View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 AM
dkniess
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car Ownership Nirvana???

In regards to insuring the Xfire as an "exotic": Hagerty Insurance requires that every licensed driver in the household have a car registered in their own name (Not including the collectible/exotic). Basically, they want to know that you're not driving it (the exotic) everyday, which I'm not. It's a weekender/occasional road trip car. It also has to be stored in a locked garage etc. My yearly premium is $453. That actually works out to be $37.75/month. So, I was a little off with my $35/month quote. My daily driver is a 1994 Chevy Cavalier convertible. (Yes, I know, but I teach high school and I park in the same lot as the kids. Only a crazy man would drive something nice to this place). The agent at Hagerty said that they generally prefer that the daily driver be something a little newer than my car, but I explained that I don't live far from work and that we drive my wife's car for longer trips, so they accepted my application.

Like I mentioned before, when you insure the car this way. You insure it for an amount. In my case $17,000. If the car is totaled 5 years from now, I'll still get $17,000. Normally, you just get the book value on a car and that is often less than you still owe. It's a win/win deal, if you don't drive your Xfire too much. I encourage anybody in the same situation to check out Hagerty. They've been around for quite a while and they insure cars worth 10 times as much as ours. I would also add that my Xfire only had 9,100 miles on it when I bought it last month. I think that helped bring home the point that the car was being driven more like a collectible/exotic. Anyway, check 'em out.