View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Steve Hellums
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger on the SRT-6

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Your right about cooling the temps down between rounds. I don't have any upgraded cooling mods and don't feel I need them for running at the track. I need 15-25 minutes to cool my car down and it flys. I tried something new this time around and it worked out pretty good. I put towels over the s/c and intake then load up the bags of ice on them. Put a big fan blowing right into the motor, with a window a/c unit blow cold air into the fan. This past weekend the hottest run at 103, not using a/c unit yielded me a 13.17. Next pass using both at 98 degrees yielded 12.97, same thing 95 degrees 12.93, 1st round eliminations 93 degrees 12.866 on a 12.86 dial. Took out #1 in points on that run. Kept working and made it to finals of ET points race. Lost in finals because I couldn't cool my car down. A dust storm was coming and ran like 10 minutes after my last run. Car slowed way down and couldn't break a 12! Lost but if I knew my exact temp, I would have adjusted my dial even further. I changed to a 12.98 dial and still ran slower. So cooling is key, for everyday driving yes an upgraded HE would be needed to have the power more available. The supercharger is very picky about temps. Otherwise deal with the heat and be happy. This is my second final round in 3 ET summit points races I've gone too. The most common phrase i get is "Oh, your the one in the Crossfire".
Having that HE temp gauge to see where the coolant temp is at is great. It is very accurate too, amg-jerry hooked up his data logger in my car & made a couple runs down the track and the gauge was right on the money of what the data logger said. It's also amazing how fast the coolant temps drop once you start driving the car down the road with out getting into it. I had my car out Saturday for a drive and went past the local 1/8th on my way to where I was going. I didn't know what class was running though, but I came pretty close to stopping to find out . But it was in the high 80's, I would have had to drive back home, put the DR's on and either drive or trailer it back. Good thing I didn't, after my little drive I took it started raining about 20 minute's after I got home. Sounds like you do a lot of racing and pretty good at it.