View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Blackbelt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The worst car you've EVER owned

Originally Posted by arado
Having owned over seventy cars, the worst is easy. My wife wanted a Vega so I bought her a 1975. 20,000 miles a blown head gasket...no big deal, into the garage for pulldown, removed head and to my disgust the pistons run in an aluminum bore...no iron liners...nothing...auto transmission beginning to slip...Put it back together and sold it...Replaced with 1977 VW type 1 beetle...the last of them here...Superb car except for rust...seven years and gone...Then came Scirocco and Audi 100 and 200...no rust and superior comfort/ handling. My best car is a Sunbeam Mk1 Tiger...Paid $4,000 now valued at $35,000...No longer fun to drive though...

Gary
Ahhh yes, the Vega. I owned 3 of them. I actually liked the ones i had, for different reasons. My first Vega was a 1973 Notchback. I bought it off of a coworker for $80 bucks. I carried a gallon jug of oil in the trunk. It used 1 quart of oil per tank of gas. But it ran and ran. I drove it a few years and sold it for $100 bucks.
My second was a 1974 GT 4 speed. Picked it up in 1978 for $450. My wife and i drove it to the Pocono's for our honeymoon in Oct 1978. I loved that car, it ran great and was a ball to drive. I sold it to a co worker in 1980. I warned him to be careful of 2 things. Check the oil and coolant weekly and do not overheat the engine. He gave the car to his wife to use. He replaced the engine 3 times in 18 months...
My third was a 1976 with the 'dura-built' engine (they finally sleeved the block). Never gave me a ny trouble.