Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Tire pressure monitors for '04 LTD. HELP

Old 03-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure monitors for '04 LTD. HELP

So a few months ago I scored a set of stock rims for my 2004 LTD and I had them powder coated chrome and I can't wait to get them on the car.
I want to get a new set of tpms for them and the dealership wants $265 for a set of 4.
I don't want to spend that much money for tpms; that's about the same amount as one new rear tire!
Anyway, I want to do this once, as I do not want to be mounting and dismounting tires on my freshly chromed rims.
Could someone that has experience with this please send me a link to a reasonably priced set of 4 tpms that are known to work on a 2004 Crossfire Ltd?
I greatly appreciate it!
My cell number is
814-242-4389

Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 03-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Default Re: Tire pressure monitors for 04 LTD. HELP

Thank you very much!

Old 03-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the dealership including relearning of the new sensors in their price? If they were, it's not so bad a deal. $65-70 a piece is expensive, but that is the going rate at many shops.

With very few exceptions (the rare non-Chysler dealer that has a DRB III tool, and Crossfire multiplexer and software) it is going to cost a lot to install/activate new TPMS sensors.

Some dealerships and national tire chains (for example, Firestone) will not let you provide your self-procured sensors for them to install while thay are mounting your tires.

Many Chrysler service centers are currently charging an HOUR labor to perform the very brief relearn procedure using the DRB III. So even if you get 4 of the 20028 sensors for $120, you may end up paying another $120 or so just for the relearn. And you may have to have them installed by an independent shop and then still end up at the delaership for the relearn.

Good luck!

What I did last year because I felt compelled for some reason to have a working TPMS system was to have new tires and my new sensors installed at an independent shop. Despite having the proper equipment they managed to put a few scratches in the rear wheels (ended up offering me half off on the price, which I accepted). Then I started calling Chrysler dealers. Most were 1 hour labor for the relearn. One suggested 1/2 hour at first and then 1 hour when I called later. They agreed to 1/2 hour labor, but then charged me based on $140/hr rate (which must be rate they charge people who don't buy cars from them) and added all sorts of laughable fees (supplies, documentation, electronic storage, etc.). So it ended up I still paid around $90 for the relearn. When I arrived at the dealership I had to wait a little longer than expected becasue they had to borrow the multiplexer cable and Crossfire software from another delaer about 10 miles away.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rob M
Was the dealership including relearning of the new sensors in their price? If they were, it's not so bad a deal. $65-70 a piece is expensive, but that is the going rate at many shops.

With very few exceptions (the rare non-Chysler dealer that has a DRB III tool, and Crossfire multiplexer and software) it is going to cost a lot to install/activate new TPMS sensors.

Some dealerships and national tire chains (for example, Firestone) will not let you provide your self-procured sensors for them to install while thay are mounting your tires.

Many Chrysler service centers are currently charging an HOUR labor to perform the very brief relearn procedure using the DRB III. So even if you get 4 of the 20028 sensors for $120, you may end up paying another $120 or so just for the relearn. And you may have to have them installed by an independent shop and then still end up at the delaership for the relearn.

Good luck!

What I did last year because I felt compelled for some reason to have a working TPMS system was to have new tires and my new sensors installed at an independent shop. Despite having the proper equipment they managed to put a few scratches in the rear wheels (ended up offering me half off on the price, which I accepted). Then I started calling Chrysler dealers. Most were 1 hour labor for the relearn. One suggested 1/2 hour at first and then 1 hour when I called later. They agreed to 1/2 hour labor, but then charged me based on $140/hr rate (which must be rate they charge people who don't buy cars from them) and added all sorts of laughable fees (supplies, documentation, electronic storage, etc.). So it ended up I still paid around $90 for the relearn. When I arrived at the dealership I had to wait a little longer than expected becasue they had to borrow the multiplexer cable and Crossfire software from another delaer about 10 miles away.
They didn't say if that included the relearn or not.
I ordered a set from that Amazon link and I'm hoping that the shop I'm buying the tires from doesn't have a problem with this.
Thanks for the reply!