View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Marc Levy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Piper Cross Cold Air Intake

First of all it's not called a cold air intake, they call it an "Induction Kit" I have one. I'm not sure it's the best thing I could have done, and I've only had it for a few hundred miles so my report is preliminary.
First, I do not hear any difference. (No big deal, I don't want any)
Second, the low end performance seems to be better. I'm guessing that is because the initial acceleration is not clogged by the restrictive "stock" air circuit. I am only reporting what it seems like, I cannot make any real comparison tests.
Third, I do not see any difference in high end performance.
Fourth, My gas mileage for 300 miles in mostly city driving so far seems to be improved by about 5%.
Fifth, is the question of "hot air induction". Yes it draws it's air from the engine area so it is going to be hotter, but is that a big deal? The stock "Ram Air induction" is an oval measuring 2" X 1.5" at the intake then goes through a bend and then the air filter. That seems to me to be alot of resistance. I wonder if the "hot" air induction of the Pipercross is counter balanced by the much shorter and cleaner air path? Maybe keeping the original air path with a more efficient cleaner might have been better, but who knows? My $0.02 worth.