Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Loose Black Fabric Tape At Front Of Dashboard Top

Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Black Fabric Tape At Front Of Dashboard Top

Nobody has apparently mentioned a 3/32" black fabric tape that is glued to the extreme front of the dashboard top that comes loose rather easily and lays across the top of the dashboard. The more that you pull it, the more of it comes off! It can be loosened by carwash workers that are vigorous in cleaning the lower windshield. It measures 50" in length and is held in place by a weak glue that turns brittle and powdery with age. The tape is apparently needed to keep the front of the dashboard panel from scraping the windshield while the car is being assembled since it is a very tight fit. Also it keeps the front of the dashboard from rattling after installation. Mine started coming loose at the 2 1/2 year point so it was fixed under warranty. I have a roadster but the same part is apparently used in the coupes. DC quietly upgraded the part so that now a 1" piece of cloth strip is sewn over the length of this tape to keep it from working loose. You may want to check your dashboard to see if the tape is starting to loosen because if it occurs after the warranty expires, you will pay for about 6 hours of labor plus the cost of the entire dashboard top, if you want to fix it! My service technician states that it is not possible to re-glue this tape back down again once it has started to come loose.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Loose Black Fabric Tape At Front Of Dashboard Top

I just took the cover off my car and looked where the windshield and dash meet and I can not see any black fabric tape. I also looked in my service manual and there was no mention of the tape there either. Have you had your dash replaced and if so how did it go and can you seen the fabric tape at all? Please post a picture.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took a look at my car, i don't see any black fabric tape.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:32 PM

I never saw the fabric tape until it began to come loose. If you look at the STAR parts manual at your Chrysler Service Department, the tape shows quite obviously along the front edge of "Part # 5099991AA Panel Ins" in their picture. The tape has no individual part number since it can't be glued back in place once the dashboard is installed. The reason that the dashboard replacement takes so long is that the screws keep falling down into the dashboard, requiring you to take it off again! Mine was replaced and appears perfect now. All of the Crossfire interiors used the same color dashboard so there will be a perfect match. It is not clear how recently the dashboard was upgraded by DC to the sewn cloth piece version so VINs would not be helpful. There must have been other complaints since DC would not have expended the effort to modify the part for their production assembly line because they are "good guys"! They were also forced to upgrade that flimsy emergency trunk release rod on the roadster because it kept snapping so easily; it was obvious when you looked at the cheap black plastic connector that it was going to break too easily!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine came loose this past summer so I just pushed it back where it belongs and try not to touch or disturb it.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:43 PM

Iamfink2, since you aren't interested in replacing your dashboard, you could carefully pull on the tape and remove it. Both ends are cut and will pull free without affecting anything else. There are no vertical components involved. Otherwise, it will periodically reappear. It also may start to become visible, partially covering your VIN number, as you look from outside through the windshield toward the driver's side dashboard! That's how I first became aware of mine.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried to remove it when I first noticed it was loose but it was connected at both ends and I didn't want to pull on it to hard being afraid I might damage something else in the process.