Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Old 08-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sprint Booster - Gas mileage...

After my initial excitement about this device increasing mileage (saw 30+ mpg on a road trip). I have now checked a couple of tanks around town and just don't see much change from my pre-SB mileage values (getting 18-20 mpg around town - yes, I keep it revved up...). Bottom line: I don't think this does much for mileage! So much for that vain hope!

...Still love the throttle effect though!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Yup, that's about what I get, 30 mpg highway and 22 city on stock car.

Have you taken apart the Sprint Booster to see what the main components are inside of it?

Would like to reverse engineer one if anybody has a bad Sprint Booster let me know.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Yup, that's about what I get, 30 mpg highway and 22 city on stock car.

Have you taken apart the Sprint Booster to see what the main components are inside of it?

Would like to reverse engineer one if anybody has a bad Sprint Booster let me know.
You can build one from scratch without having to reverse engineer it. All you need to do is take the voltage signals from the two hall effect sensors in the pedal and run them through a variable gain amp, and feed it back to the ecu. Or if you want something more hi tech, use a PIC/AVR processor to digitize the signal, apply whatever response curve you want via software and then do D/A conversion and feed that back. I may do this at some point if I get time but I am working other stuff first. I bet there's not more than $20 worth of components in the module. Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2006, 12:59 AM

Is it too late to get in on this? If not, I'm in as well. '05 auto.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boris
Before you go and spend mega buck on this thing it's worth resetting the throttle response to see if that makes any difference.

I have just done this and it's like driving a new car.

Previously I couldn't change gear smoothly, quite simply because I wasn't depressing the throttle enough when I changed, now it's great and much more responsive.

Trouble is, it's not my car it's my wife's, and she is really not very happy with me, because now she can't drive it smoothly, where as she could previously with the throttle lag.
Boris...you're my new hero. I have had the same problem with my Crossfire since I picked it up...though it only had 2,400+ miles on it when I bought it, it has been incredibly difficult to get a feel for the clutch and for smooth starts and shifts. I'd finally learned how to do it, but it required a very aggressive shift pattern.

Well, I searched the forum for Reset Throttle Response and found the link from HDDP which I performed several weeks ago. Due to business travel I hadn't had any chance to test the car until this weekend. As you've already described, it's like having a new car. Much smoother starts, quicker throttle response, and just a joy to drive. I loved this car before...we don't have a word to describe how I feel about it now. Thanks for your advice, and thanks to HDDP for posting the reset instructions.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:57 PM

Ok the Sprint Boosters arrived late this afternoon so here goes,

#1 - rdotson - Thank you for pioneering this thing and such great instructions for installation. Once again Thank you.

#2 - I have read all the ideas and doubters but all I can say is WOW.
I have reset mine a bunch of times but resetting your computer isn't anywhere close ...

#3 - Thanks to rdotson I installed mine in less than 15 minutes in this order, pictures
are here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...ry.php?cat=574

1. Remove the lower nut cap.
2. Remove the 10mm nut.
3. Remove the washer, a magnet helps.
4. Remove the pedal, lift the bottom pulling out and pull it out of the upper bracket.
5. Unplug the tps cable from the sensor.
6. Plug the tps cable into the Sprint Booster.
7. Plug the Sprint Booster cable into the tps sensor.
8. Reinstall the pedal assembly.
9. Go for a test drive, you WILL SMILE !!!

This is a short (maybe long) review and for non believers... OK ...
My car will now bark the tires from a standstill and put you back in the seat and I mean instantly, NO HESITATION, RIGHT NOW!!!
Don't believe it ? Try it, you will believe !

Last edited by PAULW; 08-08-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Forum Regular

Haha, sounds good! I'll take one for $150 not $380 lol.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:14 AM
sbj

Auto or manual PaulW?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Forum Regular

Too late, guys? I've got a Roadster, automatic.

I also don't have any mechanical know-how...I'm interested, nonetheless.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:42 AM

Mine is an automatic.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULW
Ok the Sprint Boosters arrived late this afternoon so here goes,

I installed mine in less than 15 minutes in this order, pictures
are here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...ry.php?cat=574

1. Remove the lower nut cap.
2. Remove the 10mm nut.
3. Remove the washer, a magnet helps.
4. Remove the pedal, lift the bottom pulling out and pull it out of the upper bracket.
5. Unplug the tps cable from the sensor.
6. Plug the tps cable into the Sprint Booster.
7. Plug the Sprint Booster cable into the tps sensor.
8. Reinstall the pedal assembly.
9. Go for a test drive, you WILL SMILE !!!

This is a short (maybe long) review and for non believers... OK ...
My car will now bark the tires from a standstill and put you back in the seat and I mean instantly, NO HESITATION, RIGHT NOW!!!
Don't believe it ? Try it, you will believe !
Paul, thanks for the excellent instructions w/photos. Can hardly wait!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 08:10 AM

First I can't take credit for the instructions, they are thanks to rdotson and second a little update after driving to work today (I don't drive mine to work very often). The best way I can describe it is that the accelerator now feels like it is mechanical not drive by wire. It is quick and smooth requiring shorter depression to accelerate whether from a stop (where you really notice it) or sudden throttle up passing someone,there is absolutely no hesitation at any point of throttle. From idle to the floor it seems tight and very responsive. My car does not drive the same and it will be fun relearning to drive it, the problem will be not receiving an invitation to donate to the city slow down fund. Fun Fun !!
Oh...All on the list, the boosters have been sent, I hope you will have them by Thursday or Friday. Thanks to all of you for your patience.

Last edited by PAULW; 08-08-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:36 AM

Thanks for all that you have done rdotson and a big thanks to Paul for making this group buy happen!
I cant wait to get it and try it out!

Last edited by Eracer76; 08-09-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Got mine in the mail, thanks! I can't wait to install it.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 PM

I didn't get mine yet.
Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow though...

Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular

Is it too late? I am guessing it is...sounds like they have all been sent out. If another group buy is in the works, I'll be the first on the list.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:46 PM

Paul, received mine today...thank you again. Hope to have it installed within the hour. Appreciate everything you have done.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:42 PM

Hey everyone on the buy list... Please let me know what you think after you get the booster installed either on an open post, PM or email. I am just curious.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by PAULW
Hey everyone on the buy list... Please let me know what you think after you get the booster installed either on an open post, PM or email. I am just curious.
HOLY SHITTE!!!

Where do I start??? The information that Paul gathered from Boulekos during the ordering process was most valuable. There are two flavors of this thing: one for manual that can only be installed with manual transmissions, and one for automatic that can be installed with either the automatic or manual transmission (sort of a lite version for the manual). Well, being a little leery, and wanting to maintain drivability, I decided to go with the one for automatics. Took 15 minutes to install as Paul said.

Backed out of the garage & driveway, shifted to first and it was like being shot out of a cannon!!! 2nd gear was the same!!! Got to the stop sign, pulled out on the highway...and I almost immediately turned around to go back and uninstall it, as it was nearly undriveable. People joke about the car looking like a dog squatting...well if you want to make it squat, and I mean RIGHT NOW, ON DEMAND...then this is the thing that will make it do it. Anyway, I decided to take a little drive through town and find as many stop signs/lights as I could. After about 5 minutes of learning how to re-drive my car, it started to feel pretty good as I learned to control it. THE ONLY WAY I CAN DESCRIBE IT IS...ALL OF THE HORSEPOWER AND ALL OF THE TORQUE...IS THERE FROM IDLE TO 4,000 RPM. After that, there is no difference than before. You definitely have to learn how to drive this thing all over again. The lightest touch on the accelerator will launch you immediately...there is no delay. Cruising on the highway, and in the higher gears, you will notice no difference at all. Shifting is easier and much smoother...with no hesitation in acceleration/deceleration.

I cannot even imagine what the manual version must be like. I'm so glad that I got the automatic version because anything more would be INSANE!!! It is going to take more getting used to, and I fear getting stuck in traffic for a while. I will add more comments in a week or two as I get a chance to experience this device in all situations.

Last edited by danimal; 08-12-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 AM

It is great to see that everyone else is experiencing the same thing that I did after installation of the SB! When you undertake these projects solo, you sometimes begin to question your own sanity... It really is a great mod for our cars - and, I'm sure it would be as significant in the M-B 320SLKs, too! Enjoy, but be safe! Thanks to Paul for moving this forward for the group!

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!