Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Front Lower Control Arm

Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arm

I saw a post from 2008 that touched base here and I have a question that I need answered fairly quickly.. more like confirmation.

The Mercedes SLK 320 and Crossfire are basically identical from what I understand.

I need to know if the control arm for the SLK320 is interchangeable with a crossfire.

I'm looking for confirmation of this. If someone knows please pm me or reply here. Thx

Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Front Lower Control Arm

Here are the numbers I found on my 2006 SRT-6 control arms. Currently I have NA control arms on my car. (with Kmacs) They're identical. The bushings are the same across several chassis numbers. Without further ado, the pictures.

Les

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2653.JPG (82.0 KB, 106 views)
IMG_2654.JPG (98.9 KB, 103 views)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

1996-2004 slk320 is the r170
2004-2010 is the r171

Old 05-05-2016, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Here are the numbers I found on my 2006 SRT-6 control arms. Currently I have NA control arms on my car. (with Kmacs) They're identical. The bushings are the same across several chassis numbers. Without further ado, the pictures.

Les
so that's a yes, they are interchangeable?

Old 05-05-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
1996-2004 slk320 is the r170
2004-2010 is the r171
the r170 is the crossfire chassis, so in conclusion the 1996-2004 control arm from the slk320 will work?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Well, based on the MB star on my lower control arm, it's not a Chrysler part. I can't say 100% it's the same as the 2004 and earlier SLK but I'm sure enough that I'd take the chance. Are you getting a new one or used. The price and labor of replacing the bushings on a used part makes a new one a better choice. New in the box with bushings is around $200.00.

Les

Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Well, based on the MB star on my lower control arm, it's not a Chrysler part. I can't say 100% it's the same as the 2004 and earlier SLK but I'm sure enough that I'd take the chance. Are you getting a new one or used. The price and labor of replacing the bushings on a used part makes a new one a better choice. New in the box with bushings is around $200.00.

Les
The part number should be on the part somewhere, not too visible on some parts but it is there.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 AM

Les
Well the reason I ask is because the Control Arm needs to be replaced to pass safety to be certified.

The Mopar Control arm is listed at $1018.00 for just the part, while the MB one is listed at $137.00 for the part. (a little over 1/8th the price)

Before I purchase either or, I'm trying to get confirmation from someone that's subbed the MB part for the Chrysler part.

The price difference is outrageous and I'm not gonna pay $1k if I don't have to. I think the part numbers are different but I feel like it's because 2 different companies produce it.. I'll try to get under it this weekend I guess and have a look.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by JamieL
Well the reason I ask is because the Control Arm needs to be replaced to pass safety to be certified.

The Mopar Control arm is listed at $1018.00 for just the part, while the MB one is listed at $137.00 for the part. (a little over 1/8th the price)

Before I purchase either or, I'm trying to get confirmation from someone that's subbed the MB part for the Chrysler part.

The price difference is outrageous and I'm not gonna pay $1k if I don't have to. I think the part numbers are different but I feel like it's because 2 different companies produce it.. I'll try to get under it this weekend I guess and have a look.
If it is the same part it will have the same part number, a Mercedes number no matter what subcontractor made it. Chrysler has a number for it but that number is on paper and not stamped on the part. If you buy a Mopar part for this car where a Mercedes part is available you arpaying for someone to go to a Mercedes dealer and stick a Chrysler label over the Mercedes label.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If it is the same part it will have the same part number, a Mercedes number no matter what subcontractor made it. Chrysler has a number for it but that number is on paper and not stamped on the part. If you buy a Mopar part for this car where a Mercedes part is available you arpaying for someone to go to a Mercedes dealer and stick a Chrysler label over the Mercedes label.
Guess I'll just crawl under and see if I can see a part number on the actual part.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess I'll just crawl under and see if I can see a part number on the actual part.
If it is original Mercedes which I'm sure it is unless it has been changed the part numbers should look something like this[ 170-330-01-07-mbz.] Pelican parts has them listed from 3 different manufacturers and they range in price from $94 up to 439.00 For genuine Mercedes replacement part and they all come with bushings installed but no ball joint included. All Crossfires are built on the r170 platform using the same suspension and steering and brake components as the SLK series.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 PM

Mine are in the closet. I looked and I can't find any more numbers. I'll get a flashlight and see if numbers exist inside the darn thing. Maybe I'm blind?

Les

Old 05-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe they ought to come out of the closet ?

Old 05-05-2016, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by kingdavid54
If it is original Mercedes which I'm sure it is unless it has been changed the part numbers should look something like this[ 170-330-01-07-mbz.] Pelican parts has them listed from 3 different manufacturers and they range in price from $94 up to 439.00 For genuine Mercedes replacement part and they all come with bushings installed but no ball joint included. All Crossfires are built on the r170 platform using the same suspension and steering and brake components as the SLK series.
Right, so essentially the stupid thing should fit lol.

All the images I've found, the part is identical. Apart from the Chrysler one being grey and the MB one being black I can't really see any differences, everything about them is the same from what I can see

Old 05-05-2016, 03:04 PM

Right, so essentially the stupid thing should fit lol.

All the images I've found, the part is identical. Apart from the Chrysler one being grey and the MB one being black I can't really see any differences, everything about them is the same from what I can see
Since you're going to have it down anyway that would be a good time to put the MB camber bolts in the lower control arms so you can adjust the camber, it takes two bolts per side, if you're only going to change one lower control arm all you need is the spring compressor to take the pressure off the coil spring so you can change the bolts on the other side.

Last edited by kingdavid54; 05-05-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It it the control arm or just the lower ball joints that need to be replaced in the control arm to pass, normal for ball joints to wear out.
I just changed both my lowers not long ago.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:26 PM

It it the control arm or just the lower ball joints that need to be replaced in the control arm to pass, normal for ball joints to wear out.
Excellent question!!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM

The question is does yours have ball joints? Mine doesn't. I looked again with a flashlight and magnifying glass. I can't find any more numbers on the arms.

Les

Attached Images
IMG_2655.JPG (127.2 KB, 105 views)
IMG_2656.JPG (116.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM

unfortunately my mechanic wasn't that specific. its probably the bushings because I dont think he has the equipment to change out the bushings.

Either that or he wants to make money so he's tryin to get me to order the part

Old 05-06-2016, 09:03 AM

I just want to say thanks to everyone contributing to this to help me out, I really appreciate it, and to Les for the pictures.

I think what I'm gonna do is get dirty and see if I can find an MB logo anywhere on mine (everything on my car is stock except the tires)

If I see the MB logo on mine like the one's in the pictures shared, I'm just gonna risk it and see if it fits.

Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arm