Thread: bas esp light
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 PM
HDDP
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: bas esp light

Originally Posted by Fermin
I had the same problem today with my BAS ESP malfunction indicator coming on!
Interestingly I did some detailing today around my engine, just dusting and cleaning with a damp cloth, real simple work. So the battery thing -- could be possible -- although i didn't disconnect mine.

Tonight when I drove to the video store I had the light coming on. Really pisses me off! I had the car 3 days ago checked at the local dealer.

It also could my wheel-bearings> dealer told me I had to replace my rear wheel-bearings; Perhaps the BAS EPS light simply indicates a malfunction in the car stability - I've been told and read, that a damaged wheel-bearing could be dangerous if ignored for to long.

Hope to read more about this particular issue!

Fermin.
Yes, faulty wheel bearings can be dangerous... But, as far as I know, there are no sensors to the computer that would illuminate the BAS/ESP light if your bearings were wearing out, unless they were so bad that your wheels were flopping around like CARP.

However, there is a laundry list of things that could trip that warning light. Best thing you can do is take the car to a reputable shop, for diagnosis only, and have them run the DRBIII scan unit to see what computer fault codes are causing the BAS/ESP light. Insist that they give you a print-out of the current fault codes and the stored fault codes. And definitely don't let them tell you that you need "XYZ" before you post the fault codes here...

When you have the fault codes, we can help you diagnose the problem...