! Still on a manual...and its even better now with 6!

Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 PM

Bradlock- as to the tire question. I formerly lived in SD and MN for 21 years. I always had two sets of tires, and wheels. One set for winter and one for summer. I learned this while living in Europe (Germany and Italy) for 9 years. No All Season tires over there while I was there. Go to Tire Rack - www. tirerack.com (I have used them four times) and they have a program which will help you select the wheels, and tires. I believe the Owners Manual states you can go to 18's all around with pure snows. You may want to check out Bridgestone Blizzaks for tires. They are purely winter tires, for snow and ice. I have read they are outstanding performers in snow although I used Dunlops. And, no chains to screw around with. This is money well spent, from a safety stand point. It also extends the tire life of both sets, since you are using them in rotation instead of year round. Using this method I have never replaced a set of tires before I replaced the car.
Hope this helps.
John

Old 02-05-2005, 06:57 AM

I am prolly going to be selling my Blizzaks and winter wheel set up rips right throught the snow has about 600miles on it or so. Maybe less. Pictures in gallery. Going to be asking $1,000

Old 12-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradlock
- The cruise control lever is difficult to reach, a little confusing, and just plain cheap. It does not belong in the Crossfire.
Believe it or not, even the latest CL65 AMG has the exact same cruise control lever. Not sure then if it's "cheap" considering it's in a 100,000 dollar car. I'd rather have it, since it's a Mercedes trait

Additionally, there is no special warning of the fact that this car uses synthetic oil.

My car came with a sticker on the front crossmember that clearly says: Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40.

Special, performance tires should be an option, not standard, even though this is a sports car. And dealers should have available the all-season tires.
Not sure I understand this. The last time I checked, this was a 3000 lb rear-wheel drive car with a 219hp/229ftlbs torque V6 and huge 18/19" staggered rims - aka a Sports Car. Given the price of performance tires, I'd rather have them standard rather than an option!!

Love the car, but feel the ergonomics guys were asleep at the wheel.
It's definitely form over function. I agree with you about the silver paint on the center console. I would have liked it better if it was trimmed in black alcantara.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only use synthetic engine
oils, approved to MB 229.3 or MB 229.5, such as Mobil 1
SAE 0W-40. This is in the manual for those who don't bother to read it.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Believe it or not, even the latest CL65 AMG has the exact same cruise control lever. Not sure then if it's "cheap" considering it's in a 100,000 dollar car. I'd rather have it, since it's a Mercedes trait
I've owned many cars and trucks; including, a 2007 Mercedes-Benz E350, which has the same cruise control.
IMO, it is the easiest cruise control to use.
I love it.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
My car came with a sticker on the front crossmember that clearly says: Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40.
My Crossfire has the sticker too.
This is the same oil Mercedes recommends for my 2007 E350.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Forum Regular

I think you have some valid points.

There was a time when Chrysler had some of the best interior ergononics on the market.

In regards to the oil - synthetic oil has a much longer life than regular oil. I have always run a synthetic blend in my 03 Altima. Synthetic oil genrally offers better protection (less inclined to become viscous) during cold start ups, and does not break down as fast when hot. (more stable)

I have always advocated that oil and fluid changes are the least expensive maintenance you can perform for your car.

City driving necesitates more frequent oil changes as does cold weather. Short trips in cold weather, can build up significant condnesation in the oil pan. I never let my oil go past 5000 miles.

As a matter of interest it is easier on your motor when starting cold to drive it moderately to warm it up, than let it sit and idle.

In line coolant warmers vs. block heaters do a better job of heating the motor via plug in by circulating warm fluid through the cooling system, thus heating the engine.

If I can be honest, if you are driving in conditions that require tire chains for heavens sake purchase a different car...Like say an AWD Subaru...TThe Crossfire was never designed for the snow. It's light in weight and it's RWD The width of standard tire which holds like it's on rails during dry road condiditons, renders it useless in the snow. Think of all the sand and salt damage your car will incur during winter driving.

It's a sweet car...look after it.

P.S I'm looking forward to your Crossfire offroad report... ;-)

Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, this post was started 3 years ago by someone who made this their one and only post!!! I wonder if he still has the car???

My only comments are regarding the cruise control lever. When I first got the car I kept hitting it instead of the turn signal stalk, so for me it certainly isn't hard to reach!!! The original poster also states that the cruise control stalk on his PT Cruiser is easier to use - well, I also have a Cruiser and find the stalk on the Crossfire to be neither more difficult nor simple, just different.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

You need to drive a new civic...........then lets see what you think

Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Wow, this post was started 3 years ago by someone who made this their one and only post!!! I wonder if he still has the car???

My only comments are regarding the cruise control lever. When I first got the car I kept hitting it instead of the turn signal stalk, so for me it certainly isn't hard to reach!!! The original poster also states that the cruise control stalk on his PT Cruiser is easier to use - well, I also have a Cruiser and find the stalk on the Crossfire to be neither more difficult nor simple, just different.
He posted on 11-10-04 checked back on 11-12-04 and hasn't been back since. I too wonder if he kept it or not.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Simply put JUST SELL YOUR CAR!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not trying to be rude or insult anyone but maybe his age might have something to do with his negative post. I hope when I'm his age I can still get in and out of a car like the Xfire and drive it for that matter.

Last edited by robby363; 12-20-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to PM him and see if he still has the Crossfire or moved on to a safer car . I have no problems with the ergonomics of the Crossfire, just the short driving season around here, Florida here I come

Quick Reply: Interior Ergonomics