Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

SRT-6 Spring Trim

Old 08-13-2007, 05:30 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT-6 Spring Trim

Now that I have my SRT on jack stands and the

1) Rotors removed (out for dimpling, slotting and black Zinc plating)

2) Calipers removed for painting

3) Replacing pads with Rotex Gold

4) Installing a set of Goodridge steel braided brake lines (on order)

5) Tire repair (nail)

I thought well go one more step and lower this puppy.

Question - has anyone attempted to trim the stock coil? Can it be done by just compressing the springs and trimming them the appropriate amount or would the springs need to be removed for trimming?

I would not want to remove the springs myself, I will pay to have a set of Eibachs installed if I need to go that route, but would have no problem using a spring compressor and trimming them if I did not have to remove and replace the suspension to do the job and it was possible to begin with.

I know the Eibach springs are softer then the SRT and firmer then the Limited but I have come to like the stock SRT suspension - it's just 2" to 2.5" taller then I would like.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SRT-6 Spring Trim

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Now that I have my SRT on jack stands and the

1) Rotors removed (out for dimpling, slotting and black Zinc plating)

2) Calipers removed for painting

3) Replacing pads with Rotex Gold

4) Installing a set of Goodridge steel braided brake lines (on order)

5) Tire repair (nail)

I thought well go one more step and lower this puppy.

Question - has anyone attempted to trim the stock coil? Can it be done by just compressing the springs and trimming them the appropriate amount or would the springs need to be removed for trimming?

I would not want to remove the springs myself, I will pay to have a set of Eibachs installed if I need to go that route, but would have no problem using a spring compressor and trimming them if I did not have to remove and replace the suspension to do the job and it was possible to begin with.

I know the Eibach springs are softer then the SRT and firmer then the Limited but I have come to like the stock SRT suspension - it's just 2" to 2.5" taller then I would like.

Thanks for the help.
Removing the stock spring is not that hard, put a floor jack under where the spring is located. Remove the inner lower control arm bolt, the outer control arm bolt, lower shock bolt and lower sway bar bolt. Then just let the jack down slowly and the whole lower control arm will come down. As far as trimming it, I would stand the spring straight up, measure straight up or down of the length you want to drop it, make a mark on the spring and use a 4" grinder to cut it off. But I would not go anymore than 2 inches, I would shoot for 1.5 inches. I'm thinking of doing the same to my Eibach's on the rear of my car to get it down 1/4" to 1/2" more and I'm having some rubbing issue's in the front, so I'm thinking of trying to shim above the rubber cup above the spring about 1/4".

Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve,

Actually I was thinking about using the hobby-shop on the base. They have lifts, boom jacks, tools, etc.

Next question for someone who has done this; are the top and bottom coil pads keyed for the coil?

What I mean by this, will I have to trim exactly one coil so they will fit into the pad or does orientation of the spring/pad matter?

Thanks - armed with this info I may give it a shot on my own.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 08-14-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Thanks Steve,

Actually I was thinking about using the hobby-shop on the base. They have lifts, boom jacks, tools, etc.

Next question for someone who has done this; are the top and bottom coil pads keyed for the coil?

What I mean by this, will I have to trim exactly one coil so they will fit into the pad or does orientation of the spring/pad matter?

Thanks - armed with this info I may give it a shot on my own.
It won't matter on where you cut it because the rubber cup on the top of the spring will rotate where ever you want it to. There is a notch in the top rubber cup that the spring fits into, make sure the end of the spring is in that notch. The bottom control arm also has a notch in it that the bottom of the spring fits into. One thing to consider if you cut your springs is that they will not be compressed out of the car, so be careful not to cut too much off.