Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Anyone Paint Their Own Console? (Silver Pieces)

Old 01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Paint Their Own Console? (Silver Pieces)

Hey all. I have seen a number of threads where people have had their console pieces painted or sent to get the hydro graphics but no DIY jobs. Has anyone done it themselves and if so did you run into any issues? Also supplies used?

I have found a bunch of other people that have done it on other forums/cars with no issues so I think I am all set. Just wanted to make sure there were no big problems with doing this. I unscrewed the top of the console storage last night and sanded it down, was fairly easy. Will paint it up tonight as my test piece and work on the rest over the weekend.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Paint Their Own Console? (Silver Pieces)

Let us know how it turned out. I'm interested in doing the same thing when ever I get the chance. what kind of paint are you using, and are you putting down a primer coat first?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I still have to buy a black lighter to match other than that it is done... I think

Edit: Got it!

Last edited by Beaner; 10-30-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Beaner.... Any reason you didn't paint the shift **** and lighter black? Should be pretty simple to do.

Ohhhh...... By the way, great job. How hard was it to find all of the switches/*****?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Beaner.... Any reason you didn't paint the shift **** and lighter black? Should be pretty simple to do.
Shift **** would probably get scratched and ware out fast and the lighter I am just going to buy a new one for a buck or two from walmart that way I still have the origional lighter incase I decide to get another crossfire and might not come with one! I will put it with the other origional parts I have in a box

Edit: Never used the walmart one. Found a black crossfire one

Last edited by Beaner; 10-30-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beaner that looks really nice that color is sweet... looks like ox blood?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Forum Regular

I did mine couple weeks ago, has been ugly and not 100% satisfied with the job but will take some pics this weekend. I sanded everything down and got slack on the last few pieces thinking it would be ok.... well I can still see the spots where I didn't get rid of all the silver down to the black plastic. I like the black a lot more though, I just have to get the switches and dials and fix a couple of the sections i'm not happy with.

Do you have a list of all the parts you had to pick up do get the full package beaner? I know it takes a few to get all the buttons.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaner
Shift **** would probably get scratched and ware out fast and the lighter I am just going to buy a new one for a buck or two from walmart that way I still have the origional lighter incase I decide to get another crossfire and might not come with one! I will put it with the other origional parts I have in a box
I got a black one for if you trade me for the silver one.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular

ill be the the 3rd to ask. where do we find the switches, buttons, and dials in black???????? very interested in doing this.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newCrossfire
ill be the the 3rd to ask. where do we find the switches, buttons, and dials in black???????? very interested in doing this.
Got to piece them together from different MB models with black console. I think the SLK gets the windows and heated seats but you need like a trunk button from a SL for the spoiler etc. The AC controls is a whole unit from the SLK also if I'm not mistaken but you have to widen the plastic for the bigger dials. I just like to go to the MB dealer with the numbers and everything ready or they start asking too many questions :P

Couple threads on it using search ( think its swapping switches and dials)

Last edited by Airscape; 01-22-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Forum Regular

_____________________thx!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good Beaner, Glad you got the switches done

Old 01-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Forum Regular

Here is mine. I need to get switches and controls to finish it off. All in all not thaaaat huge of a job and that's for a complete noob (I did HU and amp mod at same time also)

Looks pretty textured, but feels smooth. Way different than I thought it was going to look but kind of a nice side effect of not knowing what I was doing.

And in the right light and angle you can see my poor workmanship It't not too noticeable but I know its there so it bothers me.

I ran out of paint before i could hit the stereo surround but on my next round I will be redoing the airbag/lighter section and getting the rest of the silver trim out of there (speaker surrounds etc)

Last edited by Airscape; 01-23-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM

Here is another pic of mine

Old 01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Airscape
Hey all. I have seen a number of threads where people have had their console pieces painted or sent to get the hydro graphics but no DIY jobs. Has anyone done it themselves and if so did you run into any issues? Also supplies used?

I have found a bunch of other people that have done it on other forums/cars with no issues so I think I am all set. Just wanted to make sure there were no big problems with doing this. I unscrewed the top of the console storage last night and sanded it down, was fairly easy. Will paint it up tonight as my test piece and work on the rest over the weekend.

Thanks.
I hope your wet sanding and using plastic primer first.. Squirrel Crusher

Old 06-30-2010, 04:18 PM

Wow, really nice job...
Was it tough to remove all the pieces?
And are you going to paint the ***** too?
Thanks
Droid

Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Forum Regular

Year later, still some more work to do but it's holding up well. Will post up issues and part numbers soon for anyone that is thinking about doing it

Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 AM

I see someone finally found some black buttons. Mind me asking how many different vehicles you had to grab from to get them all?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rcompart
I see someone finally found some black buttons. Mind me asking how many different vehicles you had to grab from to get them all?
Hunted around on the bay to get everything. 3 different SLKs and a c class in all though. Only cost about 175$ with shipping for everything. Waited for good deals as I didn't want to end up with expensive parts I couldn't use. Still got some plans and some decisions to make but happy with the looks.

Last edited by Airscape; 02-13-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Airscape
Hunted around on the bay to get everything. 3 different SLKs and a c class in all though. Only cost about 175$ with shipping for everything. Waited for good deals as I didn't want to end up with expensive parts I couldn't use. Still got some plans and some decisions to make but happy with the looks.
I did the same thing hunting at the bay. I know I ended up getting the climate from one car, 5 of the switches from another. The switches came with an ACR button and that looked just as at home as the headlight washer button so I broke down and bought a single switch from a guy and paid through the nose for it. Couldn't even tell you what it came from but it was worth it after looking down and not seeing that stupid ACR button. The darn window switches were also impossible to find back when I put my set together so I ended up getting those from an E and I think I got the trunk button from an ML but it's been so long I can't remember. Perhaps I got the trunk from the E and the window switches from the ML. Whatever it was, the switch was different but I just popped off the covers and used those over the regular switches. Would have been a PITA if I tried this with my roadster as I looked forever and never did find a suitable button for the top switch. I had a coupe at the time though so it didn't matter.

It definitely looks sharp and glad you finally got it all put together.

Quick Reply: Anyone Paint Their Own Console? (Silver Pieces)