Interior Any questions or information related to interior go in here.

Clicking valve under the glove compartment

Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking valve under the glove compartment

I have a clicking sound under the glove compartment. Looks like there's some kind of valve (see attached pictures). Several times a day it starts clicking On and Off like crazy, 3 - 5 times per second, or just a few times. It does it totally random. As if there's a some kind of loose connection that supplies the power to this electrical valve.

Larger pictures are attached below...

Looks like one side of the green hose connected to the white box mounted above (see another attached picture).

Does anyone has this problem?
Anyone knows anything about it?
Any way to check the source, where it suppose to be connected to?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20120210_171041.jpg (1.40 MB, 199 views)
IMG_20120210_171104.jpg (1.31 MB, 203 views)
IMG_20120210_171049.jpg (1.07 MB, 249 views)
IMG_20120210_171115.jpg (1.27 MB, 189 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Clicking valve under the glove compartment

Latch the white box closed and see if the problem goes away.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by arejohn
Oh, ****... I didn't even noticed that it's unlocked. Thanks, will do that.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is that a vacuum reservoir?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by NetChain
I have a clicking sound under the glove compartment. Looks like there's some kind of valve (see attached pictures). Several times a day it starts clicking On and Off like crazy, 3 - 5 times per second, or just a few times. It does it totally random. As if there's a some kind of loose connection that supplies the power to this electrical valve.

Larger pictures are attached below...

Looks like one side of the green hose connected to the white box mounted above (see another attached picture).

Does anyone has this problem?
Anyone knows anything about it?
Any way to check the source, where it suppose to be connected to?
Mine also clicks like crazy, until I turn the fan switch on to any speed. The clicking immediately goes away. When it does it next time, turn the fan on any position. If it goes away, it has something to do with the A/C/Heat system.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM

Oh, ****... I didn't even noticed that it's unlocked. Thanks, will do that.
Originally Posted by arejohn
The box is completely sealed and there not even a tab behind the plastic lock (although it looks like there's one).

So, that's not the problem. Are there any other suggestions?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Mine also clicks like crazy, until I turn the fan switch on to any speed. The clicking immediately goes away. When it does it next time, turn the fan on any position. If it goes away, it has something to do with the A/C/Heat system.
I also noticed that it may have something to do with the Fan/AC/Heating system, but it never really goes away on demand, meaning the clicking will stop eventually, but it will stop on it's own, not because I switched something, but then it will start again, sometimes a few minutes or a few hours later, again - on its own.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

First off, I have no clue what it is. Try this, when clicking, adjust the temperature control of the driver side. If no difference, adjust the temperature of the passenger side. Possibly a blend door control?

James

PS The reasoning behind this is that I have replaced dozens of blend door motors on Ford products, Explorer and Escape. When the blend door motor goes bad, the temperature in the cabin won't change and the motor keeps running causing it to click just as you explained. On the Ford motor, you are actually hearing two plastic gears slipping because they are worn or stripped.

Last edited by James1549; 02-26-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Possibly this could be for the 'recirculate' door. When the valve is clicking, cycle off or on the recycle button to see if it effects the clicking.

Remove the valve from the heater case. See if it attached to a shaft or door. Disconnect and try the door or shaft to see if it can be rotated freely, no binding. If free and no binding, I would say you may need a new valve. Check out item #5 in this diagram:

Attached Images
valve.jpg (77.5 KB, 615 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 AM

Thanks James for thorough response.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Does anyone know of a a seller (other than dealerships) that carries this part? I can't seem to find it on the interwebs, and am beginning to feel that I'm going to have to subject myself to dealership rates.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by xodus52
Does anyone know of a a seller (other than dealerships) that carries this part? I can't seem to find it on the interwebs, and am beginning to feel that I'm going to have to subject myself to dealership rates.
Are you sure it's really this part that is at fault? Because what I see is that it's just a valve, that controlled electronically, meaning it receives the signal to turn it on or off from another source. It's that source that sends the incorrect signals, forcing it to turn on and off several times per second or so. I'm sure the source of the electrical signal is coming from the central computer, which would made that decision based on other sensors and switches.

It's unlikely that those sensors are at fault (although it's possible), but what I think is more likely is that the switching element that controls the valve is probably the problem. It could be either a relay or a semiconductor type of switch, like a transistor or such. The computer doesn't usually controls valves and other devices directly, because they would require more current than the computer produces at its output. Typically there are lots of relays and other types of electronic switches which receives signals from the computer to control all lights, motors, valves, other relays, etc.

Those electronic switches are dealing with higher electrical current and have more chances to fail overtime, than a temperature sensor or whatever else maybe involved in that circuit.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

That part has been clicking for 4 years for me, I never did anything. So far its clicking like every six months then goes away. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

That clicking behind the glove box has been doing that off and on for as long as I have owned the car. To silence it, I just turn the fan switch on, it immediately stops clicking. It does it maybe once every two weeks and since I run the fan a lot anyway, it never bothered me any to make me bring it in (mine is still under warranty). Hope you can silence it by turning on the fan!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you try removing the power connection harness, check the pins, spray w/ electrical contact spray, reattach w/ good force to ensure a solid connection? "clicking On and Off like crazy" doesn't seem normal to me.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

There was recently a thread about the vacuum line to the blend door being compromised by battery acid under the battery tray. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at that too.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
There was recently a thread about the vacuum line to the blend door being compromised by battery acid under the battery tray. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at that too.
^^^ Mine had that problem! ^^^

Take the battery out, and the tray it sits on, and inspect underneath!!!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving an old thread, I am, because it applies most to what is wrong: I tried to find the recirculate door today by taking the glove box out, but no success. Can I get to it through the cowl area? I was going to remove that and the windshield wipers tomorrow before it gets cold! Also, the recirculate light used to come on when the A/C was on, and at all times. Doesn't even come on unless I push the button.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:22 PM

I had the same noise in my 05 coupe. The problem was actually a bad HVAC control unit - picked up a new/used one on eBay on it resolved the mysterious clicking / fan speed/ anything else that was going wrong.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what that item looks like?

Quick Reply: Clicking valve under the glove compartment