Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires

Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires

It's close to time to get new tires for the our '04 coupe. After much research here I've found that the Eagle F1 GS D3's are super tires for the xfire. Unfortunately, they are not good on snow/ice. We get some snow/ice here in N. Texas about once or twice a winter. That makes these tires a concern.

After more research I discovered Goodyear's new Eagle F1 All Season tires. They get the following ratings:

Dry traction: 9
Wet traction: 9
Snow traction: 8
Ride Comfort: 9
Quiet Ride: 8

The best of all worlds is they perform better than the GS D3's and cost less! Unfortunately, the local Goodyear dealer has not been able to find them in the 19". Apparently it is because they are so new. The product code he gave me is 793-633-270-0 for the 255/35ZR19's.

Have any of you run across these tires? Or, had experience with the GS D3's in winter? I appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires

I was looking at these on the Goodyear website for my '04 Coupe as well. It seems like a really good all season tire. I'm in N-Central Florida where ice is never a concern, but feel a little more comfortable having all seasons in case I venture north.

I'm probably going to head to my Goodyear store and ask if they can find some 19s...might get the same reply you did, though.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Or, had experience with the GS D3's in winter? I appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks!
Not in a Crossfire but i've had to drive on GS D3's on ice before. Simple: don't do it. Those tires will certainly perform better than the GS-D3s on ice/snow but that will be it.

I know it's not the most cost effective solution, but since we only get ice once or twice a year i would have considered picking up a spare set of wheels and tires just for that situation. why compromise your tire choice for something you'll only need once a year?

Old 10-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Smile Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires

Just bought the F1 All Season yesterday! Today I am at Lake Tahoe in some real wet Sierra cement snow and no problems but it is not as great as the
Range Rover! Tires sure ride better than the original Conti's I would advise any Xfire owner to use these tires I think they will be a great all around tire!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
The best of all worlds is they perform better than the GS D3's and cost less!
The F1 all-season may very well be a very good tire, but there is no way it outperforms the GS D3's in anything other than longevity.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by matadorCE
I know it's not the most cost effective solution, but since we only get ice once or twice a year i would have considered picking up a spare set of wheels and tires just for that situation. why compromise your tire choice for something you'll only need once a year?
The cost effective solution is staying home or finding other transportation if it's literally just 1 or 2 days a year.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ejavis1
Just bought the F1 All Season yesterday! Today I am at Lake Tahoe in some real wet Sierra cement snow and no problems but it is not as great as the
Range Rover! Tires sure ride better than the original Conti's I would advise any Xfire owner to use these tires I think they will be a great all around tire!
How about noise?

Zorro

Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCones
The F1 all-season may very well be a very good tire, but there is no way it outperforms the GS D3's in anything other than longevity.
according to Goodyear, the all-season provides better ride comfort along with snow capability. on dry pavement it is suggested that they perform similarly, and the GS D3 gets a slight edge on wet pavement. it comes down to whether you expect to drive on snow occasionally and maybe price.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ejavis1
ejaqvis1, did you get the 19" F1 All Season?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 PM

I was able to obtain the 18" & 19" tires with no problems! I am in the San Francisco bay area and Cain's Tire Center was able to get them for me.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob M
according to Goodyear, the all-season provides better ride comfort along with snow capability. on dry pavement it is suggested that they perform similarly, and the GS D3 gets a slight edge on wet pavement. it comes down to whether you expect to drive on snow occasionally and maybe price.
Ride and snow...likely true.

If their "max performance summer" tire with treadwear of 280 is not significantly better in the dry than their "ultra high performance all-season" tire with treadwear of 420, Goodyear is really doing something wrong.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 AM

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and I really like their look and comfort. Never had anything better. BUT, they don't do a good job in the snow; regardless of how much there is in the ground. The rain, no problem. A bit expensive. At tirerack.com they are selling for $195 ea.

Living in NYC I have to think of snow. I guess about 10% of the year its on the ground. But I like the XF and those tires so much that Im considering buying my next place close to transportation so I don't have to worry about the snow anymore.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:22 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Try Sam's. They can order them for you if they don't have them in stock, and you can't beat their price.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCones
Ride and snow...likely true.

If their "max performance summer" tire with treadwear of 280 is not significantly better in the dry than their "ultra high performance all-season" tire with treadwear of 420, Goodyear is really doing something wrong.
the GS-D3 does perform better in handling tests - but Goodyear does rate both tires equal in on their website. i'm not sure why.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Forum Regular

I changed out of the worn out Conti's in August. So far tires have performed as expected, NO problems driving on wet roads, no even a hint of lost traction on VERY wet roads. Noise - don't hear them. Had other Goodyear's on my Audi - and they screamed - but these I don't hear at all.
Here in central VA - we get snow and ice - I am not going to even attempt to drive on these when that happens. For the price of a new set of rims and tires - I could probably rent a car for the few times it's an issue.
Or take my wides A6.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Got a set of Eagle F1 All Seasons thru Tirerack. Fronts were $148, Rears $220, about $10 each to ship.
I had pretty good Pilot Sports 2s on front and rear, rear thread was down to 2/32. I have about 2,000 miles on F1's so far. My assessment: in daily, sporty driving, I can't tell I lost a thing compared to the Sports.
Rain: no problem.
Snow: haven't seen yet (central N.C.).
P.S. - I drive this SRT 150 miles a day roundtrip to work on two-lane roads. About 1/2 I can bonzai. Oh, did I mention over 100 curves each way.
Crossfire fun.
Longhaul (thought the name fit the deal).

Old 11-29-2007, 07:21 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you guys are driving these in the winter, I would like to get your assessment of these tires after the winter. I'm sure I will be buying tires next year, and if you think they are good let me know.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by longhaul
Got a set of Eagle F1 All Seasons thru Tirerack. Fronts were $148, Rears $220, about $10 each to ship.
I had pretty good Pilot Sports 2s on front and rear, rear thread was down to 2/32. I have about 2,000 miles on F1's so far. My assessment: in daily, sporty driving, I can't tell I lost a thing compared to the Sports.
I got mine installed today. Fumbled into $100 in rebates. Discount tires (local store) matched tire rack and I got them for the same price Longhaul is quoting. All said and done, $880 after rebates with full roadside and installed.

All I have noticed is a slightly stiffer ride. They don't grip like I was expecting, but that is ok.
I can smoke the tires with a little effort, where it took more effort before my Pilot Sports before they wore down.
I have not driven them in the rain or snow, but I'll report when I do.
Saturday I start my roadtrip from Nashville to KC. I'll report anything interesting with the tires the first of next week.

I took a couple pics with my phone and will post them... eventually.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Forum Regular

I've had F1 A/S for about a month now - I started a thread on it - check the tires and suspension thing. Short story is they're quieter and softer than the PS2s - PS2s clearly handle better - no shocker though.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Life is random...so am I.

I started another thread about these tires about 2 weeks ago...

FP...I'll take some pics tonight or tomorrow and post them here...I KNOW they'll be better than the Conti's in the snow. They look WAY better suited for snow and water...not to mention they look much better under my car!

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires