Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

3 Nails and a Change to Goodyears

Old 04-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Nails and a Change to Goodyears

I was slowly losing air from one of my rear Michelins, about 3 lbs per week. Took it to my local Goodyear store to have the tire checked and it turns out there were 3 (yes THREE) nails in it! One very small, one rusted and one that looked to be fairly recent but worn down. We were all amazed that the tire held air at all. I think that says something about today's tire technology or maybe Michelins.

Since buying my XF, I have done a good bit of research and had decided that if the time came (it came) I would replace the tires with Goodyear F1's. I immediately noticed a significant reduction in the road noise from the rear tires. I have a coupe and to me it seems louder than the roadster, I guess because of the configuration. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the Goodyears and will most likely purchase new front tires this summer when Goodyear has their annual sale.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 3 Nails and a Change to Goodyears

Are there any problems with just replacing two tires at a time? My rears need replacing but the fronts look very good.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:07 AM

I wondered the same thing. The guys at Goodyear said no problem running the F1's in the rear on the Michelin Sports in the front. They measured the treads and said they had a lot of miles left; they thought that the fronts were replacements. I took them at their word because they do a lot of work on my other cars and why would they lie, they want to sell tires!

Anyway, I took a drive down to the beach this weekend, 275 miles round trip. An absolutely fantastic weekend weather wise and the tires performed great. That being said, I may still replace the fronts in a few months just because I want them to match. Not necessary but it will make me happy (but poorer). I may take the fronts and offer them to a local XF owner.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:22 AM

You never want to mix different tires. Due to the difference in tread composition and pattern, you could prematurely unbalance one side of the car and create a hazardous situation.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Ok, I'll bite. How will having Goodyears in the rear and Michelins in the front "unbalance one side of the car?" Are you referring to the right/left sides or front/rear "sides?"

Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rydiak
You never want to mix different tires. Due to the difference in tread composition and pattern, you could prematurely unbalance one side of the car and create a hazardous situation.
I believe you are referring to never mixing different tire brands or models on THE SAME AXLE. There is no problem with running one brand or model on one axle with a different brand or model on the other axle, although IMHO I think that you get a better ride, and the car is more predictable, with 4 of the same brand and model tires on all 4 wheels.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xfire2005
I believe you are referring to never mixing different tire brands or models on THE SAME AXLE. There is no problem with running one brand or model on one axle with a different brand or model on the other axle, although IMHO I think that you get a better ride, and the car is more predictable, with 4 of the same brand and model tires on all 4 wheels.
~ see link for more info:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ighlight=tires