Thread: Sky
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 04:08 PM
DesertFox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sky

Originally Posted by Kurts
Hold it here.......you're telling me that a simple ECU tune wil give the car a 100hp increase?!
Not a chance....I'm not buying it for a heartbeat.
From some quick reading, that's exaggerated, but not by that much.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...45/#post631922

Went from 219rwhp almost stock (+Magnaflow exhaust) to 235rwhp w/ a couple more mods (high flow cat, a spring???, and a wastegate mod to 280 rwhp with the current popular tune.

That's 45 rwhp, by the most conservative of estimates ( >50hp to the crank), and >55rwhp (~70hp crank) seems to be a better estimate of the tune's capabilities. Here's why:

- All the dyno runs appear to be Dyno Dynamics, which is fairly conservative, even more so than a Mustang dyno, supposedly.
- The wastegate mod allows them to get a little more boost out of their engine, but it is temporary. The ECU starts relearning the fuel programming to drop boost back down over time.
- The most conservative estimate is the power gain from 235rwhp to 280rwhp, but the wastegate mod was reversed once the tune was added. The tune bumps boost to 23psi max permanently, unlike the wastegate mod's temporary gain, and going over 23 psi appears to put the engine in limp mode.
- Since upping the boost (which is what the wastegate mod essentially did) was probably the main contributor to the power gain from 219 to 235, a starting point of 225rwhp seems to make a little more sense.
- 280rwhp is more power than most stock SRT-6's, IIRC (260rwhp on dyno dynamics, is that right?). And I've seen dynos of 280rwhp for SRT-6's after a couple mods. At that point, they've got the weight advantage (~300 lbs lighter), and they may have a better torque curve as well (hopefully not, but properly-sized turbos are usually known for their low-end grunt).

Know your enemy.