TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

grille mod with pic.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default grille mod with pic.

first let me tell you I have had the car 12 days ,,went to the track(drag strip) twice,
day one 76* 8pm run 5 13.40 @10589
8:55 pm run 6 13.40 @10603
it took the first 4 runs to get use to the car,, i am use to a front wheel drive PT Cruiser that runs 12.93 @ 108. any way the next week back to the track with only the grille mod temp 77* run 1,and 2, were before 8 pm and were #1- 13.46 #2- 13.39 now it is 8:23#3- 13.30 @ 106.44 #4 -13.25 @106.63 here is the mod
1 remove the grillecrossfireSRT-6grillemod005.jpg
#2cut the plastic on the inside of the grille on both left and right sides the upper bar onlycrossfireSRT-6grillemod007.jpg
heat it with a mini tourch so you can strighten it by hand until it is level with the rest of the grille barcrossfireSRT-6grillemod009.jpg you can see the opening that now lets air drive right to the intakecrossfireSRT-6grillemod011.jpg see how the opening is so much larger

Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Default Re: grille mod with pic.

onced the grille in reinstalled ,,you can't see any differance but it works. crossfireSRT-6grillemod017.jpg
crossfireSRT-6grillemod015.jpgif you have any questions pm me this mod is free no money out of your pocket you can heat the plastic with a lighter or a match (may take longer, also with a set of wire cutters you can cut the plastic ,,just cut small bights as the plastic cut with wire cutters wants to crack jim

Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder how well it will work with a Needswings intake...I agree that the openings for the grille are rather small

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
www.CustomCrossfire.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice! im doing this mod today! if anyone has a dremel with the cutting blade that might be easier then wire cutters or tin snips.. just a thought.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is an awesome mod! Great idea. Thank you for sharing and adding pics too! Much appreciated.

A dremel is the ticket! I didn't plan on reusing the factory tube inserts next to the radiator when I changed my intake - rather than remove the radiator or parts around the radiator in order to remove the inserts, I used the dremel to "trim" them loose. Worked like a charm. I do have the flex shaft accessory to my dremel, without it, the process might be more difficult.

Just my $.02.

Later,
KrzyFast

Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 AM

When I got back from the track the first time I was all hyped up and wanted to do anything I could to my car to improve it, I actually took off the grille and was looking into just actually cutting off the part you bent but your method is a lot better, I might be performing this mod too, that is as long as it clears the filter on the Needswings intake. Thank you for the little how-to btw I wouldn't have thought you could heat and bend the plastic like that.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

finally a mod I can do that doesn't cost me money....thanks man....

Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice easy mod and yes a dremmel is the best way to go about it.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
Nice easy mod and yes a dremmel is the best way to go about it.

dremmel= second best....................The best way to do it is with a pneumatic pencil grinder(best custom tool ever). I used mine to cut out all of the angled tabs so it has more straight through flow to the intake and also the radiator/condensor.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular

I don't think you don't want to remove all the angled tabs, because they protect the condenser coils from rocks, bugs and stones at high speeds on the highway. kind of like a shield. just take out the ones that block the air intake

Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
I don't think you don't want to remove all the angled tabs, because they protect the condenser coils from rocks, bugs and stones at high speeds on the highway. kind of like a shield. just take out the ones that block the air intake

I live in the city and even when driving cross country(in other cars) 5 times I have never had a decent size rock jump up and into my condensor. I have however had several pebbles chip my damn windshield(s).

Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
I live in the city and even when driving cross country(in other cars) 5 times I have never had a decent size rock jump up and into my condensor. I have however had several pebbles chip my damn windshield(s).
Just remember-everyone has a rock with their name on it!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Forum Regular
Talking Re: grille mod with pic.

I recently did this and I've noticed that the temp dummy gauge usually sits about halfway between middle mark and the next to middle mark. Usually it was pegged on on the middle once warmed up. I cut every fin and noticed a gain in economy as well. Once I get the NW intake, I guess I should do even better??

Justin

Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
I will be doin this mod soon. I bought a piece of wire mesh from my local Home Depot to secure to the back side of the grille once I cut out the angled louvers. Painted flat black should look fine.
Pics will follow !

Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tip! I did this mod using a dremmel 2 days ago and it looks great! No one can tell that I did it either! Gotta love the dremmel!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stogey
I will be doin this mod soon. I bought a piece of wire mesh from my local Home Depot to secure to the back side of the grille once I cut out the angled louvers. Painted flat black should look fine.
Pics will follow !

You might want to see if you can get the mesh powdercoated. I spraypainted the bare mesh for my SRT-4 and after a few months of bugs, pebbles and whatnot it had a bunch of little silvery specs. Then I just took it off and repainted it every few months(too lazy to have it powdercoated).

Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

My only concern is that a stone or object has a clear shot into the radiator with the grill mod.
Otherwise it seems like a good idea

Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
My only concern is that a stone or object has a clear shot into the radiator with the grill mod.
Otherwise it seems like a good idea
I agree Valk ! I have the same fear. The wire mesh behind the grille should do the trick. I tried to find a mesh fine enough to curtail any debris about an 1/8 inch in size and Home Depot had just what I was looking for ! I don't know about powder coating tho, I will just paint the mesh for now. Need to figure out how to attach to back side of the grille.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 AM

if you only cut the opening next to the intake opening you want need a mesh behind the grille,, just in case you didn't know the (and most all grilles and bumpers (today)) are made to create preasure behind the grille and in front of the rad, by cutting all the edges of your grille you lose some of that preasure pushing through your rad.,, jim

Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 AM

Pressure behind the grille ? Huh ? I am not understanding !!! If that's the case what happens when the fan kicks on ? Not being sarcastic here, but I've never heard of this. What's your source of information ?

Quick Reply: grille mod with pic.