Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Engine turned dash

Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine turned dash

I don’t know if anyone on this forum is old enough to remember when ‘engine turning‘ was popular? I think it would look great in a Crossfire. Anyone know who does this kind of work?

Rich

busbycoupeinstruments3hj.jpg

Last edited by Rich W; 06-01-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Engine turned dash

I've never seen it done. But it would look pretty cool! It would add a nice retro look to the dash.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM

My thought exactly!

Rich

Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 557 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich W
I don’t know if anyone on this forum is old enough to remember when ‘engine turning‘ was popular? I think it would look great in a Crossfire. Anyone know who does this kind of work?

Rich

When I was an apprentice in the tool room we used to do this, as I remember it we used a copper rod in the drill press, the end of which we smeared with lapping compound and with the drill running we made overlapping patterns of the end on the part we were decorating. Getting the spacing even is tricky, as is using the correct grade of compound for the material being finished and using a constant pressure and time at each spot.
Check it out on the web, this was fifty years ago and a bit foggy in the memory.
Edit, I see that wooden dowels are used instead of the copper rod we used, you can see that the center of the swirl is just about erased by the adjacent swirls, if you can see the center too much the pattern is not so good.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-01-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know if you find someone, I'll gladly turn in my carbon fiber. I do remember those dashes from back in the 60's. I read something about how they are done. I'll see if I can find the article. I would imagine the aluminum dash kit and a dremel tool would do the trick. And yes a steady hand and a very, very long weekend.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a drill press or better yet, a mill. The surfaces would have to be pretty flat, unless your are REALLY good.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd buy it, I love anything engine turned.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:38 PM

Actually, I've seen a few R170 SLKs with an "engine turned dash". One of my coworkers at work has one (back in Minnesota.) I can ask about it when I'm back there. I figure if they made it for the SLK, it could probably end up working on the XF.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Actually, I've seen a few R170 SLKs with an "engine turned dash". One of my coworkers at work has one (back in Minnesota.) I can ask about it when I'm back there. I figure if they made it for the SLK, it could probably end up working on the XF.
That would be great. I think there would be a lot of interest in this.

Last edited by Rich W; 06-02-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 557 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich W
That would be great. I think there would be a lot of interest in this.

The fabricated aluminum intake manifolds for the SRT-6 would look nice with this finish. The fascia inside the car would have to have to be remade in aluminum for the correct effect as you cannot get the effect unless you have polished metal to start. Tacky stick on appliqués (no pun intended) would not be to my taste though, I will stick with the painted plastic.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The fabricated aluminum intake manifolds for the SRT-6 would look nice with this finish. The fascia inside the car would have to have to be remade in aluminum for the correct effect as you cannot get the effect unless you have polished metal to start. Tacky stick on appliqués (no pun intended) would not be to my taste though, I will stick with the painted plastic.
As 180 said, very difficult to replicate in our cars, but the look would be second to NONE. I have seen the cheap fake wood and CF dash kits that some people have and it is not for me LOL

I have seen some painted interiors that look good as well.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Default similar in feel to engine-turning...

I looked high and low and could not find anything for the engine-turned effect. I, too, think it would look fab. I am a watchmaker and what American's call engine-turning is referred to as perlage in the Swiss watch industry. I decided to brighten up my coupe interior with a silver carbon fiber overlay as a compromise. Granted, it is not engine-turning, but to be honest it has the same general "wow" effect when a passenger drops in the car. Being an overlay I was concerned that it would have a real peel and stick look that would cheapen the interior, but the silver carbon fiber atop the acres of satin silver plastics blends very nicely as if it weren't installed by an 18 year-old in his pimped-out Honda Civic...LOL. Here's a before and after pic of the trim in my 04 alabaster Coupe.

Chris

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Default Re: similar in feel to engine-turning...

CadetGray:

That does look fantastic, do you have any closer pictures to really show off the finish and quality? Also, where did you buy and if you don't mind me asking, how much and was install terrrible or good adhesive on backing??

Thanks in advnace, again, looks great.

John

Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Forum Regular

Couldn't find anything on how to get an aluminum version of the center console, which you would need to have a piece or pieces to turn.

Did find this ad for a roll of machine-turned vinyl decal which could be applied to curved surfaces. If you had a steady hand or good pattern you could trim out the holes for the switches.

If vinyl decal worked for "wood trim" back in the day, it should work for this application. At least if you didn't like the appearance you could simply peel it off later.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know that our dash layout really lends itself to this finish. I have to say though, I love the engine turned dash on the current Spyker cars. Then again, I love everything about these cars!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Default Re: similar in feel to engine-turning...

Thank you, John.

Per your request, here are some more pics. Hopefully they will give you an idea of the fit and finish of the overlay. I tried to take a close up of the door overlay so you can see that the material is actually woven silver carbon fiber material. I know a lot of folks are not fond of the peel and stick products and have gone the route of sending their dash pieces off for custom carbon fiber finishing. Indeed with that process you eliminate the unfinished edge issue, but what I don't like about that approach is the fact that it is only a printed graphic film transfer that is being applied to the plastic and not authentic carbon fiber fabric. I guess it depends on what compromise bugs you the most...LOL.

If I recall, my kit was in the mid-$200 range, but since I installed it last year, I will have to find the name of the vendor and actual price for you. Hopefully, I still have that email somewhere.

The install was pretty easy after the first piece and the 3M backing is unbelievable...far stronger than the double-sided trim tape by Avery that one can purchase at automotive parts stores. I think the stuff is the same material that the manufacturers use.

Hope this helps,
Chris
[IMG]
[/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

There is someone who makes an aluminum dash kit, I've seen it. I'll do some research. I went with black Carbon Fiber so it would match the trim ring on my new stereo. If I can find that aluminun kit and find someone tp turn it I'd switch it in a minute, I'll paint the trim ring on the radio. Mike that Spyker dash is a work of art!
Pat

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
There is someone who makes an aluminum dash kit, I've seen it. I'll do some research. I went with black Carbon Fiber so it would match the trim ring on my new stereo. If I can find that aluminun kit and find someone tp turn it I'd switch it in a minute, I'll paint the trim ring on the radio. Mike that Spyker dash is a work of art!
Pat
I know who makes the aluminum dash kit and will be contacting them to see if they can offer it with 'engine turning'. If not I may get a set and see if I can find someone to do it on the existing panels. Will post when I know more.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 AM

Chris, more info requested, I think this may be a future mod, it does look very good and the edges are barely noticeable with the silver underneath...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Rich - Let me know what you find up. I was tied up with our CICCI meeting last night and didn't get a chance to check on it.
Thanks - Pat

Quick Reply: Engine turned dash