View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 PM
corfire
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Do you want a Keyless Entry Alert Tone?

Here are some more details about the installation with diagram and picture attachments:
The Remote Keyless Entry Relay is located under the cover on the under hood fuse panel. You need to remove the panel lid & cover, not just the lid to find it (See Pic 2 & 3).

The relay is on the driver’s side of the panel closest to the windshield (Pic 4 & Figure 2). I added the ‘tone’ buzzer inside the panel near the front and ran the connecting wires between the two staying clear of the fuses.

To make connections to the relay, I pulled the relay out and made my two connections to pins 85 & 86 on the bottom of the relay using small gage solid wire that I had on hand. In the circuit, pin 85 is connected to 12 VDC via fuse 35. Pin 86 is switched to ground as the relay is operated. I wrapped and squeezed the stripped solid wire around the pins, then dressed the ‘tails’ up the side of the relay on each side and taped them under tension against the relay (Pics 5 & 6). I decided not to solder them to the pins, because the connection seemed to be good and the buzzer is very low current (10ma). You could solder them, and I might if the connection proves to be intermittent later. However, one must be very careful not to apply excessive heat, because the internal relay pin connections could become damaged. Just a warning to proceed with soldering at your own risk. Of course, all of what you will be doing is at your own risk! By the way, you could make the connections in other ways. This just seemed to be the easiest to me. Here’s another warning. If you decide to use stranded wire, the stripped wire should be twisted and flooded with solder before trying to wrap it onto the relay pins to make sure that no loose strands short to other pins on the relay.

I did make solder connections between the relay and buzzer wires, and covered with heat shrink (Pics 7 & 8). Any other insulated connection method could be used. It would probably be a good idea to pull fuse 35 before re-installing the relay with the buzzer connected. However, I did not! Once the relay is re-inserted, the buzzer should make some noise along with blinking of the lights when the doors are locked or unlocked using the key fob.

THIS IS ACTUALLY EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS! Just pull the relay, connect the buzzer, and re-install it. The buzzer can be placed under the fuse block cover or outside the cover if you want it to be louder.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pic 2 - Fuse Block Location.JPG (257.2 KB, 2119 views)
Pic 3 - Fuse Block Cover.JPG (123.9 KB, 1707 views)
Pic 6 -Another Relay Wire Pic.JPG (478.5 KB, 1840 views)
Pic 7 -Relay with Tone Buzzer.JPG (478.9 KB, 1861 views)
Pic 8 -Relay Wired to Buzzer.JPG (475.5 KB, 1779 views)
Attached Files

Last edited by corfire; 03-26-2008 at 10:23 PM.