Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Standard, LED, and HID Lamp Solutions and Numbers

Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Standard, LED, and HID Lamp Solutions and Numbers

Originally Posted by scott weber
Any one have any good luck removing the sockets where the 2 front marker lights are? I have installed HID's and dont like the yellow light in the headlight assembly next to the HID's. Tried and could not get any leverage to get them to budge.
The turn signal lamps?

1/4 turn counter-clockwise. And when you get them open, grease the oring before you put them back. Makes all the difference in the world.

And this goes double for the eyebrow lamps. Once you get them open, opening them in the future isn't such an awful struggle.

I used Stealth Bulbs, but don't remember the vendor. Both front and back.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info!!! Please sticky! If I read any more information about these resistors (electrical tape is not a fix IMO) I will do this. Especially those front parking lights to match my HIDs.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 AM

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Led-113818.htm

25 ohm/25 watt. For side marker and eyebrows. (194 bulbs)

http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Led-33226.htm

6 ohm/50 watt. For turn signals.

http://wyckoffchryslerparts.com/stealthbulbs.html

You might find them cheaper-but these are warranteed for life. At $28, they should be.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Installing those resistors for the license plate lights involves two things.

1. You have to remove the cover on the inside of the hatch to gain access to the wires on the back side of the socket housings.

2. Each wire coming out of the socket housing needs to have one end of the resistor clipped on to it. These are self tapping connectors. I call them leech connectors because they leech off the line.

Also remember these resistors WILL get hot. You may want to get some kind of metal clip to mount them on, or wrap them in fiberglass to insulate them from the metal hatch and keep them from rattling around.

I'm glad someone found out why they flicker, I never had time to track it down. Regulators for me!!!

Hey MMZ, maybe you can help me.. I tried installing these two resistors but this is what I did..

I couldn't get to the actual wires near the plugs.. god damn that is a small area and there's no way I can get to those..

I traced the wires back to the plug nearest you.. they share a common ground(but i don't know where they connect) and then the brown/yellow and brown/blue wire...

I tapped each end of the resistor to the brown/yellow and brown/blue then I connected both of those to the common (brown) ground wire.. still a bulb indicator out.. any ideas ??

Old 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM

I would LOVE to do this but with all of the burning-out, I don't really want to deal with the same issues I had in my last car! Why aren't there direct replacements!? LEDs are brighter/longer life/less power consumption....OK, why aren't there reliable direct replacements without the need for resistors in-line and all? So many cars, from Mazda, BMW, Infinity, etc have stock LED bulbs. There has got to be better options?

AWESOME guide btw! Thank you for taking the time to make it and keep it up-to-date!!!!

I am foremost interested in doing my 1. eyebrows and 2. license plate

Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
The turn signal lamps?

1/4 turn counter-clockwise. And when you get them open, grease the oring before you put them back. Makes all the difference in the world.

And this goes double for the eyebrow lamps. Once you get them open, opening them in the future isn't such an awful struggle.

I used Stealth Bulbs, but don't remember the vendor. Both front and back.
http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...ALTHBULBS.aspx

Old 06-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Forum Regular

has anyone perfected the LED solution for high beams and fog yet? i see this on ebay Chrysler Crossfire 04 05 06 LED Xenon H7 High Beam Bulb:eBay Motors (item 280356970835 end time Jun-17-09 20:18:34 PDT)
and was hoping this would be a good solution to halogens. are they as bright as halagons? brighter? will they really last 10x longer? i hear LEDs seem to fail a lot. Has anyone tried them? Thoughts?

LED_bulb_center_black.jpg

Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone installed these in comparison to HID?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM

The SMD (Surface Mount Devices) LED's are pretty impressive, but you would need WAY more than 18 of them to equal the lumen output of a halogen, let alone an HID bulb.
I have 18 SMD panel lamps I replaced my dome lights with. They are bright, but nowhere near bright enough to replace the high beam bulbs with. If you ever see the lumen output ratings displayed, let us know. That would be good info to see.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Forum Regular

If you ever see the lumen output ratings displayed, let us know. That would be good info to see.
that's what i was wondering. even in the pic (ebay not above) it shows the LEDs next to the Halos and it looks like the halos are brighter - just the yellow verses the white. i did the HID conversion to my lows but i don't want to do that with highs and fogs. i'm looking for a whiter solution to be closer to the HIDs. all the white bulbs (Silverstar) have such a short lifespan, i really don't want to do that. still looking.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Anyone have a reliable license plate LED replacement and side markers. These are the highest priority locations to replace for me.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by eruby
that's what i was wondering. even in the pic (ebay not above) it shows the LEDs next to the Halos and it looks like the halos are brighter - just the yellow verses the white. i did the HID conversion to my lows but i don't want to do that with highs and fogs. i'm looking for a whiter solution to be closer to the HIDs. all the white bulbs (Silverstar) have such a short lifespan, i really don't want to do that. still looking.
My neighbor has these. They match-I don't know how-his 4300K HID's.

But they are costy.

Halogen / Xenon plasma bulbs - Nokya, Polarg, Raybrig

Raybrig Halogen Xenon Plasma high power Japanese headlight bulbs

Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by drivethruecp
Anyone have a reliable license plate LED replacement and side markers. These are the highest priority locations to replace for me.
For sidemarkers and dome lights-these work fine. Very white and cheap. Have them in all my vehicles.

~10x 194 168 2825 White LED Wedge Side Car Lights Bulbs:eBay Motors (item 180359847284 end time Jun-20-09 12:03:26 PDT)

These are much brighter-nice for the front parking(eyebrow) lights.-

~2x 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb:eBay Motors (item 180359900662 end time Jun-20-09 14:33:02 PDT)

Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM

For sidemarkers and dome lights-these work fine. Very white and cheap. Have them in all my vehicles.

~10x 194 168 2825 White LED Wedge Side Car Lights Bulbs:eBay Motors (item 180359847284 end time Jun-20-09 12:03:26 PDT)

~2x 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb:eBay Motors (item 180359900662 end time Jun-20-09 14:33:02 PDT)

Thanks!!!!! How long have you had them in your cars? Any trouble/blow-outs? Do they have them for our license plates?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 AM

Thanks!!!!! How long have you had them in your cars? Any trouble/blow-outs? Do they have them for our license plates?
About 1 year.

No trouble. One was bad in the box. Seller replaced-fast. All need "Load Equalizers". $4-$7. Each. This is what makes the LED swap pricey! The LED's are pretty cheap.

Yes. The owners manual says "168". You would have to read descriptions. Crossfirefrank has them-ask?

Great price for load equalizers:

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

Last edited by maxcichon; 06-23-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM

About 1 year.

No trouble. One was bad in the box. Seller replaced-fast. All need "Load Equalizers". $4-$7. Each. This is what makes the LED swap pricey! The LED's are pretty cheap.

Yes. The owners manual says "168". You would have to read descriptions. Crossfirefrank has them-ask?

Great price for load equalizers:

LED Flashers Blinkers Resistors Load Equalizers for Turn Signal Replacement Bulbs Rapid Flashing Fix
Any chance of an awesome DIY guide? I couldn't for the "light" of me figure out how to install those things! (The equalizers!!)

Old 06-23-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by nox1s
Any chance of an awesome DIY guide? I couldn't for the "light" of me figure out how to install those things! (The equalizers!!)
It's as easy as it gets! If you buy a load resistor with the blue Scotch-Lok connectors on the ends. One channel goes all of the way through-this is for the OEM wire that feeds the bulb connector, and one channel only goes 1/2 way through. This is for the stub end of the wire on the resistor.

These are referred to as "Insulation Displacement" connectors. The metal "W" in the center, when pushed/mashed down with a pliers, slices (displaces) the insulation on the wires just enough to touch the conductor inside. It does this to both wires at the same time-and: Viola! a circuit is made. The hinged plastic cover swings over and snaps closed to keep it together.

Put one of these contraptions on each of the 2 wires feeding the bulb socket, use a couple of tiewraps to anchor the resistor away from anything plastic, and that's it. They get warm, but they meet some MIL-spec for maximum jacket temp (130 Deg F?) so they won't damage any other wires, but they will mess up plastics. Like lenses.

Last edited by maxcichon; 06-23-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM

I know that Mercedes and several other manufacturers use HID Xenon in the high-beam position. What do they know that we don"t?

Rich

Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 PM

Do you need the equalizers with this option?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Do you need the equalizers with this option?
Sorry pal, you always need load resistors for any lamp you replace that is monitored by the "Bulb Out" monitor.

Quick Reply: Standard, LED, and HID Lamp Solutions and Numbers