Other Cars The Crossfire isn't the only car out there. Discuss all the others in here.

LED light installation question

Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED light installation question

I am installing a couple 4 inch cube led lights under the front bumper of my Jeep Cherokee. They seem to flicker a little when they are on with the Jeep running. When I turn the lights on with the Jeep not running the passenger side light does not light at all. The light brackets are solidly mounted to the metal bumper and the system is securely grounded. Also the power wire is securely attached to the battery. Any idea what I am missing?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: LED light installation question

I assume they do this only when the car is running?
AND: "the power wire is securely attached to the battery"? Fuse? Relay? Anything else? Especially a fuse?

Old 05-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by xjken
I am installing a couple 4 inch cube led lights under the front bumper of my Jeep Cherokee. They seem to flicker a little when they are on with the Jeep running. When I turn the lights on with the Jeep not running the passenger side light does not light at all. The light brackets are solidly mounted to the metal bumper and the system is securely grounded. Also the power wire is securely attached to the battery. Any idea what I am missing?

Electrical problems are either easy to solve, or a mess to troubleshoot. I would run a ground wire to the chassis grounding point (you didn't make it clear if you ran a separate ground, the mounting point for the lights might not be a good ground). Also, I do hope you made sure you have a fused hot wire, and not connected directly to the battery. Many a burned up mess evolves when people jury-rig wires to a 550-800 amp battery directly. Finally, if all your connections are of a high reliability (soldered and securely insulated) I would suggest a bad switch or a defective lamp assembly. In closing, many wires in modern cars may have 12v (as a rule they of course vary with battery voltage and system load, and vehicle running or not) that are subsystems or signal voltages associated with the various systems in a vehicle. Gone are the days when people could use a 'tap-a-line' on a hot lead under the dash. You have to go to a confirmed hot/light positive lead to 'source' a supply for the (if relay fed) power lead, or a switched hot lead if the current is available. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a fused power line, right now the ground is connected under a bracket on the inner fender. Thanks for the tips guys I will try moving the ground wire when I get home.