View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 AM
+fireamx
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: Looking for Crossfire chassis expert.

Originally Posted by John Webster
Thanks for your concern +fireamx.

I've taken it to all five local Chrysler dealers. Two refused to work on it because they didn't have Crossfire trained mechanics. One gave me appointments then cancelled them when I got there twice, the third time they called me and told me not to bring the car in because they were out of business. One refused to work on it a second time because they said they are only required to perform work that will get the car back to the selling dealership. The selling dealership has had the opportunity to fix the car or comply with the lemon law six times. I sent in the card that comes with the car for direct intervention from Chrysler and recieved no response.

I believe I've mentioned the darting problem on this forum several times since it first appeared about seven months after I bought the car new in March of 2004.

I really doubt it's the traction control as the door problems started at the same time as the darting problem. In order to actuate the traction control the rotation rate of the right front wheel would have to change which is unlikely in the short space of time it takes to pass over a manhole cover at 40 mph. The door and window problems made it clear to me that the car was changing shape with changes in the temperature which would indicate that the bonds that hold it together had failed.

I'm an engineer and once worked for a company that manufactured glue bonded aircraft so I have some idea of what can go wrong in that process. I also held an SCCA license from 1975 to 1981 racing Formula Vee, F440 and Formula Ford cars as well as doing complete rebuilds myself on two of those cars so I like to believe I have some understanding of how a car should handle.
Well John, I'm not an engineer, but I don't believe there are any "glue bonded" parts on our cars that would effect its "structural integrity" and cause it to suddenly start driving "whacky", and your door/window problems can be realigned. They aren't welded (or glued) in place. With N.E. Ohio roads being the way they are, things can be "jarred" loose, and get out of alignment pretty easily, suspensions as well.
I don't feel the need to pass along my personal resume to add any credibility to my opinions either. It makes me wonder why you felt the need to do so, and to come off sounding so condesending, when I was only trying to help and never questioned any of your credentials.
Take your car to a body shop and have em put your car on frame rack to see if it's out of tolerance, and when they tell you it's not, start looking elsewhere. I won't waste any more of your precious analitical time with my stupid suggestions again. Good Luck.

Last edited by +fireamx; 02-01-2009 at 12:26 PM.