Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
kapium
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Post your winter wheel/tire setups. Need help finding fitment.

Originally Posted by Electric Messiah
Any further suggestions? I simply don't know the science of tires and will end up buying the expensive Michelin A/S if I don't find something that better fits my needs.

Again, " Most important to me is longevity, noise, price, performance, in that order."

Thanks.
I live in Wisconsin, so I need to deal with snow a lot. I generally run summer and winter tire setups for my cars. I just got an SRT-6 for my wife and it has summer-only tires. For this car I decided not to get snow tires because they rarely come in all that useful, even here. Besides, last year I got rear-ended twice in my Jetta because I could stop and the idiot tailgating me couldn't. It seems to me that even in the winter the vast majority of your time is spent on clear roads. With Snow-start, traction control, stability and a torsional diff, I really don't think that snow tires are necessary for this car. Instead, I chose aggressive all seasons with very high light snow and ice ratings. Deep snow ratings are fairly useless since most people can't even get their cars moving in deep snow, in which case you have nowhere to go either. I decided to go for tires that would last longer and perform better on the dry pavement, but could perform well in the snow. Here's what I got, I'm installing this weekend:

2 225/40ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (front)
2 225/45ZR-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (rear)
4 18x8 Sport Edition ST4 SML
4 Retaining clip for al-p ring +
4 Required centering ring
4 Sport edition st 75mm cap

I ordered from Tire Rack.