Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 AM
ror0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Black Fabric Tape At Front Of Dashboard Top

Nobody has apparently mentioned a 3/32" black fabric tape that is glued to the extreme front of the dashboard top that comes loose rather easily and lays across the top of the dashboard. The more that you pull it, the more of it comes off! It can be loosened by carwash workers that are vigorous in cleaning the lower windshield. It measures 50" in length and is held in place by a weak glue that turns brittle and powdery with age. The tape is apparently needed to keep the front of the dashboard panel from scraping the windshield while the car is being assembled since it is a very tight fit. Also it keeps the front of the dashboard from rattling after installation. Mine started coming loose at the 2 1/2 year point so it was fixed under warranty. I have a roadster but the same part is apparently used in the coupes. DC quietly upgraded the part so that now a 1" piece of cloth strip is sewn over the length of this tape to keep it from working loose. You may want to check your dashboard to see if the tape is starting to loosen because if it occurs after the warranty expires, you will pay for about 6 hours of labor plus the cost of the entire dashboard top, if you want to fix it! My service technician states that it is not possible to re-glue this tape back down again once it has started to come loose.