Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

My latest mod - Flashing Brake Lights

Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My latest mod - Flashing Brake Lights

Long story short - Been hit from the rear twice by distracted drivers while stopped to make a left turn. To make my baby a little more visible I ordered these brake lights from autolumination.com. Check out the video here. YouTube - Chrysler 300

They pulse or flash 10 time per sec when you initially hit the brakes and then become steady. They are much brighter than the stock bulbs and I've noticed improved attention through by rear view mirror. Not cheap but much cheaper than a new rear end or the possible loss of my car. I'll take a video later tonight and post it. Let me know what you think.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ronideas:
MAYAman (04-22-2024), Vonslinger (08-27-2020)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My latest mod - Flashing Brake Lights

Hmmm...I like it.....a lot. Between my wife & I, our cars have been rear ended six times over the years. I drive to & from work every day in heavy traffic on I95 in southern CT. The absolute most common type of accident I see is multi-car chain reactions from people following too close and not paying attention. I've seen the usual eating, drinking, reading paper maps, texting, cell phone chats, rooting around for something on the floor or in the purse, lighting a cigarette and playing with the radio. The best one's I've seen recently were a bimbo using an eyeliner pencil at 65 mph and her competition which was a 50-ish woman using an eyelash curler at 65 mph. But the absolute Darin Award nominee for me this year was a woman in a Suburban who drove straight into the rear of a tractor trailer carrying a load of steel on I95 south. I didn't see the actual impact, only the aftermath. According to local news coverage afterward, I found out the dumb biotch died. Not surprised, the Suburban was destroyed. What if that had been me in my Crossfire?

Meanwhile, neither my wife nor I have ever rear ended another car. I find it hard to miss the big metal things in front of me with red lights all over the place.

So where and how much? I don't give a crap if it annoys people. If it gives the idiots a few more seconds of reaction time it could literally save your life.

The following users liked this post:
MAYAman (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive got a flashing 3rd brake light on mine. I like yours but would suggest checking your motorvehicle codes as strobe lights are not allowed in most states. To bad that things that will save you will also get you screwed

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

3rd brake light is a good idea. Trucking industry is doing that. No one I know is doing the stop lights, only the 3rd brake light. Motorcycles use this technology just not sure it helps. More confusing to me. I like the really bright brakes lights, and more of them...the new leds brakes lights on the new cars, like the caddy, are bright...get's your attn...

Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 AM

Please send a link to where you found them..... I went to autoilumination and could'nt find them

MAYAman (04-22-2024)
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Here's a print of the page at autolumination's website. I have driven with them all over Connecticut and Mass behind state and local police without issue. Only people that stop me are the ones that pull up and want to know where to get them.

I can tell you that people don't tail gate me any more and that's all I want.

MAYAman (04-22-2024)
Old 04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Forum Regular

I'm a bit slooooow. So, if you use their LED bulbs is it a just a direct plug-in replacement for the OEM filament bulbs. Do their braker bulbs still need a set of modules to work with or are the modules only needed for existing OEM LED's like the high mounted stop lights?

Aww crap, just post the parts list for the two brake lights and the 3rd high mounted brake light for the dummies like me.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate flashing brake lights. They are annoying as hell. My bright lights have an auto function that is tripped by flashing brake lights.

Maybe yours are not as bad so those that stay flashing but hopefully I will not find out.

Last edited by Valk; 04-29-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
I hate flashing brake lights. They are annoying as hell. My bright lights have an auto function that is tripped by flashing brake lights.

Maybe yours are not as bad so those that stay flashing but hopefully I will not find out.
So they perform their intended function. Excellent.

Last edited by Valk; 04-29-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM

The bulbs are plug & play. Yes, they are attention getting... Which is the point when you step on THE BRAKES! I hope that you never have to experience the horror of watching a distracted driver take you out with no chance of preventing it. But if you happen to be stopped at a light and the car behind just keeps coming...Try tapping on the brakes real fast to get thier attention.

MAYAman (04-22-2024)
Old 05-07-2011, 06:43 AM

Do the bulbs trigger the "Light out" icon on the dash?

MAYAman (04-22-2024)
Old 05-07-2011, 03:09 PM

cant seem to find a link that goes to these lights

Old 05-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by green-ghost
cant seem to find a link that goes to these lights
Go here:

1157 1156 Autolumination.com leds (Automotive Replacement Light Bulbs, Headlights, Foglights & Lamps)

And it's about 1/3 down the page.

MAYAman (04-22-2024)
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by VIPER0076
Do the bulbs trigger the "Light out" icon on the dash?

Yes, you will need to buy the resistors to compensate for the voltage difference or a piece of black electrical tape. Tape is quicker and easier.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Electrical tape ?????? please explain. Never mind..... I figured it out. LOL

Last edited by VIPER0076; 05-11-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Smile Re: My latest mod - Flashing Brake Lights

OK, lets fast forward to 2015 from 2011 postings regarding the flashing 3rd brake light, (centre high mount stop lamps (CHMSL). The modules are all over the internet. I have noticed that the Hyundai Sonata with a flashing 3rd brake light in recent months while driving on the expressway. It makes me hit my brake much faster. I want one for the CF. Drivers seem to tailgate when I'm driving the CF in comparison to driving my other vehicles. Not sure why. Here are 2 links for such a mod;

Blinking Smart Stop - Flashing Brake Light

and also

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...Specifications

here is a uTube address:

When I called Hyundai parts and inquired about the feature, the parts guy said it was an option. Whether that is accurate, who knows. The Hyundai girls at the auto show were clueless regarding the brake feature in the Sonata.

I have also read pros and cons about the flashing 3rd lights but frankly, the thought of being rear ended in a CF is enough to consider the module. Not sure if state laws mandate a steady burning CHMSL but if available on a Sonata, I would assume that they are legal. If anyone was any thoughts or experience with this, let us know, thanks.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this on my motorcycle for years. You gotta wake up the Goober on his cell phone behind you. Good idea for the XF!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Thanks for your response. I have read that many motorcycles have this feature. I can't tell you how the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when these drivers come racing up to the back of the CF. Since the vehicle profile is low to the ground and the mirrors small, like looking through a telescope, having a Cadillac Escalade come up on you from behind is unsettling. As soon as the weather breaks, I'm gonna install it myself or have someone else install it but I am for sure gonna add this for safety for the CF. Thanks again for responding.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Anybody used the Superbright strobe kit, cost $5? Looks like that one might work without resistors etc.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:01 PM

Thanks for your response jimmier. I just ordered the $5.00 part from https://www.superbrightleds.com Cost is just under $8.00 with shipping.
As I understand, the brightness of the 3rd brake light is not enhanced, the CHMSL brake light blinks prior to a steady burn. I have read that enhanced lights (brighter) that can be purchased aftermarket, may be illegal. When I have come to abrupt stops on the highway, and view traffic approaching from behind, I sometimes pump the brake to flash the brake lights if I don't think the driver is slowing down fast enough. I won't know how the addition of the flashing brake light will be driving with the CF until the weather breaks in April. If drivers fall back with the flashing brake light, I'll know it's successful. It seems that other drivers do not respect small cars especially sporty cars, or at least this is my experience. I'm always very polite changing lanes, never intending to **** anyone off making abrupt lane changes. Not worth it. A friend with a Porsche (over 10 years driving it) claims the same typo of driving respect. He says he has had bizarre experiences with drivers for no apparent reason.

Quick Reply: My latest mod - Flashing Brake Lights