CrossfireForum.org
Loading
 
Register Photos FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read vBLiveVendor Directory
- CLICK HERE TO GET RID OF THESE ADS -
Go Back   CrossfireForum.org > Cars > Crossfire SRT6

Welcome to Crossfire Forum!
Welcome to Crossfire Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please
join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 86
Default DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Everyone who has ever had problems with engine blow up, please HELP.
What do you think about scratched CRANKSHAFT by connecting rod bearings. causing by LACK of engine oil. NOW i do polishing my crankshaft at
2mm and will go with first repair bearings from simple Crossfire not SRT as it does not provide any other bearings. And now all i am afraid of breaking to parts my crankshaft as it gong to be up to 2mm thiner after polishing. secondary i am afraid of bearings as whey are not going to be from AMG any more, just from serial c320 with 215hp, so they migth not be enough strong for the AMG model. If you have any Expiriance towards this just help.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2010, 06:34 AM
waldig's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 3,967
Talking Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Go to a machine shop and they will decide what is needed. Woody

Bearings dont decide the HP.


Pro Bono Designer of NEEDSWINGS:
Dual throttle body induction system!
DUAL CAI // Super Cooler H/E
Pulley Saver (s) // OIL separator
F/A controller for WOT
// 180 degree Tstat
Ported Manifold & Intake - installed and in tested 8/1/09
CAI Hood with inverted scoops and
Lowered seat & 5 point belt // posi rear
Sprint Booster + 185 Euro pulley
Gasket matched intake / heads
Intercooler investigation redesign
RWHP 349 @ last dyno / 12.518 / 111.08 @12.7:1 F/A
8.075 / 87.48
[/COLOR]
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
kingkub57's Avatar
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Clair Shores Michigan
Age: 56
Posts: 453
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


I agree get a machine shop that does this kind of work all the time and will give you the information you need, and after I went through the engine to repair it, (if you did it yourself) I would be more worried about spinning a rod or crank bearing because of the 2mm difference, but more important would be is why you had no oil there to begin with, and what caused it to have this problem ?


05 SSB SRT6 Coupe # 51014 - Needswings Dual CAI - and Oil Catch Can - MOPAR under dash Light Kit (4 colors with 16 different shades) - MOPAR Rear Air Diffuser's - 3 OEM 1st Design SRT 6 badges for both front fenders and spoiler lower front lip - OEM 04 Auto Dim Mirror - Painted Blue Calipers - KPI Custom SS door sill plates w/ blue CROSSFIRE logo - MAXCICHON'S SS Chrome engine bay covers - 35w 6K Xenon HID lamp upgrade
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2010, 12:17 PM
oledoc2u's Avatar
Holliday LLC
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IN
Age: 60
Posts: 13,564
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


spinning a rod bearing from lack of oil would be my first concern...second, I would do as the others suggested...a good machine shop will match the bearings to the crank, and won't be a problem at all...has nothing to do with HP...but getting oil to them is most important...plugged holes, bad oil pump, low oil level....need to figure that out first....good luck...


'05 Black Xfire #59312 SRT6 Roadster
Needswings Dual CAI-Code 3 SC Pulley-Sprint Booster- LET CustomTune-Needswings Catch Can, R1 Concept drilled rotors,Axxis brake pads, Goodrich brake lines, Castrol SBF, 240 manis, psk, Goodyear F1 GS D3'sb, Wavetrac
12.22ET @ 113.81 Mph (1.74 60')Street tires
'05 Blue xfire #42796 SRT6 Coupe
Needswings Dual CAI-Karmann 62mm SC Pulley-Sprint Booster-Needswings Catch Can-Needswings Manis, Needswings Cooling separation-Eurocharged Tune-wavetrac-psk
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 86
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Thanks, I did not repair engine my self it does work shop, i just wanted to know if it is ok to go with polished up to 2mm krankshaft and bearings that will not going to be from AMG manufacture as whey do not offer any bearings for repaired crankshaft.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 13,760
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasim
Thanks, I did not repair engine my self it does work shop, i just wanted to know if it is ok to go with polished up to 2mm krankshaft and bearings that will not going to be from AMG manufacture as whey do not offer any bearings for repaired crankshaft.
Rasim
Crankshafts have hardened wear surfaces and the inner core of the material is much softer but stronger. If the crankshaft was hard all the way through it would soon snap into pieces.
I do not know the specific depth of the hardened surface on these crankshafts, normally it is only a fraction of a millimeter.
If Mercedes does not offer bearings for a reground crankshaft then I would assume that the crankshaft does not have enough depth of hardness to allow for grinding.
If the final hardening of the surface was nitriding or tuftriding then the surface would easily be all gone I think after .25 mm of grinding per face. If the engine only needs .10 mm of hardened material why add more?
In the old days you could regrind crankshafts, I think high performance engines these days require a new crankshaft.
When you mention polishing I think you mean grinding, 2 mm ( 1 mm per side) would have been too much for the old crankshafts.
You should check the truth of what I say but I am not too far wrong I think.
I'm sorry the news I give is not very good.


Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
- John F. Kennedy

Helpful hints.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 AM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 86
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundred80
Rasim
Crankshafts have hardened wear surfaces and the inner core of the material is much softer but stronger. If the crankshaft was hard all the way through it would soon snap into pieces.
I do not know the specific depth of the hardened surface on these crankshafts, normally it is only a fraction of a millimeter.
If Mercedes does not offer bearings for a reground crankshaft then I would assume that the crankshaft does not have enough depth of hardness to allow for grinding.
If the final hardening of the surface was nitriding or tuftriding then the surface would easily be all gone I think after .25 mm of grinding per face. If the engine only needs .10 mm of hardened material why add more?
In the old days you could regrind crankshafts, I think high performance engines these days require a new crankshaft.
When you mention polishing I think you mean grinding, 2 mm ( 1 mm per side) would have been too much for the old crankshafts.
You should check the truth of what I say but I am not too far wrong I think.
I'm sorry the news I give is not very good.
I check the information with my work shop an d i was wrong not 2mm (1 mm per side) and just only 0.02mm per side that means all grinding took not more than 0.05mm
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 AM
oledoc2u's Avatar
Holliday LLC
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IN
Age: 60
Posts: 13,564
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasim
I check the information with my work shop an d i was wrong not 2mm (1 mm per side) and just only 0.02mm per side that means all grinding took not more than 0.05mm
there you go....that is more like it.....they just cleaned it up a bit...you should be fine...but, what caused the failure to begin with?


'05 Black Xfire #59312 SRT6 Roadster
Needswings Dual CAI-Code 3 SC Pulley-Sprint Booster- LET CustomTune-Needswings Catch Can, R1 Concept drilled rotors,Axxis brake pads, Goodrich brake lines, Castrol SBF, 240 manis, psk, Goodyear F1 GS D3'sb, Wavetrac
12.22ET @ 113.81 Mph (1.74 60')Street tires
'05 Blue xfire #42796 SRT6 Coupe
Needswings Dual CAI-Karmann 62mm SC Pulley-Sprint Booster-Needswings Catch Can-Needswings Manis, Needswings Cooling separation-Eurocharged Tune-wavetrac-psk
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 13,760
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasim
I check the information with my work shop an d i was wrong not 2mm (1 mm per side) and just only 0.02mm per side that means all grinding took not more than 0.05mm
I'm glad to hear that news, the material you said was removed was excessive. Presumably the workshop removed enough material for a standard size bearing.
Good luck.


Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
- John F. Kennedy

Helpful hints.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
MikeR's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Plains, OR
Age: 64
Posts: 5,190
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


Rasim, is this on your V8 engine?


2005 SRT6 Aero Blue coupe
"The Aero"
1/4 mile: 11.92 secs @ 114.3mph 1.72 60'

Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Advertisement
Default Re: DaMAGED CRANKSHAFT


 
 
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.




Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2