Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Supercharger on the SRT-6

Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger on the SRT-6

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
Yes he did pull his filter, I was there. I couldn't believe he would want to take the risk of sucking something into his S/C. All three of us with SRT 6's there pulled out our lower grills to try to get more air to our HE's later in the day. The weather was not a good for racing, low 80's and the air just felt thick. He was claiming a 12.2 run with a 1.5 60ft too, but the left lane was having some trouble. I really don't think he ran the 12.2, here's one of my slips from running in the left lane right after he done the 12.2 run. I think he pulled the filter to try to get another 12.2 run, I could claim to be first into the 10's
I watched a few SRT6 drag videos linked on this forum where I had thought I had seen the filter removed. When both horns are re-mounted on the driver side, one would expect to see a big filter on the passenger side. It also seemed that "12.2" has become the "holy grail" of 1/4 mile times. I wasn't sure so I shrugged it off.

But when RIOT was the only SRT at the Midwest Drags who ran a "12.2" (there's that number again) and then I was looking at those pictures posted on the MB Forum, I figured that had to be the trick to hit the "holy grail" of 1/4 mile times.

I actually thought that pulling the filter would work - dangerous yes - but effective.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Voyager
so do you think the ultimate intake would be taking those rubber tubes off the needswings intake and putting one on each side of the bdj and taking the curve pipe in the front and moving the bdj to the front where the needswings is. it would be a mirrored needswings cai.
Like this one made by VRP

Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup exactly like that one. it looks like it owns ALL

Old 06-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I find this VERY interesting. Its almost systematic. Your saying for every 10 degrees your HE temp raised your 1/4 mile et dropped 1/10th?
Yep, I can look at what my gauge reads for the HE coolant and pretty well tell you what the time will be . If I was bracket racing and have my time dialed with the HE coolant at certain temp, I could use my fans/IC pump circuit between runs to keep it at that certain temp. After lunch at the event my temp was back down in the low 90's and ran a high 12.5, next run (just went down came right back up to run again) the temp just broke 100 and I ran a low 12.6. If I had the time I'd like to go to the local 1/8th and see if I could win a little $$, there's no 1/4 mile tracks within 100 miles from me. Personally I think my little set up would work out good at the track as long as I had 15 or 20 minute's between runs to get my HE coolant temp where I wanted it .

Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 AM

Try it and let me know how that driver side radiator to headlight clearance works out.

Originally Posted by GatorLCA
Like this one made by VRP

Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM
THREE 6S
Thumbs up Re: Supercharger on the SRT-6

More food for thought....

Dyno numbers were provided on the SL55 /NW /BDJ, which proved there really is no advantage between the BIG THREE. Here is a little more information to hopefully stop the superiority complex about intakes available to our community .

NW
1/8 ET- 8.515
1/8 MPH- 90.28
60’- 2.019
Temp- 90

SL55
1/8 ET- 8.506
1/8 MPH- 83.48
60’- 2.074
Temp- 93

BDJ
N/A

I went onto dragtimes.com and searched for an SRT6 running in 90+ degree heat, with only the NW or BDJ intake. I wanted to compare those intakes to my SL55 setup, which is running in 90+ degree TX heat. Finding one running the NW intake only and none running the BDJ intake, I listed those 1/8 runs above. Rob did the NW run and I did the SL55 run, so dyno numbers and track numbers show NW compared to SL55 will net you no real advantage. I’m not knocking the NW intake at all, just providing numbers so don’t shoot the messenger .

Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by SRT6 Gang Member
More food for thought....

Dyno numbers were provided on the SL55 /NW /BDJ, which proved there really is no advantage between the BIG THREE. Here is a little more information to hopefully stop the superiority complex about intakes available to our community .

NW
1/8 ET- 8.515
1/8 MPH- 90.28
60’- 2.019
Temp- 90

SL55
1/8 ET- 8.506
1/8 MPH- 83.48
60’- 2.074
Temp- 93

BDJ
N/A

I went onto dragtimes.com and searched for an SRT6 running in 90+ degree heat, with only the NW or BDJ intake. I wanted to compare those intakes to my SL55 setup, which is running in 90+ degree TX heat. Finding one running the NW intake only and none running the BDJ intake, I listed those 1/8 runs above. Rob did the NW run and I did the SL55 run, so dyno numbers and track numbers show NW compared to SL55 will net you no real advantage. I’m not knocking the NW intake at all, just providing numbers so don’t shoot the messenger .
Thank you for the comparison, it's definitely very helpful. However, wiser people than I always said that the trap speed is the measuring stick of a fast car, and the ET is the measuring stick for a fast driver. The fact that you were able to click off practically the same time while being 7 mph slower (!) is pretty amazing.

I raced more experienced buddy of mine; he was stock, I had intake/exhaust/gears. I put 0.15-0.2 on him in the 1/8th, with 3mph higher trap speed. And I know he was launching a lot harder than I, so he should have easily put a couple tenths on me in the exact same car.

When I see the numbers you posted, it simply tells me that SL55 intake guys are much better drivers than NW guys. j/k

In all honesty, specially with kinda similar 60' times, I'm not sure what to take away from these numbers, except maybe different power/torque curves for the intakes.

Last edited by LookieLou; 06-23-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 AM
THREE 6S

Originally Posted by LookieLou
Thank you for the comparison, it's definitely very helpful. However, wiser people than I always said that the trap speed is the measuring stick of a fast car, and the ET is the measuring stick for a fast driver. The fact that you were able to click off practically the same time while being 7 mph slower (!) is pretty amazing.

I raced more experienced buddy of mine; he was stock, I had intake/exhaust/gears. I put 0.15-0.2 on him in the 1/8th, with 3mph higher trap speed. And I know he was launching a lot harder than I, so he should have easily put a couple tenths on me in the exact same car.

When I see the numbers you posted, it simply tells me that SL55 intake guys are much better drivers than NW guys. j/k

In all honesty, specially with kinda similar 60' times, I'm not sure what to take away from these numbers, except maybe different power/torque curves for the intakes.
I was thing the same about the power/ torque curves also.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
Yep, I can look at what my gauge reads for the HE coolant and pretty well tell you what the time will be . If I was bracket racing and have my time dialed with the HE coolant at certain temp, I could use my fans/IC pump circuit between runs to keep it at that certain temp. After lunch at the event my temp was back down in the low 90's and ran a high 12.5, next run (just went down came right back up to run again) the temp just broke 100 and I ran a low 12.6. If I had the time I'd like to go to the local 1/8th and see if I could win a little $$, there's no 1/4 mile tracks within 100 miles from me. Personally I think my little set up would work out good at the track as long as I had 15 or 20 minute's between runs to get my HE coolant temp where I wanted it .
Your right about cooling the temps down between rounds. I don't have any upgraded cooling mods and don't feel I need them for running at the track. I need 15-25 minutes to cool my car down and it flys. I tried something new this time around and it worked out pretty good. I put towels over the s/c and intake then load up the bags of ice on them. Put a big fan blowing right into the motor, with a window a/c unit blow cold air into the fan. This past weekend the hottest run at 103, not using a/c unit yielded me a 13.17. Next pass using both at 98 degrees yielded 12.97, same thing 95 degrees 12.93, 1st round eliminations 93 degrees 12.866 on a 12.86 dial. Took out #1 in points on that run. Kept working and made it to finals of ET points race. Lost in finals because I couldn't cool my car down. A dust storm was coming and ran like 10 minutes after my last run. Car slowed way down and couldn't break a 12! Lost but if I knew my exact temp, I would have adjusted my dial even further. I changed to a 12.98 dial and still ran slower. So cooling is key, for everyday driving yes an upgraded HE would be needed to have the power more available. The supercharger is very picky about temps. Otherwise deal with the heat and be happy. This is my second final round in 3 ET summit points races I've gone too. The most common phrase i get is "Oh, your the one in the Crossfire".

Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
Your right about cooling the temps down between rounds. I don't have any upgraded cooling mods and don't feel I need them for running at the track. I need 15-25 minutes to cool my car down and it flys. I tried something new this time around and it worked out pretty good. I put towels over the s/c and intake then load up the bags of ice on them. Put a big fan blowing right into the motor, with a window a/c unit blow cold air into the fan. This past weekend the hottest run at 103, not using a/c unit yielded me a 13.17. Next pass using both at 98 degrees yielded 12.97, same thing 95 degrees 12.93, 1st round eliminations 93 degrees 12.866 on a 12.86 dial. Took out #1 in points on that run. Kept working and made it to finals of ET points race. Lost in finals because I couldn't cool my car down. A dust storm was coming and ran like 10 minutes after my last run. Car slowed way down and couldn't break a 12! Lost but if I knew my exact temp, I would have adjusted my dial even further. I changed to a 12.98 dial and still ran slower. So cooling is key, for everyday driving yes an upgraded HE would be needed to have the power more available. The supercharger is very picky about temps. Otherwise deal with the heat and be happy. This is my second final round in 3 ET summit points races I've gone too. The most common phrase i get is "Oh, your the one in the Crossfire".
Having that HE temp gauge to see where the coolant temp is at is great. It is very accurate too, amg-jerry hooked up his data logger in my car & made a couple runs down the track and the gauge was right on the money of what the data logger said. It's also amazing how fast the coolant temps drop once you start driving the car down the road with out getting into it. I had my car out Saturday for a drive and went past the local 1/8th on my way to where I was going. I didn't know what class was running though, but I came pretty close to stopping to find out . But it was in the high 80's, I would have had to drive back home, put the DR's on and either drive or trailer it back. Good thing I didn't, after my little drive I took it started raining about 20 minute's after I got home. Sounds like you do a lot of racing and pretty good at it.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 AM

I seen where you installed the gauge and it's looks great. Where did you install the temp sensor for the gauge. I'm assuming before the ic pump. Also do you have pics of that install? By the way love your gallery, you have an awesome layout. Looks like lots of hard work paid off. I do hit the races quite a bit. 2000 miles so far. I started when the car hit 1000 miles and just passed 3000 miles. I don't drive it much for anything else. I can't take too much credit, the car is super consistent and very, very, reliable. With knowing temps I could add it with my et predictor data. The DA for the other night was 4500'.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
I seen where you installed the gauge and it's looks great. Where did you install the temp sensor for the gauge. I'm assuming before the ic pump. Also do you have pics of that install? By the way love your gallery, you have an awesome layout. Looks like lots of hard work paid off. I do hit the races quite a bit. 2000 miles so far. I started when the car hit 1000 miles and just passed 3000 miles. I don't drive it much for anything else. I can't take too much credit, the car is super consistent and very, very, reliable. With knowing temps I could add it with my et predictor data. The DA for the other night was 4500'.
Thanks for the compliments on the layout, it's like having my own mini state forest and my house sit's 500 feet back into the woods. But it's a real pain to keep the place looking good, I work my a$$ off and don't have much free time because of it. Here is a pic of the sending unit mounted in the HE -
Moving The HE Forward To Add Cooling Fans-p1020498.jpg
And here is the link to the thread of the install.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=21007
I also have a circuit built that turns on the I/C pump when I turn on the fans with an indicator light mounted on the gauge. I have it all hooked up so you don't even have to have the car running or even the key in the ignition. Just a click of a little key fob from up to 50 foot away.

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 06-23-2008 at 12:14 PM.