Battery Light comes on when I accelerate - CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Default Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

My battery light came on today on the interstate after accelerating. I just put a brand new battery and alternator on the car so Im confused as to why it would come on. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

One more thing- Does anyone know if the connector to the back of the Alternator is supposed to have more than one wire?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
pizzaguy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: On The Cool Side of Cumming, GA
Age: 57
Posts: 7,967
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

You have provided insufficient information for us to help you.

Did it come on and stay on?
Is it still on?
Was this a one-time event or is it a constant problem?
Why did you replace the alternator AND battery? (That is, what is the "backstory" here.)
Is the belt tension right? (That is, did the light come on because the belt was slipping.)

Fill us in on what is really going on!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

My old alternator went bacd a few weeks ago and it caused the battery to go bad as well. We replaced everything ourselves on my 2006 Crossfire. (The parts were orginal) After we replaced the first Alternator the lights would dim in and out and so we were told it was a faulty Voltage regulator- so I ordered another one-after installing this one last night the lights were fine but this morning I was on the interstate and the battery light came on and as soon as I slowed down it went off. So I punched it again to see what would happen and it came on again. So it only comes on when I accelerate the vehicle in high speeds. The lights no longer flicker. Its just the battery light now.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
pizzaguy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: On The Cool Side of Cumming, GA
Age: 57
Posts: 7,967
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Ok, now to research and see just what lights the light. I don't beleive it is like the 70's where the light only meant a "no charging" condition.
Take, for instance, the light on the left that looks like a radiator. When lit, it can mean the coolant level is low, it can also mean that the ECM has lost contact with or senses a failure in, the fan control module.

If you could monitor the system voltage while driving and see what happens to the voltage when the light is on and off, it would be a helluva clue.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 77
Posts: 17,737
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker85 View Post
One more thing- Does anyone know if the connector to the back of the Alternator is supposed to have more than one wire?
I think there are three wires, they may be in one connector.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

OK. Ill try that. Im really wondering if I need to get a new belt because I had to take it off a few times.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM
maxcichon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MOFN, AL, 70 miles from George
Age: 58
Posts: 7,870
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Did you replace the serpentine belt? Sounds like it may be slipping on acceleration.

Contamination? Oil?

Tensioner?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Alright after checking the voltage the battery light would come on as soon as the car hit 2000 RPMS it would also lower the voltage to 12.2 to 12.3. However I tried this after i got home. Today when i started the car after work the battery light stayed on and didnt go off until 12 miles later. Pep Boys tested the Alternator and the battery and said they were fine but it seems like the alternator isnt charging the battery the way its supposed to while driving it?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 77
Posts: 17,737
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker85 View Post
Alright after checking the voltage the battery light would come on as soon as the car hit 2000 RPMS it would also lower the voltage to 12.2 to 12.3. However I tried this after i got home. Today when i started the car after work the battery light stayed on and didnt go off until 12 miles later. Pep Boys tested the Alternator and the battery and said they were fine but it seems like the alternator isnt charging the battery the way its supposed to while driving it?
Have you inspected the cables and grounds at the battery? There may be corrosion that may not be visible even inside the insulation.

If the voltage drops it may mean that the supplied battery power is too low when the car needs more power. This may be due to poor wires not capable of carrying that voltage.
Not enough power makes it to the battery so the alternator supplies the need directly.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 AM
waldig's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 4,097
Talking Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Simple test at home:

With the car running, you should be able to remove the battery negative terminal and have the alternator produce enough to keep car running. I though that the regulator was internal?? Wiring connector/connections may be your area to check out.

Woody
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM
MoparFreak69's Avatar
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Age: 35
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldig View Post
Simple test at home:

With the car running, you should be able to remove the battery negative terminal and have the alternator produce enough to keep car running. I though that the regulator was internal?? Wiring connector/connections may be your area to check out.

Woody
Do NOT do this!!!
The battery is there to mellow out the imperfect voltage signal the alternator puts out. An alternator produces AC voltage that is simply clipped to give a DC type of equivalent signal by the voltage regulator. It does not actually produce a constant battery like DC feed. Your electronics will not like it. It may or may not stay running. It may or may not cause immediate damage, but all it takes is a split second and a module is done.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM
ala_xfire's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lineville, AL
Age: 72
Posts: 9,283
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
Do NOT do this!!!
The battery is there to mellow out the imperfect voltage signal the alternator puts out. An alternator produces AC voltage that is simply clipped to give a DC type of equivalent signal by the voltage regulator. It does not actually produce a constant battery like DC feed. Your electronics will not like it. It may or may not stay running. It may or may not cause immediate damage, but all it takes is a split second and a module is done.
+1 to that ( sorry Woody )
The best check is to measure the battery voltage with the engine off, should be 12v or a bit better.
Start the engine, voltage should be 14.3-14.8 volts, if not, alternator is not putting out.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Middletown, DE
Age: 55
Posts: 290
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

I've posted a couple of time about this issue which I have as well. New battery, cables and alternator installed. I'm out a few $$ without correcting the problem (?) but the good news is that it hasn't been an issue as far as driving even on long trips.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

I tried the Voltage last night and it stayed at 11.7- I also took the plug out of the back of the Alternator and it only has one blue wire in it? Is that Normal? When I started the car with out it in the battery light stayed off then came back on once I put it in. Pep Boys tested it again and they said both are good. Could it be the plug that inserts in the back of the Alternator? I have pictures but cant figure out how to really put them up.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 PM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 77
Posts: 17,737
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker85 View Post
I tried the Voltage last night and it stayed at 11.7- I also took the plug out of the back of the Alternator and it only has one blue wire in it? Is that Normal? When I started the car with out it in the battery light stayed off then came back on once I put it in. Pep Boys tested it again and they said both are good. Could it be the plug that inserts in the back of the Alternator? I have pictures but cant figure out how to really put them up.
The blue wire is what makes the bulb in the dash light up. There is a black wire from the alternator to the battery and a black wire to the battery.
See 2004 Repair Manual 8W-20-2.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 PM
N36736's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: Battery Light comes on when I accelerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ala_xfire View Post
+1 to that ( sorry Woody )
The best check is to measure the battery voltage with the engine off, should be 12v or a bit better.
Start the engine, voltage should be 14.3-14.8 volts, if not, alternator is not putting out.
This test was very helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No speedometer, No odometer, 6 indicator lights on and F1 fuse blown northwest_crossfire Troubleshooting & Technical & Modifications 9 05-30-2016 05:19 PM
Allow me to introduce My self Hoppy New Member Introductions 12 09-25-2015 02:06 PM
Battery Light RiderJC Crossfire SRT6 5 08-04-2015 10:25 AM
HELP, I'm stuck, alarm will not turn off, can't start car. pioneer4x4 Troubleshooting & Technical & Modifications 10 08-01-2015 01:43 PM
Threw Serpentine Belt Tonite SRT6 UNDER PSI Troubleshooting & Technical & Modifications 4 08-01-2015 02:11 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 AM.