Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 AM
waldig
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Can Waldig make a better intercooler unit???

Well the initial testing has redirected me into a different direction. I had gotten 1/2" pipes and figured to have two cores in series to achieve the greatest temperature drop. HOWEVER, the first thing I did was to measure the flow which was 3.7 Gpm with the Johnson pump on a LET core, now it is 1.3 Gpm. [The 1/4" ends would be way toooo much restriction.]

This low flow is due to the fact that the pipes are not hollow and in fact have "turbulators" or twisted copper fins that break up the flow internally to avoid any laminar flow characteristics. These cause too much flow restriction and Ill drain the coolant probably the 50th time and re-pipe the cores.

The plan now is to feed the coils in the middle, flowing toward both ends which will have 1/4 the restriction overall and 1/2 the fluid flow thru each core; but the same dwell time. The fluid flow is running about 40 to 100 inches of linear motion per second.

I trust that this will cause a measurable increase in the flow over the previous set up, boosting the Gpm to over 4 and reducing the head pressure the pump has to develop. More to follow.

Testing Testing Testing, if you can't measure it how do you know that you are going in a positive direction? I wanna get this right as I feel that this car has more potential if it were not as hot as a Goats butt in a Pepper patch.

Enjoy, Woody
my goal : cool