New England Forum Serving CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT

Gas-v-crude prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas-v-crude prices

When crude prices were about $99/barrel on way up gas was $3.10/gal. Crude prices on way down and at $99/barrel and the Gas price is $3.87. $0.77 per gal difference Exxon making record profits....and who gets the tax breaks!

Last edited by Nightrider; 11-14-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gas-v-crude prices

Originally Posted by Nightrider
When crude prices were about $99/barrel on way up gas was $3.10/gal. Crude prices on way down and at $99/barrel and the Gas price is $3.87. $0.77 per gal difference Exxon making record profits....and who gets the tax breaks!
Vote with your wallet in November

Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas is $4.29 a gallon down here. Oil is near $90. Blaming it on hurricane that did little damage to the rifineries so its total bs............

Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Were at 3.43 for regular unleaded, and our pipeline come from tx.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 AM

I love it when a hurricane comes....the price goes up a week before the hurricane hits...then they blame the price gouge (errrr....jump) on expected loss...yet it takes a month to drop back down. These giant investment/mortgage banks, insurance companies and oil companies need tax breaks to feed their families.

Why is Georgia gouging so high when others are dropping?

for info on US & canada prices statename)gasprices.com
example rhodeislandgasprices.com

Last edited by Nightrider; 11-14-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM

I paid 3.29 last friday and 3.59 today for regular in my work car. Same station.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6vert
Gas is $4.29 a gallon down here. Oil is near $90. Blaming it on hurricane that did little damage to the rifineries so its total bs............
Not really. They loss several oil platforms in the gulf and it takes weeks to restart the refineries. That is if the electrical service did not get knocked out.

Don't expect to see the price of gas fall as fast as the price of oil. The refineries actually were hurting when the price of oil was so high. They are going to keep the price of gas up to recoup.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nightrider
Why is Georgia gouging so high when others are dropping?
What are you talking about? The price of gas in Georgia is steadily below the national adverage. Also notice how when oil surged to $150, the price of gas did not surge at the same proportion.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
I paid 3.29 last friday and 3.59 today for regular in my work car. Same station.
It is $4.15/gallon for 87 octane here in WV

Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM

True on the surge of crude...BUT...dealers were taking economic hits hits on their own. Also, yes Ike did alot of damage that still awaits repair Gustav did little damage. The price skyrockets a week before hurricanes hit and drop like a feather the day after. For crying out loud, when New York & Southern New England had a few hour black out in early Aug 2001 the price jumped from 1.30 to 1.90 instanttly . and stayed up lng after power was back on. Seems like these starving execs raise prices til people scream then lower them alittle each Memorial Day. If oil pricescould talk it would say "I'll go down on you and make you feel good then come back up and make you scream"

Last edited by Nightrider; 09-16-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM

I would have to disagree with you on the price going up a week before the huricane. Around here, the prices didn't go up until Friday when it looked like Ike could do a lot of damage to the refineries.

The price of oil and gas is economics 101, supply and demand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with what I pay when I fill up. But, I'm an oil investor and have a pretty good insight of what's behind the prices. Are the oil companies making big profits, yes. But if you hope to have gas by the year 2020, you better hope they make big profits to reinvest into finding new reserves. Especially when laws here restrict their offshore drilling and force them to go into unfriendly countries.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
What are you talking about? The price of gas in Georgia is steadily below the national adverage. Also notice how when oil surged to $150, the price of gas did not surge at the same proportion.
Not anymore. National avg $3.84, in Ga its' $4.18 avg.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Forum Regular

Not really. They loss several oil platforms in the gulf and it takes weeks to restart the refineries. That is if the electrical service did not get knocked out.

Don't expect to see the price of gas fall as fast as the price of oil. The refineries actually were hurting when the price of oil was so high. They are going to keep the price of gas up to recoup.

....It looks like we've dodged another bullet,'' said Peter Beutel, president of energy consultant Cameron Hanover Inc. in New Canaan, Connecticut. ....The refineries in the Houston area seem to have come out of the storm remarkably intact.
''

Old 09-16-2008, 01:59 PM

....It looks like we've dodged another bullet,'' said Peter Beutel, president of energy consultant Cameron Hanover Inc. in New Canaan, Connecticut. ....The refineries in the Houston area seem to have come out of the storm remarkably intact.
''
True. But you just don't flip a switch to start a refinery back up. There are certain steps that have to be followed that take time...usually at least a week. That is assuming they have electrical service.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Not anymore. National avg $3.84, in Ga its' $4.18 avg.
I don't know the reason for the sudden spike when GA has consistantly been below the national adverage. It could be a formula change (required by the feds) or a distribution interuption.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Price to recoup, Are u sniffing oil fumes? Read Exxon's quarterly reports!!!!!! How about giving the American people time to recoup from being robbed!!!! Oil supply and demands? The Petroleum Institute has stated there are more oil reserves than previously stated, large new Saudi oil finds, Shale oil, Canadian Sand oil, etc.

I do agree that the regulations, litigation etc needs a major major overhaul and companies that drill in an environmentally responsible manner should not be unrealistically impeded.

Week ahead of time..in New England prices rose .12/gal befire Gustav trickled back then rose .15/before Ike and still up. These increases were when the storms were only half way across the Atlantic. Accordinding to CBS News New England only gets <10% of its oil from the Gulf. No excuses for hikes before any damage is done...no excuses but outright GREED!!!!!!!!!!! Especially by speculators!!!!!!!!!

I would have to disagree with you on the price going up a week before the huricane. Around here, the prices didn't go up until Friday when it looked like Ike could do a lot of damage to the refineries.

WHEN IT LOOKED LIKE IKE could do .... But it didn't!!!! So the public was screwed by what it looked like might happen. When it didn't happen did the price return by an equal amount BELOW the selling price. How stupid do you think we are? Now we are bailing out AIG as well as Bear Stearns and Fannie Freddie on top of this *&^&^*

Last edited by Nightrider; 09-16-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Well, I live in Austin.... and the gas prices at the station I normally go to were 3.82 for 93 octane for the week before Ike, and 3 days after ike, the price jumped up to 3.79 there is a very large area still without power in and around houston, there was no damage here, so I feel lucky overall...

Seannon

Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 PM

Did anyone watch CSPAN all day and here both sides point the finger back and forth about the energy bill that is being brought up for vote. It was like bill 8869 or something like that. The dems want offshore drilling and to release 10% of the nations reserves. The repubs are against it because they say it's only a short term fix. Can you believe these guys and gals pass our laws and can't even sit next to each other. It's pathetic. What's even more pathetic is a group like the sierra club can buy votes in the senate so we protect a spotted owl and leave your pocket book spotted.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Angry Re: Gas-v-crude prices

Get in line with the vote for me crowd, but don't hold your breath!!
http://gpbnews.blogspot.com/2008/09/...gas-price.html

State officials investigate gas price gouging

State officials are beginning to investigate complaints of price gouging at numerous gas stations across Georgia. This comes in the wake of Hurricane Ike’s trek through the Gulf and Texas over the weekend.

Through late this morning, the Governor’s Office of Consumer Affairs says they had received 80 complaints of unreasonable spikes in prices since 7pm Friday. The calls have come in from all parts of the state, and about different companies’ stations.

Early Friday night, the Governor issued an executive order against price gouging. Its aim is to make sure the prices people are paying are in-line with what retailers pay. Over the weekend some drivers around the state saw spikes of over $5.00 a gallon at certain stations, along with some stations running out of gas.

Tennessee investigating gas price gouging - Memphis Business Journal:

State vows to fight gas gouging

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/flor...ry/687681.html

Subpoenas Issued in Gas Price Gouging InvestigationSep 14, 2008 ... Subpoenas Issued in Gas Price Gouging Investigation · Leon County Gas Stations Under Investigation for Price Gouging ...
www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/28369309.html

Should be good for Saturday Night Live or Jay Leno or, or, or
After motorists are raped of Billions, and long drawn out litigation, the "offenders" will be fined a few million and turn to raping the users of heating oil.
The only way to get them to repent and repay is to let them work it off with SHERIFF JOE ARPAIO.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 AM

cruzinquick it sucks no matter which group buys elected officials,,,extreme environmentals or those that pay in cash and sex. I love the USA have defended the US but am fed up with those in Gov't that are for sale.

The same gouging investigations are going on in Conn and several other states. In CT they bought gas at pre-spike then sold for from .17 to .45 latter. There's alot of scum in this world. Especially speculators.

Norwichbulletin.com

According to Connecticut AAA, the average price for a gallon of unleaded gas rose from $3.67 on Friday to $3.84 on Monday. That’s a 17-cent-per-gallon increase in a matter of 72 hours, despite the fact that a barrel of crude oil was dropping to near $100 a barrel for the first time in months.

The reason for the sudden spike was attributed to Hurricane Ike that struck the oil-drilling region of the Gulf of Mexico at the end of last week, and the gasoline refinery production region of Texas during the weekend. Ike roared through the Gulf and struck land as a Category 2 Hurricane, with damaging winds and a strong surge that shut down refinery and drilling operations. That region produces about 20 percent of the nation’s oil and gasoline.

But the damage caused by Ike did not seem to warrant such a dramatic increase in the price of gasoline. Nor does it seem reasonable the “potential” for damage from the storm can justify a 10-cent increase from Friday to Saturday before the storm made landfall.

Last edited by Nightrider; 09-17-2008 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Gas-v-crude prices