New Member Introductions Welcome new members !! This is the place to post a new thread and introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself and what model Crossfire you just bought or are looking to buy. Threads created for anything other than introductions are subject to be moved to the appropriate section in the forum for the topic being posted.

New & looking for roadster

Old 10-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New & looking for roadster

I am new to Crossfire's. I would like to know if the car was ever produced in a dark blue such as Chrysler midnite blue. Also, if roadster ever came with a white rag top instead of just black.

I am interested in buying a midnite blue roadster with white rag top.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Default Re: New & looking for roadster

I have a light blue roadster. I've never seen a dark blue model. I've also never seen a white top. I also have a Jeep and had to replace rear liftgate. I went to Chrysler web site and found all the info on paint and acc. I bought my roadster about a year ago at a local cruizin and love it. Only negative is living in upstate NY its time to store it for the winter. I was talking to neighbor about the winter with his Corvette stored. The wharehouse I store my Crossfire I drive by 3 or 4 times a week and I don't know if that is good or bad. I just know I can't wait for April to come.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:17 AM
GTW
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No dark blue roadsters were ever offered and only black tops were sold. There were two blues offered, Aero Blue....a bright metallic and SSB....I beieve sapphire silver blue which is a silverly light blue. There are aftermarket tops now available for the Crossfire in a range of colors. I saw pics of a forum member who put a tan top on the SSB. It looked great.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Currencia
I am new to Crossfire's. I would like to know if the car was ever produced in a dark blue such as Chrysler midnite blue. Also, if roadster ever came with a white rag top instead of just black.

You are out of luck on both counts, no midnight blue, no white top. Are you aware that you are looking at basically a Mercedes Benz? There were only a few colors offered and very few options.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
You are out of luck on both counts, no midnight blue, no white top. Are you aware that you are looking at basically a Mercedes Benz? There were only a few colors offered and very few options.
Yes, I am aware of the then Chrysler/Benz joint operations. The Saturn Sky comes in midnite blue with tan top. I am going to start reading about them. A 4cyl 2.0 L engine does not sound too promising however. Thank you for the information.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

While the Sky is a better choice than the Solstice, they both have a manual top, NO trunk at all and a puny 4 cyl.
They are also very cramped to me.
On a 1-10 scale with the Crossfire at 10 :
Sky : 6
Solstice : 4

One other alternative is to find a clean MB SLK32.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The base engine on the Sky/Solstice is 177HP 2.4L. If you get the Redline/GXP version the engine is a 260HP turbo 2.0 Liter. The 2.0 liter will fly. The trunk is actually smaller than the XF trunk (hard to believe!). I test drove a Solstice GXP 5 speed and the car flat out flys. Very tight cockpit and the top is difficult to open and close (you have to be outside the vehicle to accomplish and a 2nd person is almost required). But what a ride for acceleration and handling.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks, didn't know about the GXP.
Are they rare ?
With both Saturn and Pontiac defunct, are repairs a problem ( like us ) ?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 AM

Don't know about repairs. Don't know how rare they are but around Northern Virginia the GXP/Redline seem to be slightly more common than the XF SRT6. If I wanted a car that was all about the engine I would have bought the Solstice GXP of the Sky Redline. I bought the XF roadster 6 speed because I don't spend my driving time at the redline. I wanted something more comfortable while still fun to drive.

Last edited by 2005 Blue Crossfire; 10-15-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Thanks, didn't know about the GXP.
Are they rare ?
With both Saturn and Pontiac defunct, are repairs a problem ( like us ) ?
Both cars were made by Opel and I think they are still in business parts shouldn't be a problem and a GM dealer and pretty much any local garage can do work on them. Just like Chrysler n MB are no longer connected my local Chrysler dealer is glad to do any work I need on my Crossfire.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If you find a Solstice/Sky carmped, best also try a XF before buying one, I am 5'10" and had to take a sawzall to the rear bulkhead to get comfortable, something the chromed stying bars block in a roadster.

Personally do not care for fours but the one in the S/S is decended from the Quad-4 with improvements and used in A Lot of cars.

One to look for IMNSHO is the '09 Targa Coupe, had many improvements.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a friend with turbo version solstice. He customized his to look like a modern MG. I had a friend with a turbo'd Sky. Dark blue. Beautiful car. Neither will hold a candle to SRT6 though. Fast for what they are I guess. I would buy a coupe if I could find one at the right price, as they are very rare, and can be converted to a v-8 as well.....lol

Old 10-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

. The Saturn Sky comes in midnite blue with tan top.
It's a school-teacher's car.

A Crossfire is a DRIVER'S car.

If you have already done enough homework to know that a Crossfire is an MB with a different body, I'd guess you are not the type to be all that happy with the Sky.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:45 PM

So now we are a cult? I like it. Being a Republican I guess this will be my second cult.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:11 AM

Thank you everyone for your input and help.

The MX-5 comes with a 2.0 L turbo 6 speed manual with overdrive (7 gears forward?) in a midnite blue. And, they are still making the MX-5 today with a new look coming out next year. (Looks slightly more like a Targa)

The Saturn SKY comes in another beautiful blue color with a 5 speed 2.0 l turbo.

The Solstice GXP has the 2.0 l straight 4 aluminum block turbo in midnite blue.

Personally, I would not be interested in the non-turbo 2.4 L aluminum block, in-line 4 as it is underpowered and must sound like an over-revved and over-wound rubber band. Who wants that in a sports car?

For me, the Chrysler Crossfire is out for the color reason alone.

When wanting leather seats and manual tranny, the choices get limited further.

Thanks again for everyone's help who replied. No offense meant by not wanting a Crossfire after the study of it all.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:46 PM

If you are looking for Leather and manual transmission look at Chrysler Crossfire, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3 and Z4, Mercedes SLK320, Mazda Miata, Honda S2000, Audi TT. I am sure there are some others but all these cars seem to be made for a similar purpose (drivers car or sports car) with varying success. For me my top three were the Crossfire, Boxster and Z4. The Crossfire won out due to distinctive looks and lower costs for similar condition.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, the Crossfire came in a beautiful color called Machine Grey. While it's not called "blue" it looks like a dark blue methalic. It's very rare and i'd love to have one. I would check that out if you are looking for a dark blue. I think you'd like it.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Yea, I believe that, in 2006, they did away with Graphite for the Machine Grey.
So you are looking for an 06,07,08 - making it kinda rare but there ARE some out there.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PNA
Guys, the Crossfire came in a beautiful color called Machine Grey. While it's not called "blue" it looks like a dark blue methalic. It's very rare and i'd love to have one. I would check that out if you are looking for a dark blue. I think you'd like it.
A gal here in MI has one. I think the blue silver looks more blue than the Machine gray does. Lighting is everything though.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
A gal here in MI has one. I think the blue silver looks more blue than the Machine gray does. Lighting is everything though.
I have a Saphire Silver Blue and I think its the best color. Takes on silver in high light, blue in lower light and deeper looking in low light. It has a lot of different looks. It doesn't have a dark blue look though. The machine greys in high light look deep metalic blue to me, much closer to the dark blue I think he may be interested in. Anyway, to each his own perception. I origninally wanted the dark grey but I'm really glad I got the SSB. Still love it.

Quick Reply: New & looking for roadster