View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 07:47 PM
HDDP
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 Engine Transplant

BTW, I forgot to mention a few weeks ago I received the "phenolic spacers" from EvoSport... I don't know if their induction temperature reduction claims are true, but these things are nothing but 3mm thick gaskets that look like they are made out of fiberglass...

I looked-up the term phenolic in Wikipedia and this is what I came up with...

Phenolic resin can include any of various synthetic thermosetting resins, obtained by the reaction of phenols with simple aldehydes and used to make molded products, including pool and snooker *****, and as coatings and adhesives. See phenol formaldehyde resin for a fuller discussion of the chemistry.
The properties of phenolic materials make them very well suited to myriad industrial applications. Phenolics are the result of polymerization between resin and a base material that can be paper, glass or cotton. The base material used is dependent upon the intended application of the finished product. Paper phenolics are used in the manufacturing of electrical components such as punch-through boards. Glass phenolics are particularly well suited for use in the high speed bearing market.
Bakelite is made from phenolic resin.

Bakelite /?b?k??la?t/ is a material based on the thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin, polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride developed in 1907–1909 by Belgian-American Dr. Leo Baekeland. Formed by the reaction under heat and pressure of phenol (a toxic, colourless crystalline solid) and formaldehyde (a simple organic compound), generally with a wood flour filler, it was the first plastic made from synthetic components. It was used for its electrically nonconductive and heat-resistant properties in radio and telephone casings and electrical insulators, and was also used in such diverse products as kitchenware, jewelery, pipe stems, and children's toys. In 1993 Bakelite was designated an ACS National Historical Chemical Landmark in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.[1]
The retro appeal of old Bakelite products and labor intensive manufacturing has made them quite collectable in recent years.
The name Bakelite was originally a brand, trademark name, but it is currently considered a generic term for all phenolic resin products, though some phenolic products besides Bakelite are brand-named. [citation needed].

Ah well, at least we have answers to the questions posted in another thread...
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...henolic+spacer
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...henolic+spacer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0154.JPG (666.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0155.JPG (611.2 KB, 12 views)