Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

bas esp light

Old 03-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bas esp light

i just replaced my front brakes last night. this morning, when began braking at a stop light the BAS ESP LIGHT on the instrument board came on. i wanted to know if anyone knew what this light meant and how to fix. thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: bas esp light

There are a lot of things that could trigger the BAS/ESP light, but off the top of my head, I would guess you failed to reconnect one or both of the wheel speed sensors. I'm assuming here that when you said you replaced your brakes you meant brake pads and not the whole caliper/rotor. If you did anything that disturbed the integrity of the hydraulic system then It's time to bleed the brakes again.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Forum Regular

Did you disconnect the battery for any reason?

Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 AM

thanks for the information. i did not bleed the brake lines. i replaced the brakes, however do i need to replace the brake pad sensors?

Old 03-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if that would trigger a light or not, but it wouldn't hurt to have those wear sensors working now, would it? If the pads you installed don't have the hole in them for the sensor you can drill 'em yourself. Use the search button because not too long ago someone posted a nice How-to thread about this complete with pictures.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zdrastuvite
thanks for the information. i did not bleed the brake lines. i replaced the brakes, however do i need to replace the brake pad sensors?
First off, bleed your lines in the correct pattern RR, LR, RF, LF... Your wear sensor will only activate the brake pad warning light. I doubt you would have damaged the speed sensor as it is tucked in behind the rotors. The only thing I can think of is that you have a massive bubble in the hydraulics and you're making the car mad...

Old 03-15-2006, 01:10 AM

thanks alot for all of the information. i will have the hydraulic lines checked.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:45 PM

I had the same problem today with my BAS ESP malfunction indicator coming on!
Interestingly I did some detailing today around my engine, just dusting and cleaning with a damp cloth, real simple work. So the battery thing -- could be possible -- although i didn't disconnect mine.

Tonight when I drove to the video store I had the light coming on. Really pisses me off! I had the car 3 days ago checked at the local dealer.

It also could my wheel-bearings> dealer told me I had to replace my rear wheel-bearings; Perhaps the BAS EPS light simply indicates a malfunction in the car stability - I've been told and read, that a damaged wheel-bearing could be dangerous if ignored for to long.

Hope to read more about this particular issue!

Fermin.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fermin
I had the same problem today with my BAS ESP malfunction indicator coming on!
Interestingly I did some detailing today around my engine, just dusting and cleaning with a damp cloth, real simple work. So the battery thing -- could be possible -- although i didn't disconnect mine.

Tonight when I drove to the video store I had the light coming on. Really pisses me off! I had the car 3 days ago checked at the local dealer.

It also could my wheel-bearings> dealer told me I had to replace my rear wheel-bearings; Perhaps the BAS EPS light simply indicates a malfunction in the car stability - I've been told and read, that a damaged wheel-bearing could be dangerous if ignored for to long.

Hope to read more about this particular issue!

Fermin.
Yes, faulty wheel bearings can be dangerous... But, as far as I know, there are no sensors to the computer that would illuminate the BAS/ESP light if your bearings were wearing out, unless they were so bad that your wheels were flopping around like CARP.

However, there is a laundry list of things that could trip that warning light. Best thing you can do is take the car to a reputable shop, for diagnosis only, and have them run the DRBIII scan unit to see what computer fault codes are causing the BAS/ESP light. Insist that they give you a print-out of the current fault codes and the stored fault codes. And definitely don't let them tell you that you need "XYZ" before you post the fault codes here...

When you have the fault codes, we can help you diagnose the problem...

Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Forum Regular

First turn on the car and turn your steering wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right - then center it. Turn it off then back on again and see if it goes away.

- marc

Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 PM

mine did this also after a tire change i did as drunkiq said and no more light for now. my 04 has 19898 miles on it and the tansmission is making a funny noise when put into drive, it sounded like power sterring noise but was not that i guess a trip to the dealer will explane

Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM

I realize this may be a bad question. But i do not know the answer so....(I have never had a car newer than 1998 so my 04 crossfire is light years ahead in technology). what will disconnecting the battery do? can it harm the system?
thanks