Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Piper Cross Cold Air Intake

Old 05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Piper Cross Cold Air Intake

I have been searching for an off the shelf CAI for my Roadster limited, and came across this one pictured below. I will be ordering it in a few days, just wanted to post a pic here to get a little feedback. The company is located in the UK and the price is 149.95 GBP about $281.00 US with free shipping. I am just concerned that the way they are positioned that they will be ingesting more hot air than cold.

http://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/i...el=142&kit=372

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PK295F.jpg (637.0 KB, 226 views)
Old 05-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Piper Cross Cold Air Intake

LTD, I agree with you. The way those filters are positioned they're going to be sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. The intakes need to be positioned out in front of the radiator to be effective. I'll bet it will have a nice intake growl though...

Old 05-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Piper Cross Cold Air Intake

I agree, but might go for it anyway just to dress up the engine compartment. As long as don't lose any HP, I will be happy...I can always put on the stock pipes for regular driving and put on the CAI for car shows. I was also thinking about seeing if the down pipes can be purchased separately and fabricate or attach a section of the OEM down pipes so that they can be re-attached in there regular position, again to add a little "bling" to the engine compartment.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sacrifice the K&N's and $281.00 for the under hood bling? I've been thinking about installing chrome pipes to replace the plastic ones but keeping the stock air boxes with K&N filters. I've seen some pretty nice looking installations on other cars. Let us know how this turns out. They do look nice!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Piper Cross Cold Air Intake

Its nice to see that someone has made a CAI for the Crossfire, but is it me or is that kit a bit pricey for what your getting. I mean its not like the piping is very long and those filters are probably NOT K&N's, but I'm not knocking it, just let us know how it works out and how it sounds!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 PM

I don't think I would pay that kind of money for that intake when you could make one your self just like it for cheaper.
Not to mention, compared to the stock system which is a real CAI, that aftermarket one is a HAI (hot air intake)! lol

Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 PM

looks kind of cheap.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

How do these people who make this get off calling cold air intake? They must thing everybody has turd for brains. That will suck in so much hot air its stupid.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Smile Re: Piper Cross Cold Air Intake

First of all it's not called a cold air intake, they call it an "Induction Kit" I have one. I'm not sure it's the best thing I could have done, and I've only had it for a few hundred miles so my report is preliminary.
First, I do not hear any difference. (No big deal, I don't want any)
Second, the low end performance seems to be better. I'm guessing that is because the initial acceleration is not clogged by the restrictive "stock" air circuit. I am only reporting what it seems like, I cannot make any real comparison tests.
Third, I do not see any difference in high end performance.
Fourth, My gas mileage for 300 miles in mostly city driving so far seems to be improved by about 5%.
Fifth, is the question of "hot air induction". Yes it draws it's air from the engine area so it is going to be hotter, but is that a big deal? The stock "Ram Air induction" is an oval measuring 2" X 1.5" at the intake then goes through a bend and then the air filter. That seems to me to be alot of resistance. I wonder if the "hot" air induction of the Pipercross is counter balanced by the much shorter and cleaner air path? Maybe keeping the original air path with a more efficient cleaner might have been better, but who knows? My $0.02 worth.